Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #99

Correct!.

Thanks to Mr. D for posting about the episode. Information like this can be added to our memory, and may help in a future situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
...One thing about the peanut gallery is that I was there you were not.....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2019, 07:53 AM   #100

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
You might try to contact California Tow Truck Association. Home • CTTA
That's one I need to remember. I assume every state has one?

With a 45' coach it is very difficult to feel the drives spinning, especially if the tag is down. I've had a few times where I thought I was on fairly solid ground and realized it was spinning. Fortunately I realized it before digging a big hole and was able to lift the tag and back out of the hole to take a different track.

This story reminds me why I don't believe in insurance for towing or mechanical. I want to be in control and not wait for someone to make a decision. I'll gladly pay out of my own pocket and be on my way.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #101

With a tag axle, air ride coach, if the drive tires sink, even a bit, the ride height valve is going to release air, because they sense the chassis being high. That's opposite of what you want to happen.

That loads the tag tire with the weight, while unloading the drive tires. At that point, traction would almost disappear and you wouldn't know it unless you were watching the speedometer.

I suppose that if you suspect soft ground, dumping the tag before moving may help, but as Mr. D said, the ground had been fine.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #102

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
Raise the front as high as it will go and connect to the bottom of the center frame. Keeps all lines away from suspension.
Front tires continued to sink as we waited for the tow to arrive. I just had Active Air installed two weeks before and the front suspension was up as far as it could go. See earlier pictures.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #103

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I am not going to fault you for getting stuck. It can happen to anyone. I have parked my motorhome in the same place for 16 years. No problems. Last year it rained for over a week straight. I went to bring the motorhome down to the house to get ready for a trip. As soon as I left the pad it went down to the axles in the ground. I did not want to call a tow truck. I was a RV service manager for 15 years and I knew tow trucks damage RVs about a third of the times they are used. I drove to Lowes and bought 2 2X12s. I put a couple of old boards under my jacks and lifted the coach out of the mud. I let the coach down on the boards and backed up 11 feet. Jacked it up again and another 11 feet and I was on firm ground. Worked for me.
No jacks, air leveling only.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I suppose that if you suspect soft ground, dumping the tag before moving may help, but as Mr. D said, the ground had been fine.
It's always a tough decision. You know the ground is wet but the coach has been an umbrella over the tires. You walk the track desired, jump up & down, it feels fine. If you're lucky you can get it rolling without breaking the surface tension. It's a guessing game every time.

This isn't Mr. D's first rodeo so I'm guessing we would have made the same decision.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #105

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
No jacks, air leveling only.
In that case, of course, you are correct. Without jacks you are out of luck. You had to call for help. You just got the wrong guy. Again not your fault. Glad you posted. If it happens to someone else, they can tell your story and refuse to let them hook to the wheel.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #106
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
That's one I need to remember. I assume every state has one?
That I do not know
Old 05-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #107

NC has Towing and Recovery Professionals of NC.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #108

Mt. D, with my best intentions; for a JIC situation, look at what I just found on the Iowa 80 truck stop website.Truck Claws truck tire aids.

They aren't cheap @ $300/pr, but I consider them a solid investment. I think I will buy some JIC I wind up stuck in the mud at a rally or something. They claim they work better than, or injunction with tire chains for these muddy situations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:12 AM   #109

Quote:
With a tag axle, air ride coach, if the drive tires sink, even a bit, the ride height valve is going to release air, because they sense the chassis being high. That's opposite of what you want to happen.
Not sure. I think that as the axle sank the frame also goes down so the ride height valve would not see the drop.

Quote:
That loads the tag tire with the weight, while unloading the drive tires. At that point, traction would almost disappear and you wouldn't know it unless you were watching the speedometer.
I don't know how the RV is plumbed, but on the air ride trucks I have worked the tag picks up supply from the RHV, so when you load the tag it carries the load at the same height as the drivers. I would think that the RV would not use the same size bags, so the tag would carry less weight, but would carry at the same height.

Quote:
If you are on a loose or slippery surface, lifting the tag will transfer weight to the drive and improve traction. On a soft surface, the extra weight on the drivers will make your ruts deeper. Mud is both slippery and soft. Looking at the picture the only chance to drive out would of been before he tried to move jack up the front and put planks under the front tires. As soon as that front dropped he was done. Maybe he could spin and dig his way forward some, but as the front tires moved and sank he was chocked... Yes 20/20 hindsight, sorry OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
It's always a tough decision. You know the ground is wet but the coach has been an umbrella over the tires. You walk the track desired, jump up & down, it feels fine. If you're lucky you can get it rolling without breaking the surface tension. It's a guessing game every time.

This isn't Mr. D's first rodeo so I'm guessing we would have made the same decision.
Over a lifetime I have watched over-educated construction supervisors pull this kind of antics while trying to convince me to take a truck someplace I didn't think it should go. Almost as good as the "That clay is good and hard, just slick on top." Sorry I'm a dumbsnot, the top is the only part I can drive on! Takes a real fat guy to put the same PSI as even a light 50,000 vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Mt. D, with my best intentions; for a JIC situation, look at what I just found on the Iowa 80 truck stop website.
They aren't cheap @ $300/pr, but I consider them a solid investment. I think I will buy some JIC I wind up stuck in the mud at a rally or something. They claim they work better than, or injunction with tire chains for these muddy situations.
I think I might study those before I dropped the coins; If the strap holds, but your front is sunk, you could dig holes in the ground pretty fast. If the strap did not hold no telling what they would put holes in...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:23 AM   #110

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, I'm on the road home. Alignment and resetting the steering wheel got me moving. However the drivers side front is wearing funny. No pulling, brakes are good so I suspect a bent spindle.
Had to use my emergency retract rods to hold the slide in since apparently the violent shaking when the first tow strap broke also broke something in the HWH mechanism. Put a call in to HWH on Wed but no call back yet.
Active Air was not affected and it's doing it's job.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Not sure. I think that as the axle sank the frame also goes down so the ride height valve would not see the drop.

I don't know how the RV is plumbed, but on the air ride trucks I have worked the tag picks up supply from the RHV, so when you load the tag it carries the load at the same height as the drivers. I would think that the RV would not use the same size bags, so the tag would carry less weight, but would carry at the same height.

If you are on a loose or slippery surface, lifting the tag will transfer weight to the drive and improve traction. On a soft surface, the extra weight on the drivers will make your ruts deeper. Mud is both slippery and soft. Looking at the picture the only chance to drive out would of been before he tried to move jack up the front and put planks under the front tires. As soon as that front dropped he was done. Maybe he could spin and dig his way forward some, but as the front tires moved and sank he was chocked... Yes 20/20 hindsight, sorry OP.

Over a lifetime I have watched over-educated construction supervisors pull this kind of antics while trying to convince me to take a truck someplace I didn't think it should go. Almost as good as the "That clay is good and hard, just slick on top." Sorry I'm a dumbsnot, the top is the only part I can drive on! Takes a real fat guy to put the same PSI as even a light 50,000 vehicle.

I think I might study those before I dropped the coins; If the strap holds, but your front is sunk, you could dig holes in the ground pretty fast. If the strap did not hold no telling what they would put holes in...
Many MH tag axle pressures are set by a simple regulator and don't adjust with the air suspension. The tag tire will hold the chassis up, leaving the drive axle unloaded or hanging. Seen it happen on charter bus' on steep apron driveways.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #112

Quote:
Well, I'm on the road home. Alignment and resetting the steering wheel got me moving. However the drivers side front is wearing funny. No pulling, brakes are good so I suspect a bent spindle.
Had to use my emergency retract rods to hold the slide in since apparently the violent shaking when the first tow strap broke also broke something in the HWH mechanism. Put a call in to HWH on Wed but no call back yet.
Active Air was not affected and it's doing it's job.
I don't want to stir up your ulcers, but I think you should hear about what has happened to a pro.
A quarry I was hauling for had a real unqualified manager. They sold a bunch of rock to a company putting is sewers for a new subdivision. First load, everybody got stuck. All the owner operators refused to go back unless they built a road. The manager called in company drivers to haul the rock. Each truck was pulled half mile across a field, dump the load, and pulled back to road. Out of 8 trucks, 3 had enough of a diamond pulled in the frames they could not get the axles lined up again. Now all the trucks where packing more than your gross, but store-bought Mack dump trucks, 22,000 steer, 24,000 lift, and 46,000 drive axles...
If a tire is wearing, something is not lined up. With your slide out issues, and knowing one side was pulled, I would want to look deep before I started fixing...

Quote:
Many MH tag axle pressures are set by a simple regulator and don't adjust with the air suspension. The tag tire will hold the chassis up, leaving the drive axle unloaded or hanging. Seen it happen on charter bus' on steep apron driveways.

Thank you. On all my trucks that had spring on the drivers just set bag pressure with simple regulators, one adjusted underneath for the lift, and the other adjusted from driver seat to regulate the weight on the axle.
But as to the OP's original problem, would not matter it was the steering axle that stuck him....
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote