Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We're being tested!

We are planning to try a year of fulltiming soon and I think Somebody up there is trying to see if we're ready!

We left last Wednesday for a short trip down to the coast to visit the relatives. We were running late and got it too much of a hurry! We didn't use the checklist (which we NEVER fail to do). We had hooked up the car the night before to save time. We pulled out and got about a mile down the road when this pickup came racing up behind us, passed us, then came to a dead stop in front of us! I had a few words for him before I saw it was our neighbor! I got out of the MH and he pointed to the rear of the MH. There was our power cord stretched out like a tail 25' behind us! It had gotten under the toad tires and was torn to shreds!

It was obviously not usable at all, so we had to make a choice, either call off the trip or continue and operate on generator the entire 5 days. We decided we didn't want to unload that sucker, so we kept on trucking! I ordered a new 40' 50-amp power cord to the tune of $289 and will be installing it this week!

The CG where we had made reservations would not let us run the genny all night, so we had to stay at the Wal-Mart campground. We were sitting there watching TV when we heard a loud noise. Water was flowing from under the shower stall! We turned off the pump to stop the water and I went out to search for the problem. The fitting on the PEX tubing that connected to the tub faucets had broken off!

There was not place open that time of night to get a fitting so we were without water! We found a spigot and filled a gallon jug with water to flush the toilet. Annette has already taken a bath but I was really sweaty from crawling around under there in 90% humidity looking for the water problem. I'm gonna pass along a little tip to you, no charge! You CAN take a bath with a wet-wipe if necessary! The next morning I found a hardware with exactly the part I needed and had the problem fixed in 15 minutes!

The final test was the fridge. The outside fans quit working and the temp inside the fridge got up to 48 degrees! We had to go to Wal-Mart and buy a cooler and 20 lbs of ice to keep everything from spoiling!

I'm happy to report that we did not lose our cool through the whole ordeal! After that trip, I think we're ready for anything! Are you listening Lord? WE PASSED THE TEST!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #2

I've done the power cord trick before. It's rather embarrasing.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hello, Joe! You guys are one of our favorite posters, we read as many of your posts as we can. Just a guess, you already passed "the test" a long, long time ago! Glad to see several little bumps in the road do not even phase folks such as yourselves. I imagine lots of folks would have responded differently, probably even simply turned around and gone back home.

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #4

I haven't done the power cord thing ...yet..., but one time we were coast-to-coasting, pulling our 5th wheel through Ohio and I noticed the brakes seemed like they weren't working right, looked down at the brake controller and the display was lit up RED! Found out the too-long trailer hookup cable had been dragging and got ground in half. Luckily I had all the tools with me to fix it in a handy shopping center parking lot. Then there was the time I forgot to fold the steps back up during a roadside quick stop. THAT was a job to replace but at least I was able to upgrade the original unergonomic steps with much better ones......
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Joe. Because everything comes in threes and you've had your three, albeit all at once. I think you are good to go.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #6

