RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wet carpet at base of front slide after big downpour

Well, this problem has happened twice now. - the crucial details With the slide in, the piece of carpet that moves with the front slide in front of the sofa is wet. Its pretty well isolated to that area. Material at base of sofa is damp but I think thats just what was absorbed from carpet. First time it happened I found some debris above the seal on the front slide (below the topper) but its back even after removing that. The RV currently is sloping the direction of the drivers slide but even when it was a little more level it was still pretty much identical.

I see no signs of moisture on any other part of the walls or ceiling for that area.
I checked the roof and there are some cracks around the base of one of the airhorns but thats the only thing I see. But it is not directly above the area..

Any suggestions? I will try to upload some pics.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 05:18 PM   #2

Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
Well, this problem has happened twice now. - the crucial details With the slide in, the piece of carpet that moves with the front slide in front of the sofa is wet. Its pretty well isolated to that area. Material at base of sofa is damp but I think thats just what was absorbed from carpet. First time it happened I found some debris above the seal on the front slide (below the topper) but its back even after removing that. The RV currently is sloping the direction of the drivers slide but even when it was a little more level it was still pretty much identical.

I see no signs of moisture on any other part of the walls or ceiling for that area.
I checked the roof and there are some cracks around the base of one of the airhorns but thats the only thing I see. But it is not directly above the area..

Any suggestions? I will try to upload some pics.
Hi, Also check the top of your drivers window. I had the same dampness awhile ago, and found this to be the source.

Crabbyjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Hmm i did notice the seal at the base of the drivers window is not in frame as it should be. Thats a little down hill from the wettest spot but i was gonna have a closer look.
.thanks
Old 02-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have learned the hard way to level my coach a bit tilted to the LEFT, sitting in the driver's seat! Water will not run uphill! Slide seals will not keep water out if water runs down hill and sits up against the seals. It will find a way into the Coach....creating damage and stain. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Thats kind of the perplexing part. Its just in a field now that has a pretty good tilt to the drivers front corner and not on the jacks but it's as wet as when it was almost level.
Last two storms were at night had prob had almost horizontal rain ( kind of from that angle) but i still cant imagine how it would have been that wind driven.

I will prob seal around the air horn and have a look at the ac cover over that area. Im thinking it has to be coming from the middle considering how it is leaning and where it was wettest

I,guess i can turn it around and wait for the next storm out of the southwest..
Old 02-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #6

Find a repair facility that does pressure checking for leaks. They will find more places water can get in than you will believe!!! Had mine done, no more leaks.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Ill check the local places to see if they can check for leaks.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:28 AM   #8

Do you have slide locks at the top of your slide? If so, it may be the sealant has eroded around the waterproof lock box. Water can collect and then make its way down when the slide moves in or out.
Scott98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:25 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Not sure about slide locks, but the water only shows when the slides are in - carpet was soaked 4 hrs after the only rain in 7+ days and the slide hadn't been moved in that time.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Well, the two local service outfits are booked 4 weeks out (for any service) and about all they offer for leaks is either a complete reseal or just running water over it.

So, Im gonna have a local mobile repair stop by (actually he's already gonna be at the storage location working on a gas class A right beside mine - so maybe this is will be relatively painless), and see if he can spot anything. And go from there.

Tags
carpet, slide