Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
Good ideas but better yet would be to hire a RV inspection service
and most important, be there when the inspection is happening.

The buyer will learn a ton about how the coach was maintentained
as well as getting a good understanding of how to operate the holding tank plumbing, the 12 volt/120 volt systems and the dozens of details found on modern coaches.

I just bought my first pusher and really wish I took those extra steps.

Was told 'everything will be working when you get it'.

Had it driven out from the East coast. So far have found at least 8 to 10
items which do not work correctly.

The dealer is not returning my phone calls.

Anyone know of a web site where buyers can review these dealers?
Here ya go... RV Service Reviews You might also file a complaint with the BBB.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
May I suggest you see if one of the fine folks on here that might be close go do a drive by or walk through, flip the person a fee to cover gas and time.

NEVER buy sight on Seen - especially if you're laying down thousands of dollars, unless of course you have an endless supply of money.

I agree with everyone else - The Risk is too much to take.

Video's and Pictures do not show the SMELL of the coach, the actual shape of blinds and so on... Keep in mind, if the coach is sitting in say ARIZONA the heat bakes things well done, often over baked!

A friend a couple of years ago did what you're thinking of doing... and when they received their coach, they received the shock of their life. The people let their son use it for a few weeks and he cooked some meth in it. They lost their money and then some.

Get on a plane and you personally go check it out! Again, unless money is no object.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Curious as to how you handled the purchase of the New 2008 Tiffin you bought then and referenced in previous post Hubby and I need a referee. I assume you were able to sell it in a manner that supports your thought process now. After piecing together your other posts - you seem to have a lot of experience with renting - twice in the past - and buying and selling the new '08 Tiffin - and using Motorhomes - so I now say go for it. Would have been a longer post - but keeping it all together as 1 post might have made it easier for some to follow.

You have been down the road before - gotten fresh opinions on buying right, depreciation, gas v diesel, inspectors etc. Can't wait to here all about the grand adventure (that's what we call our quest to go full-time). Keep us posted with pics in the New Rig showoff and of sights seen in the 2 month trip.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #74

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One, I 'd NEVER buy sight unseen. Never. Under zero circumstances.

And two, I would buy a gasser, not diesel, for a two month trip, since you have expressed you're unlikely to tow, but rather rent a car when needed. (Other thread) You don't need the extra power or cost for the short time frame. I know, there's other benefits, yada yada, not for two months.

Buy less in order to waste less, since, after all it's about the trip and experience, not a long term purchase to be happy with.

Fwiw
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
well now after 74 posts we're dying of curiosity .. I hope this is real
Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #76

I flew from Ohio to Oregon to buy my Safari in 2007.

We agreed on a price before I flew out. The seller understood that I would fly home if the coach didn't match his description. I had no interest in negotiating to cover discrepancies from his description. It was actually better in person than described.

I used this checklist to look it over, and drove it.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kwildman...HCheckList.pdf

It had 59K miles on it and ran like a top. I took a chance and drove it home. No problems on the trip and it has performed well ever since.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #77

That idea has popped into my head too
rehtaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehtaf
Which idea? confused.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #79

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehtaf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Which idea? confused.
I think he means this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
well now after 74 posts we're dying of curiosity .. I hope this is real
Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you Francesca. M23dazback.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Between professional assessment and eventual satisfaction with the purchase lies the vast land of "how does it feel" . Only a personal inspection by the person that's going to own/use the rig will provide that "feng shui"- type thing.
Let me just reiterate. A professional inspection was never in question. We will definitely have that done no matter where we purchase.

Do you think that the feel of the coach can differ between one coach and another of the exact same year and model? Like I said we have driven one exactly like this nearby an really liked the layout/feel. The inspector I spoke with seemed to be very thorough with even the smallest nuances, right down to getting a feel for the owner and how meticulous he is by how his yard/garage look. I feel comfortable that he will nit-pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
4tfamily - I did not intend to offend. Should have used smiles and bangheads or lol I guess. What I is was doing was -

I have followed all of your posts from DP or gas - depreciation - you and DH needing a referee (which was not the case really) - To the one referenced as "here" above when you were looking at a Tiffin Allegro and not a lesser Fleetwood Bounder - which we never heard how that went - and has now morphed into a FW Discovery in this post.

There a many here who try to help and I tried to do my part. Don't understand your process so I can't help I guess. But did not mean to offend - just tried to make the point one last time. I also believe you will find that an inspector paid $350 - $500 will not be liable for engine, tranny and say generator problem at any point beyond the time spent with it. Certainly not after it's been driven across the country - or 1/2 way for that matter. But I could be wrong.

And I did mean it when I said good luck. I would not wish a bad vacation on anyone - ever.
No offense taken. I got the analogy after the second read. (first read I was thinking WTH!? )

If you've been following, you know I take heed of what advice I am given. We switched from the Allegro/Bounder (new gassers)issue because we were convinced that a used diesel would be financially smarter, hence the title of this thread. This has been a decision making process, and being the over-analyzer I am, I come here for advice to help with these decisions. I believe the "morphing" is a result of the learning and decision making .
I may not like the delivery of everyone's posts, but I really do appreciate the time you all take to help.

There is a back story to what we're doing, which would (maybe) make what we're doing seem more sensible to some of you, but it's not really necessary for me to explain in order to get advice. I'll just let you all think we're crazy.

Thank you for the well wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan View Post
And two, I would buy a gasser, not diesel....
Fwiw
That decision was made (based on overwhelming advice on here) for resale value.

Also....to those who suspect me of phishing: I only wish I had the extra time to be posting on here for fun. Puhleeeeese!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #82

Sorry,that maybe this whole thing is not real ,just starting to sound really weird
rehtaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehtaf View Post
Sorry,that maybe this whole thing is not real ,just starting to sound really weird

LOL! I HAVE to ask ...

do you travel in your RV with a Newfoundland and a Mastiff???

Quite a load!

Kathryn

~~~~

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #84

Monaco Owners Club
I can't imagine not inspecting and driving it home myself...

Do you want a 16 year old to drive your new to you rv 120 mph back to you, ripping the awning and ac off the roof pulling into the first fueling station he sees, and pouring mostly water into your deezle tank ?!?!

I'd want a bonded and insured and CONTRACTED transporter and inspector on both ends...

Had ALL those protections and still had to get an attorney even though I had pictures of the guy driving the car off the ramps and dropping it 3 feet to the ground !!!!

buy local