Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #1

We're looking to buy a new(to us) 45' Diesel Pusher

Hi All,

We're in the market for either a Beaver Marquis, Monaco Sig, CC Magna or a Newmar King Aire. All in the 2007-2009 range. Which coach wins fi all things are equal in price and condition?
Benellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The one you like the best and fits into your budget?

That assumes you find one you like, can afford, get a real good inspection and that comes back in good shape.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #3

Any of those four would work for me. All are good quality well built MH's. Only other I would add to the list is a Travel Supreme Select. Good luck shopping. Just remember to take your time, as there are alot of great units out there that can be bought at a nice price.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
All four on your list are very nice coaches. I would recommend you add Monaco Executive (very similar to the Signature), Country Coach Affinity (very similar to the Magna), Newmar Essex (very similar to the King Aire), and the Travel Supreme Select to your list.

You will find a wide variety in pricing, so make sure you check both bluebook and nationwide price camparisons.

You will learn something from every coach you look at, so take your time and make a list of likes and dislikes.

Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #5

I agree with Vito. The Exec would be another good choice, as well as, the Holiday Rambler Navigator. As said, you have a number of good coaches to choose from.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #6

One thing to consider is one with an engine which was manufactured before 1-1-2007, which is when a new wave of EPA diesel engine emission requirements came into effect. Nothing wrong with these engines. They are cleaner, but do require more maintenance, and added significant cost to the coach when new.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #7

You have gotten some good responses for coaches to add to your list. However, particularly when buying used (smartest thing in my opinion), price and condition are never equal. Of these two, condition is everything. You are looking at coaches 4-7 years old. This is a great range to shop for a high level coach, but poor maintenance by a previous owner can cause you a problem. Look for complete maintenance records. If they are unavailable, get a current sample of the engine oil and transmission fluid analyzed and insist on a complete maintenance cycle to establish a base for future maintenance. Check those tire dates and don't go over 7 years to start.

By the way, my wife & I are 6 years full time in an '03 Monaco Sig.

Let us know what direction you go.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #8

All great replies. Thank you all. We're starting to lean toward the King Aire because of the 200 gal fuel capacity and the 140 gal water cap. Any cons to the King Air? And, is there a benefit to having an all electric coach as opposed to LP for cooking only? Are Florida coaches something to stay away from? Oh, also how important is the Collision avoidance systems....I know, I know...it all depends on who's driving...lol..
Old 12-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
One thing to consider is one with an engine which was manufactured before 1-1-2007, which is when a new wave of EPA diesel engine emission requirements came into effect. Nothing wrong with these engines. They are cleaner, but do require more maintenance, and added significant cost to the coach when new.
Is this true even if the engine does not have DEF?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #10

How does the K3 stack up against the Roadmaster and the Duramax chassis? Had a K2 under a Zephyr and didn't like it.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benellie View Post
Are Florida coaches something to stay away from? ..
Actually, I would want to stay away from any coach that was driven in the "Salt Belt" - i.e. states that use road salt in the winter. Parking an RV near, but not right next to salt water does not have anywhere near the damage potential of road salt. Make sure that the chassis and underbody are carefully inspected for corrosion and rust. I was a mechanic for over 40 years in the NY area, and corrosion on the average 4 year old local cars was worse than 14 year old cars from Fla. And Cali.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Actually, I would want to stay away from any coach that was driven in the "Salt Belt" - i.e. states that use road salt in the winter. Parking an RV near, but not right next to salt water does not have anywhere near the damage potential of road salt.
I need to disagree just a tad bit.

I know of a 2007 coach that spent winters in FL and the extent of the corrosion is UNBELIEVABLE. The corrosion permeated in every place imaginable. I was shocked! Even to covers to the generator in the front were rusted and who knows what was inside the generator housing itself? The painted surface in the engine compartment were pealing off in sheets too.

Granted...this was such an extreme case and I haven't seen anything like that before or since. But...I too have a concern for that issue now. I haven't seen any "rust bucket" MH look near as bad as this one did. Shame too...the inside was marvelous! Made me a bit sick to my stomach.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benellie View Post
Hi All,

We're in the market for either a Beaver Marquis, Monaco Sig, CC Magna or a Newmar King Aire. All in the 2007-2009 range. Which coach wins fi all things are equal in price and condition?
Beaver pat thunder or country coach maybe Monaco
Newmar king air no
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #14

One negative of the King Air is that it is not a Prevost - what year Prevost would that same money buy? A Prevost would really be a cool coach. Even if early 2000's.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel