Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #43

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboBob View Post
I was surprised to find I have a 2006 Spartan chassis with a 2005 Cummins titled as a 2007 model. Go figure???
Why would you be surprised if the MH is a 2007 model, it's registered as per the Federal Law.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #44

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
Our rig has a really nice owner's manual that states it's a 2007 Tiffin Open Road, (in several places). However when we got the registration it listed it as a 2006. When we went to refinance it, they wanted to base the worth as a 2006. We ended up not going though with the refi for other reasons, but it's an issue that we will probably live with.

Jack
If you follow the link I posted to the RVIA document you will find contact info on getting it correct. Might be a good idea to follow though ASAP.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
Why would you be surprised if the MH is a 2007 model, it's registered as per the Federal Law.
Mostly surprised the motor was a 2005.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #46

At least with cars, you can be a "model year ahead" in that as of January 1, you can sell vehicles of the next model year -- for example, January 1, 2012 was the first day you could sell a 2013 model.

Steve
Old 04-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #47

I Totally agree the coach "Should" be registered in the year it is sold and have nothing to do with the chassis. I bought a new 2000 Holiday rambler Endeavor with a 1998 chassis and it was sold and titled as a 2000. I have lived in different states and owned 7 MH and would never accept purchasing a MH and having it sold as one model year and titled a year older "NEVER" I find it hard to believe anyone would accept that answer as it being , normal.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #48

Recently purchased 2010 motor home. When we got home and registered it, the registration said 2011. Come to find the unit was built in May of 2010 on a chassis that was built April 2010. Tiffin changes production year in June. Freightliner changes in April
Old 04-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
So are you going to get it fixed and titled as a 2010??
Old 04-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
So are you going to get it fixed and titled as a 2010??
LMAO!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #51

My class B Sprinter is a 2012 built in a 2011 Van. I received the title stating it was a 2011 and went to the Iowa DMV to get it changed. No problem, the DMV changed it to a 2012 based on Winnebago's Certificate of Origin. They apologized for their error and said the title clerk loaded at the van documentation to determine year and should have used the Winnebago C of O!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #52

What a mess. 4 pages and I still don't know what is right. I will say one thing though, to me, the chassis year really does matter. Ford made major changes in 2006. I wanted those changes. If I thought I was buying a 2006 and found out it as a 2005, I would blow a gasket. Of course, I knew what to look for in this case to prevent this issue but others may not know. This guy sounds like he got hosed big time. No matter what, it is a 2010 chassis. Parts, insurance, etc., it will always be a 2010. Run a carfax at sales, it will still be a 2010. When he goes to sell it, it will still be a 2010. Hey OP, why don't you post the VIN for us?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
What a mess. 4 pages and I still don't know what is right....
What ever the MCO says is right...
Old 04-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #54

Yup its not uncommon at all... do I agree with it ? No... but thats neither here nor there. My first Foretravel was a 1981 on a 1979 Dodge chassis. It would be great if, like the auto industry, they could say " we're going to build XXX cars this year" and pick up a chassis just when they needed. HOWEVER... in the motorhome business it doesn't happen that way. They order the chassis by the truck/railroad car load and use them until they're gone, even if its 2 years later. Is the OP getting "hosed" like Pirate so eloquently put it ? Not really.....relax, take a deep breath, enjoy your coach and have the peace of mind that in 10 yrs, it wont matter.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #55

National RV Owners Club
If the chassis and engines didn't change from year to year, that would be fine but the fact is that they sometimes do and sometimes those changes can mean a big differences when ordering parts, getting service what have you. Since most coach items are outsourced to various manufacturers, I would think it would be more important to age the vehicle according to the chassis and engine. I have a 99 F-53 with a Triton. That is altogether different from the 98's which still had a 460 V8 in many of them. If I had a 98 chassis and engine registered as a 99 because of the coach, that could be confusing and I am already confused enough.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #56

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
If the chassis and engines didn't change from year to year, that would be fine but the fact is that they sometimes do and sometimes those changes can mean a big differences when ordering parts, getting service what have you. Since most coach items are outsourced to various manufacturers, I would think it would be more important to age the vehicle according to the chassis and engine. I have a 99 F-53 with a Triton. That is altogether different from the 98's which still had a 460 V8 in many of them. If I had a 98 chassis and engine registered as a 99 because of the coach, that could be confusing and I am already confused enough.
But here again, that's not the law. The MCO is what the registration goes by under Federal Law. I don't understand why that's so hard to grasp on the forum.
That's why you need to order chassis/engine parts by the chassis VIN and not the registered year of the completed vehicle.