Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #29

When we bought our coach(our first and didnt know anything about this) it was a 2000 Winnebago. But when we went to DMV to get the title, it was a 1999. Not knowing that this was an issue, I actually told the DMV agent that this was incorrect. I told her it was a 2000. She said ok, and changed the stuff in the computer and reprinted me a title for a 2000. Guess I got lucky.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
happens all the time, not a problem. title and registration goes by year of the chassis, real year is year of the coach.
Not by Federal Law, it must be registered according to the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin.
Here is the RVIA .pdf on it.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Someone here may have brought this up, but I might have missed it. Federal law requires that every chassis must have a 17 digit VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER. These numbers all have a meaning, such as emission control, country of origin, and most importantly, the year. Your chassis is probably a GM or Ford. The VIN # never lies, and no matter what bs they tell you, it is a 2011. If the body is a 2012 it doesn't matter, the year on the title will have to say 2011.
Here is a scenario... Your 2011 chassis was made in 2010. That also is very possible.

If there is no indication on any of the paperwork that this was a 2011 chassis, then they owe you restitution. I would think long and hard about what you want. Just because this a common practice, and others have accepted it, doesn't mean you have to.
Wrong information above, see my previous post. Federal Law requires it be registered by the manufacturers Certificate Of Origin, see the link above also.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Someone here may have brought this up, but I might have missed it. Federal law requires that every chassis must have a 17 digit VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER. These numbers all have a meaning, such as emission control, country of origin, and most importantly, the year. Your chassis is probably a GM or Ford. The VIN # never lies, and no matter what bs they tell you, it is a 2011. If the body is a 2012 it doesn't matter, the year on the title will have to say 2011.
Here is a scenario... Your 2011 chassis was made in 2010. That also is very possible.

If there is no indication on any of the paperwork that this was a 2011 chassis, then they owe you restitution. I would think long and hard about what you want. Just because this a common practice, and others have accepted it, doesn't mean you have to.
That is NOT true... There are several manufacturers and the Coach builder is the one that says what it is.. the Certificate of Origin is what the State has to go by. If it says 2012, then its a 2012 regardless if the chassis is a 2000 or whatever..

If the State is using the Chassis VIN, then the owner, with the dealers help and backup maybe, needs to bring in the First and Second Cert of Origins to the DMV and get it straightened out. This is NOT Dealer fraud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not by Federal Law, it must be registered according to the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin.
Here is the RVIA .pdf on it.
Agreed..
Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree, the MCO should be used to determine the model year for titling purposes. The OP really doesn't know if the MCO is 202 or 2011. If the the MCO is 2011, it is dealer fraud.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Go back to the dealer and the DMV and get that title corrected. The year is NOT determined by the chassis VIN - that is contrary to federal law and the state does not have the option to do otherwise. The year is as specified on the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin, and the dealer submits that document to the DMV to get the original title. If necessary, you can get the manufacturer to provide a copy or an official letter stating the year that was assigned.

It does make a difference in the value of the RV. A big difference.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #35

We ran inot this problem several years ago when we traded a 1998 discovery. the chassis was purchased in 1997 and the La title said 1997. We contacted Fleetwood and they provided an affidavit confirming the coach awas a 1998.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahogue
Last Summer we bought what we thought was a 2012 Thor Daybreak at an RVShow in California. It was sold to us as a 2012 but when the registration came, DMV had it registered as a 2011. What? So we went to the DMV with our sales receipt to verify the current year and change it to 2012, only to find it is in fact a 2011. What do we do now?
Go back to the dealer, I had it happen 10 years ago to me and was reimbursed by the dealer. It is fraud what they have done even if they didn't know what they did. They were glad to make it right.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #37

I was surprised to find I have a 2006 Sparten chassis with a 2005 Cummins titled as a 2007 model. Go figure???
Old 04-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #38

Well. Went to the dealership today to pick the MH up after leveler check. Talked with one of the managers there who agrees with us. There was a titling error. The chassis is actually 2010, the DMV reg says its a 2011, but our contract says we bought a 2012...the manager said they will investigate and make things right...including monetary restitution. So far no fights!

Thanks everyone for your input and links to valuable information! It is very much appreciated!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #39

For what it is worth, my 2006 Beaver was actually manufactured in April 2005. It is registered as a 2006. Go figure.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #40
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
For what it is worth, my 2006 Beaver was actually manufactured in April 2005. It is registered as a 2006. Go figure.
My situation was the same, my build was 09 month of 2002, but all paperwork lists my RV as a 2003.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahogue View Post
Well. Went to the dealership today to pick the MH up after leveler check. Talked with one of the managers there who agrees with us. There was a titling error. The chassis is actually 2010, the DMV reg says its a 2011, but our contract says we bought a 2012...the manager said they will investigate and make things right...including monetary restitution. So far no fights!

Thanks everyone for your input and links to valuable information! It is very much appreciated!
So is it actually a 2012? Glad to hear that they will make it right for you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #42
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahogue View Post

Sounds great so far, Thank you for the update.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote