Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #15
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to RV'ing. I'm also new, my wife and I purchased a used RV about a month ago. The couple selling it were AWESOME! We could tell they were parting with a member of their family when they sold us this RV. They even insisted we take it on a test drive that lasted over an hour before they would consider selling it to us. During that test drive I received an invaluable education from an old timer RVer.

There has been very good advice already given, I'll only repeat the importance of a final walkaround prior to moving the RV. Think of it as a preflight. I prefer to do this walkaround after everyone is inside the RV and ready to leave, with the engine running, jacks raised, antenna down, all shore connections disconnected. I look high, low and in the middle. Tire pressure was checked before but I do kick the tires just because it is something I always watched my grandfather do (he was an old school truck driver from WWII).

We took this RV for a long trip last week. We travelled from Southeast NM (near Roswell) to Las Vegas, NV. It was a wonderful trip, one we greatly enjoyed. The excellent maintenance of the RV proved itself. We put a little over 2K miles on it.

The one thing I had to deal with was the fact that now I, and I mean ME, was now the one slowing down the flow of traffic. This was a new role for me. Our other vehicles include a Dodge Ram1500 (yup, it has a HEMI), a Hyundai Sonate 2.0 Turbo (wife's car), and an older Porsche my son drives to school. I'm not accustomed to being the slow one in traffic. Yet after a short time of driving this RV, I began to enjoy and really appreciate the slower pace as I was able to look around and enjoy the scenery. Something that suprised me was that not one person honked at me, nor did they even seem too upset that I was slowing them down. It dawned on me that I'm not the only RV on the road, driver's are used to seeing an RV travelling slowly and just take it in stride.

I do pull over if there is a long line of traffic behind me but otherwise I just enjoy the drive. It's pretty cool driving a bus :-)

(edit) Oh yeah, I gave you credit for referring me since this thread prompted me to register.

RapTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take your time, check everything twice, don't get caught in a must back up to get out place until you are very comfortable. Use a marshaller to back up. Don't trust gas-station employees to keep your rear end clear when turning out. Have fun.

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
One of the earlier posts put it into context; Routine,Routine,Routine! Do everthing on set-up and take down the EXACT same way every trip! Make sure you and your dear wife are on the same page, and I would suggest she takes care of inside stowing of gear, clean up, jacks down/up, slides out/in, water heater off, fridge on gas or inverter, tv antenna down (on the common crank type antenna I tie a red sash to the handle to remind us its up, same thing with any roof vents that don't have MaxAir covers) and coffee travel mug filled for AM departures. I take care of all outside chores; clean up of campsite, stow all chairs and tables, clean Coleman Roadmate Grill and stow, clean, fold and stow patio mat, take down awning, stow bikes on rear ladder bike rack, hook up tow dolly or position to hook up after pull out, dis-connect water, drain and stow hoses, pressure regulators, and water filter and always last, dis-connect shore power cord (always turning the breaker(s) off on the power pedestal. I then walk around the whole rig and lock all basement doors except for dump station then take another walk to look everything over again including standing on the picnic table (if there is one) to check roof top. In 5 years+ of RV'ing we have not lost an antenna, vent cover or gone down the road with our gear falling out of the basement storage. Routines get it down with out thinking.

Best of Luck on your travels and many safe and happy miles!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #18
Hey everyone, thanks for all the advice. The (short) trip went really well. My wife and I had a great time. We are looking so forward to getting out more!

Randy & Kathy
2012 Itasca Suncruiser
Toad - 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote