Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Wet area heat

Quick question:
I have 2 small ceramic heaters in the wet bays and plenty of propane. Is there any areas in my dynasty that will freeze if I keep the heaters on and the furnace alight.
I can run my generator and heat pumps while mobile but can I run the furnace?
That's 2 questions I know
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Steve you can run the furnace while driving. As to freezeing that will depend on how cold it is but if not below say 10f you probaly wont have any worries.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #3

Steve you also have a waterline at the rear of the fridg exposed to the weather.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin
Steve you also have a waterline at the rear of the fridg exposed to the weather.
Ok so how do I protect/ disconnect the ice maker line
Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #5

Yes on running the furnace while driving. But why do you think you need the ceramic heaters? Most Class A's pipe some furnace heat into the wet bays.

I have a wired thermometer in the wet bay (also used the wireless set from WM but that failed in less then a year) that I monitor the temps with and it stays enough above freezing, down to 20°F ambient, that I don't need heaters down there until it gets that cold.

My black and grey tank valves in the drain bay also gets some furnace heat but I do take the precaution of plugging the big holes with a cover I made.

If your heat pumps are in the ceiling, you might check if your RV came with heat blankets for the tanks. Have any unmarked mystery switches?

Since water has thermal inertia, and takes a long time to freeze, I wouldn't worry about it if your tanks and dump valves are in compartments (and you block the big holes)...at least if it's above 20°F.

As far as the ice maker goes, often there is a valve you can shut off, then disconnect and drain the line from the back of the refer...the ice maker is in a freezer already so nothing needs to be done in there. Other RVs without the valve, owners have added one as close to the wall as possible.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek
Yes on running the furnace while driving. But why do you think you need the ceramic heaters? Most Class A's pipe some furnace heat into the wet bays.

I have a wired thermometer in the wet bay (also used the wireless set from WM but that failed in less then a year) that I monitor the temps with and it stays enough above freezing, down to 20°F ambient, that I don't need heaters down there until it gets that cold.

My black and grey tank valves in the drain bay also gets some furnace heat but I do take the precaution of plugging the big holes with a cover I made.

If your heat pumps are in the ceiling, you might check if your RV came with heat blankets for the tanks. Have any unmarked mystery switches?

Since water has thermal inertia, and takes a long time to freeze, I wouldn't worry about it if your tanks and dump valves are in compartments (and you block the big holes)...at least if it's above 20°F.

As far as the ice maker goes, often there is a valve you can shut off, then disconnect and drain the line from the back of the refer...the ice maker is in a freezer already so nothing needs to be done in there. Other RVs without the valve, owners have added one as close to the wall as possible.
I put the heaters on the lowest thermostat setting , it's a just in case as we are going as far north as Boston and Niagara and then jasper in August
I ll get the remote temp indicator out of curiosity
I'll check the rear of the fridge, presumably from outside the coach to see how insulated the water line is. I should probably throw a blanket in the sewer/ grey water is charge bay as well.
I have discovered the heat pumps work down to near freezing so if I go to bed with heat pumps in and temps plummet I shouldn't have an issue as the ceramic heaters will look after the wet bays with the furnace off. Well that's a theory anyway.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #7

That's a good theory Steve. I've camped up in Alaska in spring and fall and the wet bays stayed above freezing for quite awhile at 20°F. Had wireless temp monitors in both bays. After a few days at 20°, I put heaters in each bay set on low and kept them at 35°. Thermal inertia really helps keep them above freezing.

I have two bays, one for the gray & black tanks & valves, and one for the fresh water & pump.

I don't have an ice maker but many that I've seen in other RVs have the copper water pipe going into the RV wall, into a heated space, with a connector close to the wall. I'd find a cap or plug for that connector and drain the short plastic hose that connects to the ice maker. The heat in there should keep things frost free. If you can find where that pipe connects inside the house, you might just disconnect, drain, and plug it there.

Have fun! It's not that difficult to keep things from freezing. I have friends that have been living in their 5th wheel (without the Alaska pack) for weeks below freezing. And their tanks are exposed! Just takes a few precautions and you're good.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The ice maker shouldn't be a problem. The waters lines will be wrapped with heat tape, and just the working of the fridge will keep it plenty warm in there
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote