Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #43

If you like the local one, ask the dealer to make the upgrades you want and add in what you would have paid for your plane ticket, lodging, and the transporter. Make the offer. The worst they can say is no. They're probably not moving a ton of inventory in MA right now.

Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily

In post #13 on this thread I answered detailed questions. They were buried in the quote.
The brochure on FW site does say 350 HP. Sipping coffee and chewing on it. We have 325 turbo in '08 Bounder and meets our needs. 350 on 40 should do ok but others will argue point. I read the other post you linked - is this still going to be a 1 trick pony - buy it - take trip and sell it? That was the plan, right?

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #45

Freightliner Owners Club
4TFamily

Is it the one in Encino? I gave you an offer for a looksee and smell test. Just a 45 minute drive for me. and its freeeeeeeeeeeee
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #46

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
I disagree with you that just because you are in Mass there are not a lot of motorhomes closer. What is the model and make and year you are looking at? Unless it is such a rare model that only a few were made, maybe, but I live in upstate NY and between me and you there are probably 1000 motorhomes for sale just at dealers. I don't think you have looked enough closer.
Here's a Fleetwood Discovery 40X in North Carolina

2008 Fleetwood DISCOVERY 40X LAMAN for sale | Concord, NC
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
We've been convinced by the fine people on this forum to opt for a used diesel for our cross country trip, rather than a new gasser.

We found one we really like, a 2008. Only problem is it's 2800 miles away. Our plan is to begin a cross country trip in January and this coach is all the way across the country already. So flying out and driving back to begin our trip is out of the question. Would it be crazy to just hire an inspection service to check it out for us and purchase it sight unseen?

Then how do we get it here? We got one price of $3500 for a transportation service. Anyone have any other ideas for getting it here?

Backing up a bit. When we ask about maintenance records, what exactly should the maintenance be? What should we be looking for in those records? Are there any questions specific to a diesel we should be asking of the seller?

Thanks for all your help so far. We're getting there!
1. Hire an inspector and get the results of his inspection.
2. Fly out there and touch and feel......and drive.
3. If you're taking a cross country trip anyway, why not start your trip where the MH is and drive it back yourself?

Don
Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #48
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I must be missing a thread or two. Where did OP cite Fleetwood. Been looking for some detail to aid in comment and not seeing it. It's like a unicorn in a mythical land to me so far other than 2008 Diesel. Guess I better go back to square 1 and start over.
Post #13!
Regards!!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
Here's a Fleetwood Discovery 40X in North Carolina

2008 Fleetwood DISCOVERY 40X LAMAN for sale | Concord, NC

Saw that one but look at the list price!....also, we really want the u-shaped dinette and 2 sofas rather than those two chairs.
Thanks, though.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
4TFamily

Is it the one in Encino? I gave you an offer for a looksee and smell test. Just a 45 minute drive for me. and its freeeeeeeeeeeee

That was an unbelievably generous offer. Thank you so much, but it's not in Southern California. :(
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
The brochure on FW site does say 350 HP. Sipping coffee and chewing on it. We have 325 turbo in '08 Bounder and meets our needs. 350 on 40 should do ok but others will argue point. I read the other post you linked - is this still going to be a 1 trick pony - buy it - take trip and sell it? That was the plan, right?

Yes, possibly selling when we return. Unless we sell the house instead. We're not ruling out anything at this point.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
In other words, you just want to be sure that they actually have those records. You'll review them after the purchase. Because, it's too much hassle to pour over them before purchase. You have a professional look over everything ($300-$500) before you buy to assure yourself that it's mechanically sound and everything is working.
I asked about records. He said he wrote down when they were done, but his friend owns a diesel engine business and did all the maintenance. This is the second owner.

How much maintenance would it have needed in 20,000 miles? If it weren't maintained properly, would the professional inspection find that?

Anyone have any recommendations on inspection services?
Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Probsbly I missed the thread thay said where you lived , But if you live near any major city there are bound to be many RV's nearby . I'll bet Camping world has a gazillion in all shapes and colors and price ranges . Winter may be a good time to bargain too. I don't think I would spend $500 to see a MH on the west coast . The emotional and financial involvement would be too great to be able to just walk away
Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
I asked about records. He said he wrote down when they were done, but his friend owns a diesel engine business and did all the maintenance. This is the second owner.

Second owner. No maintenance records, 'cause the maintenance "was done by (whoever) that owns a diesel engine business".

This would alarm me...
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Second owner. No maintenance records, 'cause the maintenance "was done by (whoever) that owns a diesel engine business".

This would alarm me...
It has me wondering, but I also wonder how much neglect it could suffer in 20,000 miles/4 years. Should there have been a lot maintenance done in this time frame? If it were grossly neglected, would a good inspection pick this up?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
Probsbly I missed the thread thay said where you lived , But if you live near any major city there are bound to be many RV's nearby . I'll bet Camping world has a gazillion in all shapes and colors and price ranges . Winter may be a good time to bargain too. I don't think I would spend $500 to see a MH on the west coast . The emotional and financial involvement would be too great to be able to just walk away

You'd be surprised. We have one dealer within 40 minutes who now only sells used and has maybe 3 decent ones. There are 3 smaller ones that are 1 1/2- 2 hrs away, in NH and RI. I'm in MA. There are no Camping Worlds anywhere near us. There are no large dealers like we see in FL. Many of the dealers have started focusing on trailers.

I agree about the emotional involvement in traveling that far, but I"m pretty sure as long as this passed a thorough inspection, we would buy it. If it didn't, we wouldn't bother flying out.

There was just a long thread about how far people have traveled while looking for their coaches. Maybe I'll take a look over there and see how people have fared.