Since we are sharing stories, here's mine. My wife, 2 kids and 2 dogs are not full timers, but I convinced her to buy a motorhome last December so as a family we could tour the US. I've never been out of the Midwest, so wanted to see all the wonderful National parks and create some memories!
I checked the motorhome over in March, before our first trip to Branson, MO. Changed all fluids, put steering stabilizer and rear track bar on. Added tire pressure sensors and inspected brakes and everything else that I could. I did notice that it was missing the oil fill cap, but didn't think too much about it, just bought a new one and put it on.
Branson trip was great, no issues, family and dogs loved it. Did 3 more trips to Rock Cut State Park, Lake Geneva, and Rock Island KOA, again, no issues.
Now for the big trip to Orlando, Fl, for all the parks. Split the trip up into 2 days, no issue the first day, but 2nd day, 90 miles further to go, my low oil pressure indicator came on. I was already exiting to get gas, so I continued to the Petro and filled her up and idled to the back lot, where I used Coach Net to arrange a mobile tech. 5 hours later, I had a new oil sending sensor installed and with oil pressure reading normal again, I set out for the last 90 miles.
I got all but 10 miles away from Fort Wildnerness and the pressure dropped again. At this point, it's 9:30, raining, and since there is no abnormal noise coming from the engine, I decided to just keep driving. We made it!
Since it happened again, I decided to call a Ford dealer and get it looked at the next day, Monday. I called them, and they felt that since the engine wasn't ticking/knocking, to just drive it the 20 miles so they could look at it.
I started the drive and after 10 miles, with low oil pressure, the engine started knocking. I made it all but one mile before it locked up. Luckily, after sitting 2 hours waiting for Coach Net to find a tow, the Florida road side assistance pick up towed me out of traffic and all the way to the dealer!
So what was the root cause? Remember that missing oil cap? Well, nuts were found in my oil pan and the nut casings blocked the oil pickup.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1410881217.761570.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	634.1 KB
ID:	73976Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1410881458.366748.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	589.9 KB
ID:	73979
dempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempen View Post
Since we are sharing stories, here's mine. My wife, 2 kids and 2 dogs are not full timers, but I convinced her to buy a motorhome last December so as a family we could tour the US. I've never been out of the Midwest, so wanted to see all the wonderful National parks and create some memories!
I checked the motorhome over in March, before our first trip to Branson, MO. Changed all fluids, put steering stabilizer and rear track bar on. Added tire pressure sensors and inspected brakes and everything else that I could. I did notice that it was missing the oil fill cap, but didn't think too much about it, just bought a new one and put it on.
Branson trip was great, no issues, family and dogs loved it. Did 3 more trips to Rock Cut State Park, Lake Geneva, and Rock Island KOA, again, no issues.
Now for the big trip to Orlando, Fl, for all the parks. Split the trip up into 2 days, no issue the first day, but 2nd day, 90 miles further to go, my low oil pressure indicator came on. I was already exiting to get gas, so I continued to the Petro and filled her up and idled to the back lot, where I used Coach Net to arrange a mobile tech. 5 hours later, I had a new oil sending sensor installed and with oil pressure reading normal again, I set out for the last 90 miles.
I got all but 10 miles away from Fort Wildnerness and the pressure dropped again. At this point, it's 9:30, raining, and since there is no abnormal noise coming from the engine, I decided to just keep driving. We made it!
Since it happened again, I decided to call a Ford dealer and get it looked at the next day, Monday. I called them, and they felt that since the engine wasn't ticking/knocking, to just drive it the 20 miles so they could look at it.
I started the drive and after 10 miles, with low oil pressure, the engine started knocking. I made it all but one mile before it locked up. Luckily, after sitting 2 hours waiting for Coach Net to find a tow, the Florida road side assistance pick up towed me out of traffic and all the way to the dealer!
So what was the root cause? Remember that missing oil cap? Well, nuts were found in my oil pan and the nut casings blocked the oil pickup.
Attachment 73976Attachment 73979
OUCH!! I bet that was expensive.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dempen View Post
Attachment 73976Attachment 73979

That hurts!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
We got back from a short trip yesterday...our first trip of the summer because of a leg injury .... I was reading through Joe's story and I jumped up and ran outside and plugged the rig in....We parked it at home late afternoon and I forgot to plug in....Thanks for reminding me Joe....you passed the test.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We are planning to try a year of fulltiming soon and I think Somebody up there is trying to see if we're ready!

We left last Wednesday for a short trip down to the coast to visit the relatives. We were running late and got it too much of a hurry! We didn't use the checklist (which we NEVER fail to do). We had hooked up the car the night before to save time. We pulled out and got about a mile down the road when this pickup came racing up behind us, passed us, then came to a dead stop in front of us! I had a few words for him before I saw it was our neighbor! I got out of the MH and he pointed to the rear of the MH. There was our power cord stretched out like a tail 25' behind us! It had gotten under the toad tires and was torn to shreds!

It was obviously not usable at all, so we had to make a choice, either call off the trip or continue and operate on generator the entire 5 days. We decided we didn't want to unload that sucker, so we kept on trucking! I ordered a new 40' 50-amp power cord to the tune of $289 and will be installing it this week!

The CG where we had made reservations would not let us run the genny all night, so we had to stay at the Wal-Mart campground. We were sitting there watching TV when we heard a loud noise. Water was flowing from under the shower stall! We turned off the pump to stop the water and I went out to search for the problem. The fitting on the PEX tubing that connected to the tub faucets had broken off!

There was not place open that time of night to get a fitting so we were without water! We found a spigot and filled a gallon jug with water to flush the toilet. Annette has already taken a bath but I was really sweaty from crawling around under there in 90% humidity looking for the water problem. I'm gonna pass along a little tip to you, no charge! You CAN take a bath with a wet-wipe if necessary! The next morning I found a hardware with exactly the part I needed and had the problem fixed in 15 minutes!

The final test was the fridge. The outside fans quit working and the temp inside the fridge got up to 48 degrees! We had to go to Wal-Mart and buy a cooler and 20 lbs of ice to keep everything from spoiling!

I'm happy to report that we did not lose our cool through the whole ordeal! After that trip, I think we're ready for anything! Are you listening Lord? WE PASSED THE TEST!
It's like I said to my last campground neighbor that told me about something stupid he did,I told him it just goes to show that no matter how long or how well seasoned you are at RVing,sooner or later you do something stupid.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
It's like I said to my last campground neighbor that told me about something stupid he did,I told him it just goes to show that no matter how long or how well seasoned you are at RVing,sooner or later you do something stupid.

You nailed that one for sure!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,

I almost did the same thing back in 2012 at a Motorcoach Resort in Everglades City Florida. Thankfully, I looked in my left mirror just as the electric cord was taunt enough to snap off my electric cord cover and was just about to take out the custom pedestal which are priced well over $1000 dollars each.

I picked up the cover to look at it later, wound the cord in after disconnecting it and left.

So, we both failed the last and very most important part of any departure: a thorough walk-around the coach to look at everything, awnings, slides, compartment doors, cords, hoses, ride height, check lights, etc.

It has never happened again as I ALWAYS do my walk-around with the engine running PRIOR to moving the coach one inch.

Regarding the other stuff that happened, well that can happen to anyone anytime. You dealt with it logically and sensibly.

Like I said in other posts that I have contributed to regarding the NotSoCold, once you finally get thoroughly fed up with the lousy performance of it, out the door it will go and into a landfill. A residential is the only way to go especially if you are contemplating Full-Time RVing for any length of time.

The Samsung RF197 has improved our RV Lifestyle 1000%.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Done the power cord thing 1.5 times (one time I unplugged it from the MH but left it sitting in my back yard)

The other time.. Well I got lucky.. I used to use a 1 foot cord with a 50 amp Marinco outlet (Connects to the inlet on the motor home) and a TT-30 plug This was both adapter and adapter.. Then I used a TT-30 extension cord.. Well....

Over time the plug and outlet got kind of bad.. I replaced both the plug on the TT-30 Extension but just spliced the short adapter cord to the other end of the Extension So now I have both a 30 amp and a 50 amp shore cord, the 30 is a superflex (Does not get stiff in cold weather) Very nice.

The splice broke.. So when I returned to the site later in the day.. All I had to do was re-splice.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #14

Congratulations!

Congruatulations on passing the test! You did very well. A couple of tips.

Get an extra pex shut off valve. Something like this.
Shut-Off Valve, 1/2" CTS - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts and Accessories

That way when you have a leak you can install it on the line and shut off the water to that thing (in your case the shower, in our case the toilet) and still use the water in the rest of the RV.

Another useful thing is the flexible freezer packs. We have saved the ones that come with shipped cold items in our freezer. When we leave for a trip, because our driveway isn't level, I put them on and in between the items in the fridge to keep things cold until the fridge catches up.

After the fridge is cold I move them up to the freezer. Then they are refrozen until I need them again which is often at a sight seeing site or a hiking spot where we have parked and it isn't level and thus not safe to run the fridge. I turn off the fridge, move some of the freezer packs down (depending if I have anything in the freezer, I don't I move them all down) and it keeps everything cold until I can run it again. Also works when your fridge acts up. The fridge box is really well insulated so you don't need a cooler.

The freezer packs are also very useful if you get injured!
micd is offline   Reply With Quote