RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Went looking for 2004 - 07 used diesel pushers.

WOW...it was amazing to me how disrepair the units were. lots of broken latchs, all had dead batteries, leaking roofs, really stained carpet from leaks, seats that were really worn bad, miles on units were 17,000 to 99,000 miles. And they were asking the NADA high price. Coaches were Monico's, holiday rambles, tiffin and a Thor (really bad). And the sales guy said the 05 Monico (17K miles) was in really good shape. Very disappointed. So, my question is...are all used coaches at dealerships this bad? all looked rode hard and put away wet...

5.9l Cummins 03 RAM 3500 DRW (IM FRED), Haul'en a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS (OH ETHEL)...3 yrs snowbirding in FL, with my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby-tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I too have been surprised at the number of poorly kept Rvs that get traded in. And unlike car dealers, RV dealers seldom do any cleaning or repairs upfront - they wait to see what the buyer will negotiate for.

You have a better chance at finding a well-loved RV in a private sale.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
WOW...it was amazing to me how disrepair the units were. lots of broken latchs, all had dead batteries, leaking roofs, really stained carpet from leaks, seats that were really worn bad, miles on units were 17,000 to 99,000 miles. And they were asking the NADA high price. Coaches were Monico's, holiday rambles, tiffin and a Thor (really bad). And the sales guy said the 05 Monico (17K miles) was in really good shape. Very disappointed. So, my question is...are all used coaches at dealerships this bad? all looked rode hard and put away wet...
No they are NOT all that bad!

That year spread is about where I spent all my research time and I can tell you there's a regular Bell curve representing what you will find out there. Most are good, some are really bad, and some are really good! There's going to be the odd flyer out there, too, on both sides. There was one we looked at that the steps were so mangled I was afraid to put my weight on them. Then the Beaver that you could have eaten lunch off of any square inch.

Are you going to dealers only? Any online research? RVT.com and rvtrader.com will really have a list of stuff to look at.

Don't give up!

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
Jean n Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I too have been surprised at the number of poorly kept Rvs that get traded in. And unlike car dealers, RV dealers seldom do any cleaning or repairs upfront - they wait to see what the buyer will negotiate for.

You have a better chance at finding a well-loved RV in a private sale.

X2.
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #5

A majority of coaches on Dealership lots are on consignment, so dealers do as little as possible maintenance wise. There are still good dealerships that take pride in there work and will not sale coaches that are run down.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post
No they are NOT all that bad!

That year spread is about where I spent all my research time and I can tell you there's a regular Bell curve representing what you will find out there. Most are good, some are really bad, and some are really good! There's going to be the odd flyer out there, too, on both sides. There was one we looked at that the steps were so mangled I was afraid to put my weight on them. Then the Beaver that you could have eaten lunch off of any square inch.

Are you going to dealers only? Any online research? RVT.com and rvtrader.com will really have a list of stuff to look at.

Don't give up!

Steve
Steve...lots of internet searching...RV Trader, CL, dealer for looking at units, and just started looking at rvt.com...thanks for that tip!
5.9l Cummins 03 RAM 3500 DRW (IM FRED), Haul'en a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS (OH ETHEL)...3 yrs snowbirding in FL, with my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby-tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Why would someone with a really nice older rv take base trade in price from a dealer ? Only the crappy ones get traded. All the good ones go private sale.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #8

There were at least 7 very nice coaches at MHSRV a few months ago , most under 100k

Several were consinement

Keep looking
Old 03-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #9

Ive never known that to be true at all. of course nice by private and always seen nice in lots also.. i beleive our state is one of highest income states{course only 600,000 people} nation wide and many of those types want nothing to do with hsowing bickering and very time consuming process. sure most lots have back row. but sumpin for everyone. many with private sale bragg it up good and clean em and never done mainteneince. same with cars and trucks, high end and low end

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Why would someone with a really nice older rv take base trade in price from a dealer ? Only the crappy ones get traded. All the good ones go private sale.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #10
TTD

Like the O.P., that is what I found when I was looking for coaches last year.

I ended up lucking out finding a gem on a dealer lot... but my first goal is to always buy from a GOOD owner... one that maintains and loves their coach... and knows it inside and out.
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #11

I'm not at all surprised. I found the same thing when buying homes, boats, and cars. It's a quest to find anything that isn't in need of repair.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #12

Finding a good one takes effort. We almost jumped on one we would have regretted, out of desperation. Found the one we wanted the next day. It took a couple of overnight trips. We considered that part of the experience.

Take a look at Kenai Coach to see what well maintained, quality coaches are available.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #13

Between my friends and I, we have looked at many rvs over the years. We went to a couple dealerships, and they had some used ones on the lot. Of course, " they just got them in on trade, and hadn't had a chance to look them over, or clean them". Months later, the same units were still there, in the same condition. They know, just like cars, most people buy within several weeks of making a decision to buy one. As previous poster said, they wont put a nickel into them until they have a buyer, especially if it is there on consignment. Look for a private seller, that everything they own looks well maintained. No scrap cars in the yard, or junk. Look at the owner as much as the product.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think it depends on the dealer. I've driven by used RV lots where it looked like Ma and Pa Kettle and all their relatives traded in their RV's. My dealer primarily sells new, so he only keeps very nice trade ins. I traded in my 2005 Diplomat that was immaculate and had tons of upgrades and I'm not talking about stuff bolted on everywhere. It sold in two weeks.

Just keep looking, but look at higher end lots and dealers as they are more apt to keep the nicer ones. Another issue you may encounter. There was a financing rule (not always followed) that most banks won't finance a coach ten or more years old. My dealer said recently, that they are getting even more strict and limiting it to eight years.

So...….your best bet, may be to chase the ads and find a really nice private party sale. Make sure you have the financing/cash in place and ready to buy when you find the one. DP's in the 34' to 38' range go really fast!

Ours friends were looking for a ice Tiffin Allegro Bus, while living in Oregon. He searched high and low and found one back east. He communicated back and saw a lot of photos. He ended buying a 2011 Allegro Bus and it's REALLY nice. It was very well kept and only had a few minor issues.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel