Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #29

I disagree with you that just because you are in Mass there are not a lot of motorhomes closer. What is the model and make and year you are looking at? Unless it is such a rare model that only a few were made, maybe, but I live in upstate NY and between me and you there are probably 1000 motorhomes for sale just at dealers. I don't think you have looked enough closer.

Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
I disagree with you that just because you are in Mass there are not a lot of motorhomes closer. What is the model and make and year you are looking at? Unless it is such a rare model that only a few were made, maybe, but I live in upstate NY and between me and you there are probably 1000 motorhomes for sale just at dealers. I don't think you have looked enough closer.

I don't know how else to look except internet searches. Any suggestions?

Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
I have to agree with Dan. I live in western Mass, found a DP in Brewster on the Cape on Craigs. I drove down 130 miles "just to look at it" and bought it. That was in May of this year. It is a wonderful rig.

Please do not send a PENNY to any would be seller without meeting him and seeing the rig. A guy on Craigs had a deal too good to be true, was 1500 miles away, and was leading me on. I smelled a rat and asked for the freightliner chassis number that he gladly provided to me. Turns out it was owned by someone else and when I called them they thought I was nuts.

He even sent me a copy of his drivers license and when I called the State Police to check there was no such ass wipe. Be careful.

60Vette
Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #32

I don't know the details of the trip you're planning in January, but here's a suggestion.
Have the unit inspected. If it passes inspection, talk to the inspector on the phone about any worries you might have and possible "different ways of seeing things". If there is any doubt that he has the same way of seeing things as you do, fly over to see it.
If you buy it, why can't you leave it there? You then fly back in January with your travel companion(s) and start your trip from there. You'll avoid a back and forth trip across the country during your trip, and save enough to pay all the extra expenses incurred for the inspection(s).

Just a thought
BillJ999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi 4T,

I personally would not buy a Rv sight unseen even if you hire an insopector and then pay for it to be driven to you.

There must be the same kind of Rv here on the east coast or wherever you live. Dealers have a lot of leftovers now and need to unload them before the 2013's come in or they will have to start paying for them. Go to Camping World they sell motorhomes.

If you live in a particular state go to www.winnebagoind.com and look for a dealer near you. For that matter you can go to any dealer manufacturer like Tiffin or Navistar on Google and find a dealer near you.

Again I wouldn't buy a pig in a poke so to speak.

Good Luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #34
srh

Monaco Owners Club
By now you have heard so much that even if you weren't confused, you probably are! But personally, I see nothing wrong with making some commitments to buy sight unseen (contrary to what some others have expressed). The key to that is to hire an RV shop that will do a thorough inspection. This will take anywhere from five to six hours and will cost you from $400-$700 - a small price to pay. If you are not a mechanically inclined (I mean professional mechanic) this inspection is by far better than your own inspection of looking around and kicking the tires. There are more hidden things in a MH than one could tell by just looking at it with a nonprofessional eye.
I did exactly this - saw a coach and tentatively agreed on the price and hired a garage, paid them $600 for a 6 hour inspection. When I was satisfied with the inspector's report I went down (800 mi in my case) and made the final transaction and drove the coach home. I have done this on two separate motor homes and have been very satisfied with the results.
Some other things to keep in mind: do not send the seller any big amount of money before you go. Secondly, very important, in my view, has the coach been kept in a garage inside or parked outside.
The bottom line is, the fact that it is 2,800 mi away from you should not deter you pursuing it.
BTW, you can negotiate part or all of the inspection cost with the seller.
Wish you all the best!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
By now you have heard so much that even if you weren't confused, you probably are!
Ha ha! Yes! Just when we think we've made a decision, we start questioning everything.

However, we do appreciate the time people have taken to offer their opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJ999 View Post
If you buy it, why can't you leave it there? You then fly back in January with your travel companion(s) and start your trip from there. You'll avoid a back and forth trip across the country during your trip, and save enough to pay all the extra expenses incurred for the inspection(s).
If it weren't for a 90lb dog we might consider it.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Take a step back and ask yourself this question:

If it's a good value, why is it sitting out here on the RV-crazy West Coast without a buyer?

Any rig that doesn't appeal to local buyers should be a big red flag, in my opinion.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #37
srh

Monaco Owners Club
After looking closer at the discussion thread, $128K for a 2008 Fleetwood may seem like a great bargain not counting the additional expenses of getting it - IMHO this is not what I would go too far out of my way for. Take a look at DPs at PPL Motors, as an example - I just glanced at it and saw a 2008 Itasca Ellipse listed for 138K. Much better than a Fleetwood! My point being you might be able to find something better and closer.
Just a thought!
GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh
After looking closer at the discussion thread, $128K for a 2008 Fleetwood may seem like a great bargain not counting the additional expenses of getting it - IMHO this is not what I would go too far out of my way for.
GOOD LUCK!
I must be missing a thread or two. Where did OP cite Fleetwood. Been looking for some detail to aid in comment and not seeing it. It's like a unicorn in a mythical land to me so far other than 2008 Diesel. Guess I better go back to square 1 and start over.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #39

why would you spend that much money on the other side of the country without seeing the mh when you check mh closer to home for sale?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
I recommend that you have the engine and tranny inspected at a Cummins approved service point. Would have saved us some aggravation and money.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I must be missing a thread or two. Where did OP cite Fleetwood. Been looking for some detail to aid in comment and not seeing it. It's like a unicorn in a mythical land to me so far other than 2008 Diesel. Guess I better go back to square 1 and start over.
In post #13 on this thread I answered detailed questions. They were buried in the quote.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #42

Is this it?

http://m.rvt.com/detail.php?id=840841

Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote