Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #1

We're taking the financially "smarter" route...now need more help!

We've been convinced by the fine people on this forum to opt for a used diesel for our cross country trip, rather than a new gasser.

We found one we really like, a 2008. Only problem is it's 2800 miles away. Our plan is to begin a cross country trip in January and this coach is all the way across the country already. So flying out and driving back to begin our trip is out of the question. Would it be crazy to just hire an inspection service to check it out for us and purchase it sight unseen?

Then how do we get it here? We got one price of $3500 for a transportation service. Anyone have any other ideas for getting it here?

Backing up a bit. When we ask about maintenance records, what exactly should the maintenance be? What should we be looking for in those records? Are there any questions specific to a diesel we should be asking of the seller?

Thanks for all your help so far. We're getting there!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #2

I'm guessing that the MH in question is out here on the west coast, and that is a good thing. Less opportunity for rust. I would not buy something like this sight unseen. Get on a plane and inspect the coach.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #3

Depending on whether you are dealing with a dealer and which state you are referring to, some will bring the coach to you. There is a fee, but it may not be $3500 dollars. You will have to check with the seller to see if that option is available;

In my humble opinion, buying sight unseen is a risk. If the price is really good, and you have faith in the seller, then it might be OK, but I would still recommend finding a certified RV inspector to check it out. There are so many systems in an RV that can be costly to repair that you need to have some reliable protection for yourself. Just a though, but you might be able in your negotiation to obtain written guarantees from the seller to replace any problems you find when the coach arrives.

As to maintenance, you want to see that the manufacture required maintenance, like oil and filter change, transmission fluiid and filter change, fuel filter change, air filter change, greasing the front end and the u-joints, generator oil and filter change, etc. have been done on time. You also want to know of any repairs, replacements, etc. that were done to the coach.

Hope this helps you some, and good luck with your purchase.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave
I'm guessing that the MH in question is out here on the west coast, and that is a good thing. Less opportunity for rust. I would not buy something like this sight unseen. Get on a plane and inspect the coach.
X2 - and no matter where it is - no telling where it "lived". You can most likely get that from a CarFax - but that's about all it will have. Regardless - go - see - inspect - drive - etc. If it's the one - you'll figure out how to get it home.
Good luck.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #5

The transport service is asking $1.25 per mile. That's not that bad. BUT, you maybe could find someone who would do it for half that price by contacting RV parks around the area that your NEW RV is parked and have them post on their bulletin board for you. Might take some sugar but...

Then, as far as what you should be looking for in the records? You should see that they have dutifully followed the manufacturers recommendations for certain services at certain times and/or mileages. For instance: My Cummins is suppose to have the valves torqued to a certain value at 80K. And so on.

In other words, you just want to be sure that they actually have those records. You'll review them after the purchase. Because, it's too much hassle to pour over them before purchase. You have a professional look over everything ($300-$500) before you buy to assure yourself that it's mechanically sound and everything is working.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
We've been convinced by the fine people on this forum to opt for a used diesel for our cross country trip, rather than a new gasser.

We found one we really like, a 2008. Only problem is it's 2800 miles away. Our plan is to begin a cross country trip in January and this coach is all the way across the country already. So flying out and driving back to begin our trip is out of the question. Would it be crazy to just hire an inspection service to check it out for us and purchase it sight unseen?

Then how do we get it here? We got one price of $3500 for a transportation service. Anyone have any other ideas for getting it here?

Backing up a bit. When we ask about maintenance records, what exactly should the maintenance be? What should we be looking for in those records? Are there any questions specific to a diesel we should be asking of the seller?

Thanks for all your help so far. We're getting there!
OK here goes!!
1) what exact model and make?
2) exact mileage
3) what diesel engine
4) what the rock bottom price?
5)fuel is 1500.00 + 250 for driver to fly there.1750$ to drive the unit is ok but a bit pricey
6) definately hire a inspection service before buying
7) if its a dealer/saleman your talking to.DO NOT take their word for anything
unless your very familiar with this agency
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My first choice: I would get on a plane and inspect that coach myself and check all maintenance records myself.

My second choice: I would hire a professional from that area to inspect the coach and check all maintenance records.

Either way, I would probably use my first choice, because either way, I have to go and get the coach and bring it home anyway. It's fine to hire someone to inspect the coach, but it's me that has to live with the coach.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
My first choice: I would get on a plane and inspect that coach myself and check all maintenance records myself.

My second choice: I would hire a professional from that area to inspect the coach and check all maintenance records.

Either way, I would probably use my first choice, because either way, I have to go and get the coach and bring it home anyway. It's fine to hire someone to inspect the coach, but it's me that has to live with the coach.
???
But Jim? they dont have a clue what thier to inspect ?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not buy sight-unseen. Nope. Too many risky possibilities IMO.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #10

I think you are making a good choice as far as your decision on the coach. If the one you have found you like, you can probably find the same model, or very similar much closer to you. There are hundreds of DP's on the east coast for sale. Just have to look a bit longer. I don't think there is any reason to go 2800 miles. If you can't live without this particular coach, then I agree, you need to go look at it. Pictures are not the same. How do you know you like it? Floor plan, make, model, equipment? I just can't imagine one similar is not closer.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I would not buy sight-unseen. Nope. Too many risky possibilities IMO.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #12

I'd even go a step further with this. Before flying 2800 miles to look at it you have to try and make sure it is worth the trip.
I flew 1500 miles to buy a 2007 gas coach that I tried as hard as I could to determine the condition before I left. Tons of photographs, had the seller walk around the unit on the phone describing flaws, did the Carfax, etc. The last thing the seller said to me before I left was "if you aren't happy with the condition of this coach then you'll have to buy a brand new one".
When I got there I determined in 5 minutes that I wasn't buying it. It was filthy and the seller had obviously not considered all the little scratches, broken trim pieces, etc worth mentioning on the phone. Fortunately there was another unit in the same location that I was interested in and ended up buying.
Moral of the story is to do your due diligence before you go and try and have more than one unit to look at.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #13

Wow! Thanks for all the great responses so quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
OK here goes!!
1) what exact model and make? 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40x
2) exact mileage 20,000
3) what diesel engine umm pardon my ignorance, but it doesn't say. I assumed they all have the 350 cummins. freightliner chassis.
4) what the rock bottom price? 128
5)fuel is 1500.00 + 250 for driver to fly there.1750$ to drive the unit is ok but a bit pricey
6) definately hire a inspection service before buying
7) if its a dealer/saleman your talking to.DO NOT take their word for anything
unless your very familiar with this agency
It's a private seller, second owner.
This also has 3 years left on an extended warranty. Should that make us feel better?

There are some local, which we were in, drove, and love! But the price and upgrades on this make it worth the extra effort.

What would we find that an inspector wouldn't?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #14

I would inspect in person and drive it whether you hire a professional inspector or not. After searching the past few months I found that in most cases, they look better on the interrnet than they do onsite. Test drive is a necessity IMHO. Also, in my case having the DW along for the final decision was necessary - she has her own ideas on layout and interior decor.

Koop is offline   Reply With Quote