Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #15

More money and no maintenence with AGM or Cheaper and some maintenance with wet cells. Other then that everything is equal.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #16

I have Fullriver brand 6v AGM house batteries. They have the same maximum charge voltage as flooded lead acid batteries so nothing has to be changed with the converter charge voltage.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #17

Well I'm about to upgrade our 12v system. Currently have 2 class 27 'deep cycle' batteries. While they are still new and have no use on them, we know we need more power.
We'll be installing new batteries, a new larger inverter, a complete solar and control charging system very soon. While this will not cheap out of pocket it may come close to paying off over time.
Since we have the room, we're either going with four or six 6V AGM type batteries (600ah or 900ah) 3500w inverter and between 420-560watts (+/-) of solar panels. Besides supplying heat during winter use (we don't need A/C in summer!) I think this set up will give us enough power to enjoy how we enjoy camping (mostly boondocking) and just use the generator to 'top off' batteries if Solar doesn't keep up. When used/recharged properly they claim 5000 cycles ... That's a LOT of camping!

Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries

These batteries have a 5 year warrenty and will not freeze in temps above -67F. No hey aren't the cheapest replacement batteries, but there aren't many batteries out there that are better for our application.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #18

I hope when you are talking about supplying heat you mean 12v electrical power to run the fans on your PROPANE furnace.

Jim
Old 06-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #19

Well we're from Alaska and 'camp' year round so at -20F and below with wind, NO built in furnace will supply enough heat. Furnace is good to about 0 degrees F with wind .... Running the 'fan' on the furnace 24/7 at those temps will pull alot of power from stock batteries. Try that with during a 4 day week end and we'd be out of propane and 12v power before we're ready to break camp.
Portable propane heaters (like Mr. Buddy) are not to be used in a closed area unattended! (ie while sleeping, I'd hate to go to sleep and not wake up ...)
Old 06-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If you want AGMs, replace your flooded cell 6v's with AGM 6v's. Both Trojan and Lifeline/Concord make 6v golf cart batteries with AGM technology. Still costs an arm and a leg, though.

Hey Gary: That is my #1 complaint about AGM's (Cost)

I also checked the manufacturer's expectation of battery life as measured in charge/discharge cycles, and AGM's ... Well,, they die young per their makers, making them even more expensive long run.

Real life:

When this rig was new it came with two Interstate U-2200's. which are now the oldest batteries in the house.

A year later I got a pair of G-31 AGM's which were the first to kick the bucket and get replaced.

I also parallelled in a couple of Group 27/29 that I had lying around from before the purchase of the rig, They were 2nd to go (I still have one left but it's basically just taking up space till I replace it)

Kind of supports the manufacturer's web page life estimates.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
I'll still say 6v golf cart batteries are the way to go. They don't use AGM in golf carts for a reason. Golf cart batteries have a more severe service cycle than RV batteries. Constant discharce and recharge every day they're being used. Golf course superintendants answer to their P&L and they stick with them because they're cost effective and they work.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
We got so tired of replacing our wet cell batteries...they required too much maintenance in AZ. So we got AGM, about 4-5 years ago and NEVER one problem. They are still going strong and we haven't even touched them!!!
DogsCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #23

Doo,

We have been using a Buddy heater plumbed to out coach propane tank for 7 years and use it as our primary heat source. We use the coach 12 months of the year and during cold weather it runs 24-7. We are not dead yet. If the instructions are followed they are safe.

Jim
Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsCamping
We got so tired of replacing our wet cell batteries...they required too much maintenance in AZ. So we got AGM, about 4-5 years ago and NEVER one problem. They are still going strong and we haven't even touched them!!!
I could see the benefit of AGM's in Az, as hot as it gets there.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries