Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
What 295/80R22.5 tire is recommended?

I am a new owner (1st coach), have a 2008 36' class A diesel pusher with 17,600 miles on the original Goodyear 670RV tires that look perfect, Date code says they are almost 10 yrs old. I AM going to replace them, but am not educated on what might work best...with ride, wear, traction, etc. Can you all give me some help as we begin to shop for 6 tires? I am a member of FMCA and have applied for a Michelin discount. I Googled it, but not a ton of help out there.

Advice please?

Gary Ostberg
2008 Inspire 360 36'
Lincoln MKX Toad
gostberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Have run GY, M, and BS & H. Prefer Toyo M144 in that size. Around $385 per.
Even with FMCA discounter M's will be more more. jus sayn

Ret. Military/Corporate Pilot
Key West Snowbirds
The Short Bus - 450 HP
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
With FMCA, you have a few choices:

- Less expensive, is going with BG Goodrich ST230 (Made by Michelin, so qualify of the group buy discount.) A respected tire, and of good quality.) May have to go to 12R 22.5, but double check hour rim size and with the tire dealer on this. Not a big change. I'm OEM 12R 22.5, and now running 295/80 22.5, and not enough of a difference to have my speedometer reprogrammed for the change.

-I'm now running Michelin XZA2 Energy on 6 tires, and the tags are the mentioned 12R 22.5 ST230's. (Damaged two tires about a year ago, and the ST230's were what were available during a Michelin tire shortage at that time.)

-And the Michelin XZE tires in 12R 22.5 are a very robust tire. If they are the XZE*'s, they have extra meat in the sidewall to absorb curb scrubbing activity. Expensive, and that extra strong sidewalk does add to the stiffness of the ride over expansion joints, and or bad roadways. Thus my reason for moving to the XZA2's for this set. But, the XZE's are a proven performer, and mine at 6 1/2 years of age were in great shape.

While not FMCA related. The Hankook AH12 and AH11 (depending on tire size) also came highly recommended to me from larger DP's owners that I respect. And, at less cost too.

So those are some thoughts to research. Work with a tire installer you trust. If you don't have one, check out TCI Truck Tire Center (Michelin related.), as they are all over and handle fleet trucks. I've been to three or four stores now in different states, and aways felt I was surrounded by professionals.

Suggest that you do the RV'ers dance with whomever you are having instal the tires.

> Six months and younger are required, or just don't offer me a set of tires...

> I recommend getting all tires balanced, including the drives. We have balancing rings on all of our axles too. But if you don't, spring for beads in addition to paying for the balance.

> Do go back and get the lug nuts re-torqued after 100-200 miles - it is required, and a good safety thing to do...

> Get four corner weight, and set the PSI to your actual traveling weight loads.

Best of luck to you, be safe, and tires are as big a part of safety as anything that I can think of...
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:17 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Have run GY, M, and BS & H. Prefer Toyo M144 in that size. Around $385 per.
Even with FMCA discounter M's will be more more. jus sayn
+1. Bought 10 M144As in September to replace G670s. Couldn't be happier. The coach rides and handles noticably better. $3806 out the door at Les Schwab in Tilamook OR. It took a little haggling but they did cut their original quote to meet competition. Also take a look at the Yokohama 104ZR.

Home: 2003 Monaco Executive 43 SDDS, ISM
bobcovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
What 295/80R22.5 tire is recommended

Replaced my michelins last year with toyo M154 RV tires. No regrets.
Gord & Marion and our 2 furry, 4 legged girls Brandi & Tessa. '07 Winnebago Adventurer 38T
Retired Canadian Armed Forces & Peace Officer
gordsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:58 AM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
The absolute must be load range H whatever you choose. Couple couldn't figure out why they were having so many blowouts. Turns out tire guy put on G tires. Meanwhile they spent a lot of money having everything about the coach checked out.
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #7
What 295/80R22.5 tire is recommended?

Have Michelin XZA2 in now, but am considering other manufacturers when time to replace (8yrs old now). Problem is my tires now are J rated tires. Overkill ? Do any other tires rate as high??

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I cannot recommend you replace the OE tires with the same ones again. My new coach came with that exact tire on the steer axle. Two (2) visits to a GY "Wingfoot" Commercial tire center could not eliminate "hop" shaking the coach and the vibration I felt in steering wheel, but they refused to admit there was anything wrong with the tires. My dealer also paid Pro Tire in Dallas to balance them, with the same results. The dealer then had two new ones put on (Spartan Warranty paid, I think) and they were the same build week (late 2015) as the original tires. One of these two would also not balance properly, and I could see it wobbling while spinning on the balancing machine. They deflated it and rotated the rim 180*. That enabled them to get it "balanced", but the tire man said he has seen a LOT of problems like this with GY 670RV tires and it has been especially with the 295/80R 22.5 size. I don't feel the vibration in the wheel anymore, but the "hop" is still quite noticeable, but only at ~ 40 MPH, where I don't spend much time. If it does not improve, I will be asking Spartan to replace them (again) with some other brand when I get to MI in August. Other Aspire owners have told me they had the same problem and putting on Michelins eliminated the issue.

There is plenty about the FMCA/ Michelin tire program available at: www.fmca.com
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just put Toyos on the front axle to replace the G670's. Excellent tire and much less expensive. 12R22.5's were an alternative, but the Toyo M144's in 295/80R22.5 LRH were priced well enough I went with them. Mine were $505 each - that's "out the door" (mounted, balanced, & all taxes paid).

I'm running Continental 11R22.5's on the rear axle, where I don't need the greater weight carrying capacity of the 295/80's. They ran about $400 each out the door.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Another thing to remember is that the tires will age out long before you run the tread off them. I'd look for the best deal with the appropriate load carrying rating.

2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote