Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #1

Angry WH steering in a cross wind

I am new to the forum so I am probably bringing up an old subject but I would like to get an answer. I have a 2001 29' Winn. Brave that is mushy on the hwy. and gets blown around by trucks and cross winds. Does anyone have a reasonable solution, I am planning a longer trip in the spring and would like to do it in comfort.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Whisper and

Your question is a very common one which has many, many answers. If you do a search on steering stableizer, sway bars, handling improvements, etc... you'll find a week's worth of reading material.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #3

whisper, +1 on the welcome to iRV2.

I had the same symptoms. Being a flatlander, I had problems being blown around after passing large stands of trees and then passing large clearings that funneled the wind onto the road...not to mention those pesky trucks. I added a set of new Koni FSD shocks and a BlueOx Tiger-Trac rear stabilizer. That did so well I've forgone the planned front stabilizer.

As RickO says, there's a lot of info on this...especially in the Workhorse Custom Chassis section. Good luck with the search, Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing everyone seems to stress and makes a lot of sense is to make sure everything you already have is working correctly before adding or changing equipment. Check your tire pressure, wheel alignment, and get weighed to see if improvements can be made there first before buying stuff you may not need.
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
I am new to the forum so I am probably bringing up an old subject but I would like to get an answer. I have a 2001 29' Winn. Brave that is mushy on the hwy. and gets blown around by trucks and cross winds. Does anyone have a reasonable solution, I am planning a longer trip in the spring and would like to do it in comfort.
A good place to start would be to inform everyone of the make of chassis its on.
As stated it may be possible to affect improvements without a great deal of expenditure. Many of us have been down that road.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Perhaps I should have said it but the chassis is a chevy workhorse.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is it a P series or a W series.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
paz

whisper, welcome to iRV2.

Before spending a lot of money on aftermarket add-ons, the first thing I would do is have the coach weighed as loaded for travel - all 4 corners if possible, but at least front and rear axles separately. Then adjust tire pressures according to the published load/pressure tables from your tire manufacturer. These tables are available online. This alone may solve your problem.

Second, take the coach to a reputable truck alignment shop and have the wheels aligned according to the manufacturer's specs.

If, after doing the above, you are still having problems, I would consider replacing the shocks with either Bilsteins or Konis, especially if there is a lot of porpoising (up and down motion) as you drive.

If there are still problems, probably the best solution, IMO, is a rear track bar like the one from either Brazels RV (an iRV2 sponsor) or Hendersons Lineup. The long rear overhang of front-engine gas chassis causes a problem with "the tail wagging the dog," so I would start with a track bar at the rear. I have a Super Steer from Hendersons on our W24, and it makes a big difference.

After that, both Brazels and Henderson (and others) have front stabilizers and anti-sway bars that may help.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Perhaps I should have said it but the chassis is a chevy workhorse.
Saw that part, take it one step more. Which workhorse P32, W16/18, W20/21/22,?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Year of coach would help also you can add to your profile where you sign-in and in your signature.
Welcome to irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Saw that part, take it one step more. Which workhorse P32, W16/18, W20/21/22,?
The unit is a 2001 Winnebago Brave 29 ft. on a P30 chassis. Thanks for showing the interest. It's nice to see that there people that want to help. The unit is in alignment, tires are checked and filled to the manufacturers recommendations.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Which MFG the coach or the tire MFG.
If it is the coach what you need to do is get coach weight with your fully loaded coach and use the tire MFG's tire pressure tables for your tires.
If all that checks out than maybe you need new shocks, rear end torque bar or Steer-Safe on front end.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
The unit is a 2001 Winnebago Brave 29 ft. on a P30 chassis. Thanks for showing the interest. It's nice to see that there people that want to help. The unit is in alignment, tires are checked and filled to the manufacturers recommendations.
First thing I would do is download the Workhorse Chassis Guide at www.workhorse.com and follow the information to properly inflate the air bags in the front springs. If you are not the owner of record you can register and the download is free. You will need the chassis Vin to do so.

Second thing is to get the Four corner weights of the coach loaded as it would be for travel. Then go to the inflation charts for the brand and size tire you have and adjust the pressures.

Under inflation of the airbags is a common issue on the P series chasis and must be maintained.

Please feel free to PM me.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #14

I would put wider tires on the front, if you need a wider rim,to fit the new wider tires ,call Rickson wheel in Maryland , talk to Heather , they will make custom rims to fit your rig, we had a 1995 34' diesel that would swing, like a fish out of the water, until I went from the stock 6" 19. 5 RIM TO A 7.5' rim for the new tires, that solve the whole problem.......... I have worked on heavy trucks for the past 20 years........Tom