Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benellie View Post
How does the K3 stack up against the Roadmaster and the Duramax chassis? Had a K2 under a Zephyr and didn't like it.
None of the coaches you reference have a Duramax chassis. I assume you are talking about the Country Coach DynoMax chassis which is the best of the bunch

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #16

There are definitely some great deals out there on 2000-2002 Prevost based rigs; I just wish they had been in my budget (which was a bit more modest).

Steve

Old 12-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Is this true even if the engine does not have DEF?
We have EGR and SCR trucks in our fleet. As the emission controls tighten all heavy vehicles will be SCR (def)
They can't make exhaust gas recirculating engines meet the next set of standards.
Some of the higher powered EGR vehicles certainly struggled with the extra heat involved but I can't see any motorhome owner ever having a problem with either system.
Although EGR engines have added fancy filters and exhaust systems the Def. engines just add more Def.
It is my experience that the cost of operating later model engines has not increased. ( I have a Detroit series 60 which is an EGR engine)
If its Cummins Detroit or soon a Paccar engine I'd be happy either way.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #18

Quote:
There have been three major levels of EPA compliance for Diesel engines.
1. 2004; enhanced electronic controls & many engines added EGR systems.
2. 2007; Particulate systems added; slobber tube eliminated, and ULSD mandated.
3. Second level of NOX control kicks in which is met primarily by the DEF systems. Navistar medium duty engines use enhanced EGR.

These dates are when the engine was build. Coach builders stock piled engines ahead of the dates and built coaches for a considerable period with engines built before the latest level. Most '07 coaches was built with no particulate filters and most '10 coaches with no DEF.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
None of the coaches you reference have a Duramax chassis. I assume you are talking about the Country Coach DynoMax chassis which is the best of the bunch
The OP listed a CC coach which was built on the DuraMax chassis. The Duramax which CC built in house and the Roadmaster S Series are similar in design. Both are Semi Monocoque chassis with a bridge structure below welded and braced to the steel framed house structure and roof framing. This results in a very rigid structure which has very little flex. This results in great road manners.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

The OP listed a CC coach which was built on the DuraMax chassis. The Duramax which CC built in house and the Roadmaster S Series are similar in design. Both are Semi Monocoque chassis with a bridge structure below welded and braced to the steel framed house structure and roof framing. This results in a very rigid structure which has very little flex. This results in great road manners.
This information about the brand of chassis is quite incorrect. Dons is correct and accurate. CC made and uses a dynomax chassis designed and built in house. Dura max is gm's diesel engine
Old 12-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
This information about the brand of chassis is quite incorrect. Dons is correct and accurate. CC made and uses a dynomax chassis designed and built in house. Dura max is gm's diesel engine
Sorry about that guys. My feeble brain read Dynomax. The Only thing worse than getting old is not getting old. I blame it on birthday poisoning.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
laj

Couldn't agree more with you. When you solve this issue please let me know as i would like to be your first and most valued customer. Had this problem for yrs.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
There are definitely some great deals out there on 2000-2002 Prevost based rigs; I just wish they had been in my budget (which was a bit more modest).

Steve
BUT Not even close to what the OP is asking about?

Quote:
We're in the market for either a Beaver Marquis, Monaco Sig, CC Magna or a Newmar King Aire. All in the 2007-2009 range. Which coach wins fi all things are equal in price and condition?

obviously he wants a 4 slide newer unit.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
BUT Not even close to what the OP is asking about?

Quote:
We're in the market for either a Beaver Marquis, Monaco Sig, CC Magna or a Newmar King Aire. All in the 2007-2009 range. Which coach wins fi all things are equal in price and condition?

obviously he wants a 4 slide newer unit.
Or did the OP just want a high-quality coach and perhaps might be okay with a 2-3 slide Prevost?

I was pointing out that if quality and craftsmanship was the aim, then there are other alternatives. Not everyone's hung up and having 4 slides.

Steve
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Or did the OP just want a high-quality coach and perhaps might be okay with a 2-3 slide Prevost?

I was pointing out that if quality and craftsmanship was the aim, then there are other alternatives. Not everyone's hung up and having 4 slides.

Steve
let me tell you that a A 2009 Beaver Pat Thunder 43 4 slide 650HP unit isas good as or better than any prevost and at 300K cheaper
i have a friend whom has the beaver and another with the prevost.The problem with the prevost is its badley under powered for the weight at 500HP
Like my prevost buddy says/"I dont win any races"
Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #26

Quote:
In recent years there has been 2 upgrades to diesel engines based on new EPA standards.

1) Engines built after 1-1-2007 require post treatment of the exhaust in the form of a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). These filters do require cleaning, generally at higher mileage intervals (100K or so). Some have regeneration cycles which injects diesel fuel into the DPF to burn off.

2) Engines built after 1-1-2010 have lower NoX emisssion requirements. Most have adopted the use of injecting Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) into the after exhaust treatment to meet these standards.

In both cases, the cost of these after treatment systems added significant cost to the coach when new.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
king aire or magna blow off the other two
Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Yes I meant Dynomax. What makes it the best?

Tags
diesel