Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
Here's a Fleetwood Discovery 40X in North Carolina

2008 Fleetwood DISCOVERY 40X LAMAN for sale | Concord, NC
Tell Tom Johnson you want a u-shaped dinette put in this one and make a offer of $154 or so- heck of a lot closer and being sold by a reputable dealer. JMO

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
It has me wondering, but I also wonder how much neglect it could suffer in 20,000 miles/4 years. Should there have been a lot maintenance done in this time frame? If it were grossly neglected, would a good inspection pick this up?
I don't know what kind of maintenance might have been required for the rig in question, but I do know that the break-in period for an engine is critical for its longevity. The one you're contemplating (long distance) has had two owners throughout that time. One has to wonder how much care they took during that critical phase of an engine's life.

As a matter of fact, it occurs to me that the unit you're talking about may be one that has passed through the hands of folks doing exactly what you're doing now: Looking to buy something for a very short term, and reselling it when that term ends.

I think that rigs managed that way would tend to have had less attention to detail than one that was owned by someone that at least initially intended to keep it for a longer term.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I don't know what kind of maintenance might have been required for the rig in question, but I do know that the break-in period for an engine is critical for its longevity. The one you're contemplating (long distance) has had two owners throughout that time. One has to wonder how much care they took during that critical phase of an engine's life.

As a matter of fact, it occurs to me that the unit you're talking about may be one that has passed through the hands of folks doing exactly what you're doing now: Looking to buy something for a very short term, and reselling it when that term ends.

I think that rigs managed that way would tend to have had less attention to detail than one that was owned by someone that at least initially intended to keep it for a longer term.
In the end, you put your money down and take your chances. This is true for new or used. The OP seems bent on buying this rig sight unseen for what reason I'm not sure. In any event, let's hope it all works out well. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave

In the end, you put your money down and take your chances. This is true for new or used. The OP seems bent on buying this rig sight unseen for what reason I'm not sure. In any event, let's hope it all works out well. Good luck.
Agreed. But seems the DP decision was the smartest one so far but to each their own. If I had unlimited funds I might send my personal shopper out to buy me a Motorhome to use for a while and then sell it. I do not have such funds - and known all too well that RV can stand for Ruined Vacation. And for us a ruined retirement. So, I have to know first hand what I'm getting and since I know I don't know everything I get help. And I want that help with me at or just prior to decision. Sale contingent on inspection and acceptance.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #61

If the coach is in Northern CA, I can do an inspection. If in OR, there is a guy named Davis if the coach is close enough to him or can be brought to him. Don't have any contacts in Seattle.
PM me for more info if you desire.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
I'm waiting for someone to tell me what we will find upon inspection that a professional, well-paid thorough inspector is NOT going to find.......
Anyone?
Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily

I'm waiting for someone to tell me what we will find upon inspection that a professional, well-paid thorough inspector is NOT going to find.......
Anyone?
I think it is difficult for many of us to get our head around what you are doing. The idea of purchasing a "one use" Motorhome is very unorthodox to say the least. On top of this, the idea of purchasing the unit on the other side of the country....having it transported back to you...and not concerned about actually seeing, touching or even test driving the unit before purchase....well it just boggles the mind!

To answer your question.....nothing. You are probably quite correct...a good inspector can help identify if the rig is "ready-to-go" and can probably give you a good idea of the overall cosmetic condition. Hey it 's only got last six weeks & 12,000 miles! If it isn't 't everything you dreamed of....who cares....you're just gunna sell it away!

BTW....have you considered flying your family & dogs to the W. Coast. You could fly out....enjoy a six week MH vacation in the warm parts of S.Cal, Arizona, etc. ....drop the MH off with the Dealer & have him sell it on consignment for you and fly home.....save yourself and the rig around 10,000 miles of unnecessary wear & tear?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
Anyone?
OH...you will probably find stuff that isn't critical to the mechanics of the MH. They won't be able to live in it like you will so I guarantee you will find something loose like a cabinet door after some time.

What I think a good inspector can find more quickly than you are things that are out of site, out of mind. They will, of course, check any maintenance records and should be able to verify and service bulletins for the MH have been done. They should also be able to give a thorough inspection of the engine compartment to see if there are any obvious leaks, loose belts and such. They should also take a good look at the exhaust system to see if that is in good order. I would suspect they have a lot of things they will provide visual inspection but I don't know if that would include any kind of deep engine diagnostics like compression checking. I would also think they will be able to inspect plumbing and have a good idea of the most common places for plumbing problems.

So, the key element beyond technical skills would be that understanding of the systems as a whole and where they are most likely to have problems.

Of course, you will want to find out directly from whom ever you hire exactly what they will do.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily

Anyone?
There are many fine travel videos and books on the Internet and the Discovery and Travel channels have excellent programs on most attractions you will see while traveling by MH. Order them and stay home. The pros have documented the experience for you - you will save time, trouble and money and apparently be just as satisfied and as if you had visited them for yourself.. I say that with all due respect. Finally - the inspector isn't liable for anything and there is no recourse. Good Luck.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #66

Vintage RV Owners Club
In my opinion, a purchase of this magnitude deserves a professional inspection regardless of whether it's local or not. I wouldn't buy a used house or automobile without such an inspection, and paying a professional to perform one is money well spent. They'll be looking through glasses untinted by personal expectations.

That having been said:

Between professional assessment and eventual satisfaction with the purchase lies the vast land of "how does it feel" . Only a personal inspection by the person that's going to own/use the rig will provide that "feng shui"- type thing.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
... Order them (travel books) and stay home. ...
My opinion of this extremely UNhelpful suggestion would get my post deleted, so I will simply say ... ignore it!

I checked out your model - great floorplan, lovely coach, price may be a little high - NADA 2008 40x has low retail of $105K, high retail $123K without extras.

If you want to look for others closer, Page 2 of 2 - New And Used Fleetwood Discovery 40x Rvs For Sale - Rvtrader.Com

And yes, a professional inspector DOES have a liability to be accurate on those things he personally inspected. Just talk at length with the inspector BEFORE he goes out, so knows exactly what you want besides the systems inspection. If the quality of the woodwork is important to you, and a few prominent dings in the galley will make a difference, let the inspector know that so he looks it over carefully, and put your inspection criteria IN WRITING with your inspector's contract. Be sure to get a reputable, licensed, inspector, check him out at www.BBB.com in the town of his business address BEFORE you hire him. BBB keeps records on all local businesses whether members or not, so If he has had unhappy customers, they will be on file.

If you do have it delivered, and that seems your best choice given your timetable, make sure you are insured for that delivery so the driver doesn't have some kind of accident and, surprise!, not have current insurance.

With your level of experience, I see nothing that can be accomplished by your personal inspection other than whether you "like" it or not, and since you have seen and driven units locally, seems like no surprise there. Just be willing to compromise a little if the unit is not cosmetically perfect. The more detailed your instructions to your inspector, the more info you will get from him after the inspection.

Kathryn

~~~

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
4tfamily - I did not intend to offend. Should have used smiles and bangheads or lol I guess. What I is was doing was -

"Writers sometimes use similes and metaphors to help create a vivid image in the reader's mind. A simile compares two things using the word like or as.

Simile: My father grumbles like a bear in the mornings.

A metaphor also compares two things, but it does not use the word like or as.
Metaphor: My father is a bear in the mornings.

You asked essentially - what's the difference if I see it or not if an inspector says it's ok. I illustrated my opinion. Seeing is better.

I have followed all of your posts from DP or gas - depreciation - you and DH needing a referee (which was not the case really) - To the one referenced as "here" above when you were looking at a Tiffin Allegro and not a lesser Fleetwood Bounder - which we never heard how that went - and has now morphed into a FW Discovery in this post.

There a many here who try to help and I tried to do my part. Don't understand your process so I can't help I guess. But did not mean to offend - just tried to make the point one last time. I also believe you will find that an inspector paid $350 - $500 will not be liable for engine, tranny and say generator problem at any point beyond the time spent with it. Certainly not after it's been driven across the country - or 1/2 way for that matter. But I could be wrong.

And I did mean it when I said good luck. I would not wish a bad vacation on anyone - ever.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #69

I agree with Kathryn. The one thing that anyone else can not tell you, whether a pro or just a guy you find on IRV2, is whether you "like it" it "feels right" and any other personal feelings that come into a purchase. We have bought several houses, inumerable cars, several boats and a couple of motorhomes. We always have done the research, found the one we think we want, but when it came down to the purchase, it had to feel right, smell right, sound right, for us personally. I also agree that for you, in your situation, not wanting this to be anything more than a vehicle to transport your family on a vacation and then be gone, those issues are not so important. If you were planning to full time it or just to part time for years, it would be more important. An professional inspecter can certainly tell you if they think it has any major issues that would prevent it from making it back and forth across the country and would probably be able to do that better than your own personol inspection.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Disappointed buyer

Good ideas but better yet would be to hire a RV inspection service
and most important, be there when the inspection is happening.

The buyer will learn a ton about how the coach was maintentained
as well as getting a good understanding of how to operate the holding tank plumbing, the 12 volt/120 volt systems and the dozens of details found on modern coaches.

I just bought my first pusher and really wish I took those extra steps.

Was told 'everything will be working when you get it'.

Had it driven out from the East coast. So far have found at least 8 to 10
items which do not work correctly.

The dealer is not returning my phone calls.

Anyone know of a web site where buyers can review these dealers?

QUOTE=jimkate;1392365]My first choice: I would get on a plane and inspect that coach myself and check all maintenance records myself.

My second choice: I would hire a professional from that area to inspect the coach and check all maintenance records.

Either way, I would probably use my first choice, because either way, I have to go and get the coach and bring it home anyway. It's fine to hire someone to inspect the coach, but it's me that has to live with the coach.[/QUOTE]