Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post

We have the money but I AM TERRIEFIED to spend it. For us it wouldn't be used as a motorhome most of the time, it would be more or a mobile camp site. However I could get it for less than many new cars.
If spending your money is out of your comfort zone it is best to keep it in the bank, or investments or whatever.

If you collected the money for your enjoyment you should do with it what you wish.
__________________

__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 05:11 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
ie2special's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 453
Blog Entries: 12
Yes, my car will pull the size TT we are looking at

No, the TT I like is only good enough for short trips and a few weeks a year. It does not compare at all to the Class A.

I couldn't be in a bigger quandary. I also hate passing up a good deal

I agree about maintence issues, we also have to pay storage, but we'd pay that for the TT too
__________________

__________________
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:12 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 252
I'd say a car is not a viable Tow Vehicle for any medium range TT, Our TT unloaded is about 6700 lbs and we use a 2500 hd with a 6.0l gas engine and honestly I feel at times that is not enough. Like the other person said, If the money you have in the bank is for your living and not as I say Vegas Money, leave it in the bank and rent when you want to go out... One thing you can bet on is any TT, 5th wheel and or MH will loose 50% of it value in 3 years...these things do not appreciate... On the other hand have a set amount of cash set away for recreational purpose and do not depend on it for living (Now or latter in life) go for what you want... but I understand, that money will depreciate the minute you drive any RV off the lot...

A good deal is not a good deal if you can't afford to buy it and the constant maintenance an RV will require... expecially one 10+ years old.
__________________
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
ie2special's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 453
Blog Entries: 12
My car isn't really a car, it's an SUV. We are looking at a 3100 lb trailer.

We plan to tow it without water, only gas. The weight is fine, I just can't decide between hybrids and TT of the same weight.
__________________
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
bamaboy473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Gulf Coast, Alabama
Posts: 1,733
I'm getting the impression that you're making too many decisions based on not spending money. Maybe you need to make a T-account and list what your Needs and Wants are for what you think you want and RV for.

Then, if that list points you to something that's too much money, stop looking. Compromising on features that you thought you Needed will be regretful from the start.
__________________
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 52K miles
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Emerald Coast
Posts: 1,757
The Monarch and the TT are a very different "camping experience". The SUV can tow but it will be a short wheel base compared to a Pickup and will not handle as well, unless it's a Suburban or an Expedition.

It sounds as if you are not ready for a MH. Considering a TT after deciding on an Entegra means a whole new direction…..

Good Luck!
__________________
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
ie2special's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 453
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
The Monarch and the TT are a very different "camping experience". The SUV can tow but it will be a short wheel base compared to a Pickup and will not handle as well, unless it's a Suburban or an Expedition.

It sounds as if you are not ready for a MH. Considering a TT after deciding on an Entegra means a whole new direction…..

Good Luck!
It was more than that We had job opportunities that neither of us could pass up....Otherwise we wouldn't be working on extremes like that

The Entegra is off the table :( until retirement number 2
__________________
Got a starter A-Frame but moved to a Super-C
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
ie2special's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 453
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I'm getting the impression that you're making too many decisions based on not spending money. Maybe you need to make a T-account and list what your Needs and Wants are for what you think you want and RV for.

Then, if that list points you to something that's too much money, stop looking. Compromising on features that you thought you Needed will be regretful from the start.
My need list is short Sleeping for 3....toilet....some sort of shower/tub....outdoor shower....Place to have room to sit and watch TV in bad weather.

My want list is HUGE
__________________
Got a starter A-Frame but moved to a Super-C
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,142
My question is "What do you want?".

Some decisions are not made by being totally practical. If it was you would be purchasing a tent and throwing it in the back of your SUV. But that would not be comfortable (unless that is what you enjoy).

However that puts you into another set of quandries. Is a pup tent enough or should you buy a 3 season family tent?

Life should not always be about making the most frugal decisions, sometime you have to go out and enjoy your "stuff".

Make a decision sooner rather than later. Flip a coin if that will help. If you disagree with the first flip and get to 13 out of 25 you will know you have made a decision. Every day you waffle is a day you have lost from looking for what you want or enjoying what you purchase.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
It was more than that We had job opportunities that neither of us could pass up....Otherwise we wouldn't be working on extremes like that

The Entegra is off the table :( until retirement number 2
It sounds as if your thinking is that you are financially insecure. Are you ready to retire or are you still hanging on to the golden handle. Keep working if it gives you pleasure.

