Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #15

So what's wrong with taking a gasser on a cross-country trip?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
So what's wrong with taking a gasser on a cross-country trip?
It's not so much I was talked out of the gasser part as I was talked into the used part. It's all about resale. You can follow the whole long story here if you're interested.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
I'm guessing that the MH in question is out here on the west coast, and that is a good thing. Less opportunity for rust. I would not buy something like this sight unseen. Get on a plane and inspect the coach.
X2! Catch a plane and plan to spend some time. All costs incurred in such a trip are very small compared to later problems or being unhappy with your purchase and then having to start over.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Opinion?

Spend $300-$500 on a good MH inspector first before you spend a lot more on your own inspection. The person you hire should be able to tell you whether the MH is worth the trip. Even a less expensive "agent" for you can give you a heads up on any issues you will want to look at before you put out travel expenses.

After that...I totally agree...get out there and get in it but at least you will have a better idea what you are getting into.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Opinion?

Spend $300-$500 on a good MH inspector first before you spend a lot more on your own inspection. The person you hire should be able to tell you whether the MH is worth the trip. Even a less expensive "agent" for you can give you a heads up on any issues you will want to look at before you put out travel expenses.
Again, we really wouldn't know what to look for in an inspection besides the obvious. We have been in the same model locally but with less options and higher asking price. Would us flying out there just be to make sure it didn't smell funny or have any unexpected interior wear and tear? Would an inspector not be able to tell us this?

What do you mean by a "less expensive agent"?

In any case, I do agree that someone should look at it first before we fly out.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #20

With a $128,000.00 budget I would think you could find a comparable deal much closer,keep shopping nearby.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
Again, we really wouldn't know what to look for in an inspection besides the obvious. We have been in the same model locally but with less options and higher asking price. Would us flying out there just be to make sure it didn't smell funny or have any unexpected interior wear and tear? Would an inspector not be able to tell us this?

What do you mean by a "less expensive agent"?

In any case, I do agree that someone should look at it first before we fly out.
I have some information on highly qualified MH inspectors that will personally perform a detailed inspection but will coordinate with other inspectors they have confidence in outside of there home territory. As an example, they will do the detailed inspection for about $300 but only charge $150 for outsourced inspections. That is kind of what I meant by "less expensive".

I'm like you. I know just enough to know that I don't know enough. Certainly there is a fair amount of stuff I can now look at and judge but there are more systems that I wouldn't know the tell-tale signs of problems. Since my plan is to upgrade from gas to diesel in the next year, I will need someone with diesel MH experience to help me.

Funny you should mention the "smell". The first few MHs we looked at made my wife's nose turn up. Now that we know a bit more about all the possible sources of smell, we also know that in some cases it is just part of a MH sitting out and getting hot with no holding tank maintenance as an example. Certainly a good inspector may be able to tell you it "smells" and even the most likely reason. Still, it has to pass your smell test and/or for you to determine if the smell is temporary and with proper cleaning and use will not stay that way. Make sense?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #22

As others have said buying sight unseen can be a huge risk.. We went on a caravan to the Canadian Maritime Provinces a few years ago. One of the participants bought an older used motorhome sight unseen and had it delivered to her home. In the time it took her to travel from Vancouver Island to Newfoundland and back again she had nearly as much in repairs as the original purchase price.

In her case she had to replace the tires, the exhaust system, a wheel bearing seized blowing out the ring and pinion, and broken transmission casing. If she had the thing inspected prior to purchasing I'm sure the inspector would have advised her to continue to look around.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
With a $128,000.00 budget I would think you could find a comparable deal much closer,keep shopping nearby.

Easy for you to say coming from FL. There's not a lot to look at in MA in the winter.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Easy for you to say coming from FL. There's not a lot to look at in MA in the winter.
EXACTLY...even in IL. Clearly the hot bed for MH sales in in the southern and SW states. Looking at the MH lots around hear is like looking at the turkey leftovers after Thanksgiving. Ya might find a good meal but more often than not you get just enough to make a sandwich. LOL Of course, that doesn't hold true for buying a new MH but I can't do that.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
As others have said buying sight unseen can be a huge risk.. We went on a caravan to the Canadian Maritime Provinces a few years ago. One of the participants bought an older used motorhome sight unseen and had it delivered to her home. In the time it took her to travel from Vancouver Island to Newfoundland and back again she had nearly as much in repairs as the original purchase price.

In her case she had to replace the tires, the exhaust system, a wheel bearing seized blowing out the ring and pinion, and broken transmission casing. If she had the thing inspected prior to purchasing I'm sure the inspector would have advised her to continue to look around.

There's no question we would hire an inspector. My question is whether we really need to go out there even if we're paying someone who knows waaaaay more than we do $300-$500 for a thorough inspection. I don't know what more we could inspect that they wouldn't. Not being flip, just honestly don't know if there's something I'm not thinking of.

We do know we like the coach and the floor plan as we test drove one locally.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily

There's no question we would hire an inspector. My question is whether we really need to go out there even if we're paying someone who knows waaaaay more than we do $300-$500 for a thorough inspection. I don't know what more we could inspect that they wouldn't. Not being flip, just honestly don't know if there's something I'm not thinking of.

Can't recommend not seeing and driving it before buying it regardless of independent inspection. There are always little things on a used unit that that come down to personal preference. I accepted some small dings in the bottom of the panel in the refrigerator - you may not have. The inspector would say it's normal wear and tear and you might say it's a deal breaker. There could be a dozen of these little things that basically cause no real issue - but if they bug you - they'll be first thing you see when you sit on the couch or walk by the ding in the bay door. It's up to you of course - but even if the issues are not operational or serious - they can sour your experience. Why risk it? Your mileage may vary.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
There are a lot of good samaritans out here. I know that if I knew where this coach and dealer was, and it was within an hours drive of me i would be glad to take a look a give you my honest 1st impressions of the coach.
Not an inspection, just my impressions that it was atruly a nice one and on the surface cared for.

A west coaster
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

I think ultimately you will want to make sure you want THAT vehicle. Test drive it, check out the features, smell it, review the inspector's report with the vehicle to available to verify the items you can and then write the check.

Certainly, a good inspection report should give you confidence that a trip will not be a waste of time. Still...trust through verification might be in order.