I spoke with a friend who is a very accomplished engineer. He has built projects all over the world. I respect him very much. He kept getting pulled back into the work force for one more project. I met him during one of those projects. I asked him about retirement. His response was "Once you get past the need for professional recognition you can really enjoy retirement".

You will be amazed at how much less retirement costs than you anticipate. That is unless you go crazy. But if you maintain a similar lifestyle to what you currently have we found you will have money left over at the end of the month.

I have not spoken with anyone who is retired that said they wish they had worked longer. For the vast majority they say knowing what they now know they would have retired earlier.

We retired at 55. Not one regret.

If you are financially secure now is the time to get out there and do the things on your bucket list while you still have your health and the best days of the rest of your life.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Western New York
Posts: 515
ie2, working for a cemetery group I know first hand how precious and short our time to enjoy the fruits of our labors can be. If your desire is for the DP and the price is ridiculously low, pull the trigger and buy the damn thing. If you feel it is draining on your financial security you speak of you can sell it in a year or two and possibly get what you paid for it or marginally less. However, once you have such a beautiful rig the retirement juices may re-kindle and you may find yourselves making work excuses to use the rig much more than your stated one week per month, which by the way in my book is somewhere between 60 and 84 nights camped a year, not bad! Good Luck and let us know what you decided.
__________________
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Emerald Coast
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
It was more than that We had job opportunities that neither of us could pass up....Otherwise we wouldn't be working on extremes like that

The Entegra is off the table :( until retirement number 2
If you are having fun working…enjoy!

That said, retirement is better than I could have hoped, beyond my expectations for sure. I passed up over a million dollars of earnings to retire early. My wife and I have our health and have had the adventure of our lives doing the Motorhome thing. I have absolutely no regrets for retiring early.

Best wishes to you both!
__________________
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
AZGypsie's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 163
You haven't given us any idea of what kind of financial outlay you are talking about, so a bit difficult to weigh the gravity of that issue.


Our experience was we wanted to continue camping and, as I am getting a little long in the tooth to be crawling in and out of a tent, we started looking at TTs. There were 2 major issues with TTs from our perspective. For me, claustrophia!! We looked at a lot of trailers, but those we could even consider hauling were way small and I felt like the walls were closing in on me. Which brings us to the second issue, if we wanted something bigger, then we also needed a new truck! The cost was prohibitive! So when having this conversation with a friend, he suggested we look at Class As. My husband, who was already retired, started poking around and called me one day and said "I want to go look at this RV. Meet me there!". I did and we bought it on the spot.


I was still working (I have since retired) but for the most part we haven't taken the rig out a lot, certainly not full time. My health is such, right now, that we won't be upping our time on the road until maybe sometime next year. But I will tell you this, whether a weekend or a vacation, I couldn't be happier. We have made it into our own little rolling home and when we do get out, I am thrilled. The biggest cost so far has been tires and gas and my husbands never ending tinkering, but its the love of our life. I would change a thing.
__________________
Harold & Laura Buck
2000 Fleetwood Flair
AZGypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGypsie View Post
You haven't given us any idea of what kind of financial outlay you are talking about, so a bit difficult to weigh the gravity of that issue.


Our experience was we wanted to continue camping and, as I am getting a little long in the tooth to be crawling in and out of a tent, we started looking at TTs. There were 2 major issues with TTs from our perspective. For me, claustrophia!! We looked at a lot of trailers, but those we could even consider hauling were way small and I felt like the walls were closing in on me. Which brings us to the second issue, if we wanted something bigger, then we also needed a new truck! The cost was prohibitive! So when having this conversation with a friend, he suggested we look at Class As. My husband, who was already retired, started poking around and called me one day and said "I want to go look at this RV. Meet me there!". I did and we bought it on the spot.


I was still working (I have since retired) but for the most part we haven't taken the rig out a lot, certainly not full time. My health is such, right now, that we won't be upping our time on the road until maybe sometime next year. But I will tell you this, whether a weekend or a vacation, I couldn't be happier. We have made it into our own little rolling home and when we do get out, I am thrilled. The biggest cost so far has been tires and gas and my husbands never ending tinkering, but its the love of our life. I would change a thing.
Well said Laura.
__________________

__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tough Decision mrmrsbb Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 34 03-30-2016 09:01 AM
Your Thoughts/Experiences regarding these model years? dawnmckenna Country Coach Owners Forum 23 09-22-2014 11:16 AM
Made The Move - '15 Excel On Order BRS50 Excel Owner's Forum 77 08-22-2014 02:21 PM
Tom Raper RVs Celebrates 50 Years DriVer RV Industry Press 1 06-27-2014 08:33 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.