Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
What a difference a $15 part makes....

Coming home from a weekend of camping in Indiana, last week, the genset sputtered out and we lost coach AC in 90+ degree heat and high humidity. (The dash AC doesn't work)

I checked all the typical things... Had a full tank of fresh fuel so I knew it wasnt fuel level. I could get it to start, running very roughly, but once I put a load on it, she sputtered out and stalled again.

So we made the executive decision to continue on home (about an hour's drive time) and I would see what I could do once I got it home and had more tools with work with. Driving on the highway at 60-65 was bearable, but when we got into the last 5 miles from home, it was all stop & go traffic and no air movement except from the dash fans...

We get home, unloaded, cleaned up, and had lunch. Then, I decided I'd futz around with the genset. Still, I could get it to start, and it ran rough with no load on it. As soon as I turned the AC on..... putt putt putt putt.... <cough>

I had run the fuel system cleaner/seafoam in the tank prior to our trip, and could feel the genset and the chassis engine running smoother, as we drove, so I thought that things were looking up. Then this......

I shot carb cleaner, around the outside of the carb, tried to shoot some inside the air inlet to clean the throat while it was running...... it smoothed out, a little bit more..... Turned on the AC.... <sputter> NOPE!

I took the MH back to storage without the genset operational, and took the week to think over the possible causes. When I took the airbox off the genny, the filter was dusty, but not what I would have considered to be unusable. But I thought, meh..... I'll replace the air & fuel filters and see where that gets me.... they were on the list of things that needed done anyway.

Yesterday, I got the MH from storage to pull numbers from the genset, to get the filters. The parts department had the fuel filter in stock, but not the air filter. I ordered the air filter and brought the fuel filter home and installed it and MAN, she runs like a brand new Genny!

First crank, she fired right up, ran strong, and when I kicked on the rooftop AC, she blipped for a half-second, but never missed a beat and kept right on running strong.

I know we all have different philosophies about how to fix things on our coaches, but starting with the simple stuff really does pay off.

A $15 dollar part solved my problem. I was so chuffed that I bought a couple pounds of refrigerant for the Dash AC, and lo & behold... I'm getting some cool air out of those vents too!
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Thanks for the post. Like to hear good endings. What type gen. do you have? My Onan throughs out codes to make diagnostics easier.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
good job. I had a onan 7000 marquise genny on my 91 pace arrow, and Mine would foul plugs, and then it would do the same thing your was doing, so check your plugs also
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Thanks for the post. Like to hear good endings. What type gen. do you have? My Onan throughs out codes to make diagnostics easier.
Onan Model: 4.0 BGE-FA/26100P

I think mine is old enough that the fault coding isn't available on it. But I could be wrong. This is my first experience with onboard generators, so I don't profess to know everything about them.
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Your manual ( if you have one ) will show the codes if there are any.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Had a similar problem with a no-start or poor running on my older Kohler genny recently that I detailed in another post... After going through the inexpensive basics, it still wouldn't keep running and was having trouble priming the fuel line after I replaced the filter. Tested the fuel pump and cutoff solenoid, which were fine, so I started disassembly of the electric choke so I could get to the fuel line and carb better -- and discovered the paper gasket for the choke housing was deformed with age and jamming the choke full on. One little part worth a few cents was all it took to be a showstopper!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
FIRST rule of trouble shooting... What did I do just before the problem and how could it cause the problem? Putting a cleaner/algeacide in the fuel and immediately most would suspect the filter! You've changed the engine filter also???
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #8

Something to keep in mind about gas-powered gensets........my Onan (and yard equipment as well) does NOT like gasoline with Ethanol added. Keep a bottle of Sta-bil or similar product and treat all gasoline with it.........In my case there is no choice can't find regular gas without Ethanol..... JB
-
pivotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice fix. Makes you feel good when something goes right.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #10

As stated Ethanol cloggs up ALL small engines.I would recommend changing the fuel filter once a year and cleaning the carbs.
I use Marine Stabil and it has worked pretty good. And even Seafoam but the Ethanol is still a problem.
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
Nice fix. Makes you feel good when something goes right.
x2! I love a happy (inexpensive) ending.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKDRAFT161 View Post
As stated Ethanol cloggs up ALL small engines.I would recommend changing the fuel filter once a year and cleaning the carbs.
I use Marine Stabil and it has worked pretty good. And even Seafoam but the Ethanol is still a problem.
I found my problem usually is the carb bowl, draining it or better drop it and wipe clean, filters clogged, but water passes to the bowl, seafoam will clear, stabil will help but if the crud has built up in the bowl only physically removing will do it.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you haven't already done it buy a spare fuel filter for the generator and coach engine. There is probably still some crud in the tank that the Seafoam broke loose waiting to plug the filter again.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKDRAFT161 View Post
Actually that is not accurate. Small engines and cars have been ethanol safe for a very long time. Ethanol is actually a cleaner and that is where some if the issues come up with it. It is caustic. None of my lawn equipment, jetskis, giant scale air plane engines, generators, motorhome, etc have had any issues related to fuel at all. My lawn equipment is just fill up at the end of the season and store them under my back porch storage area. My generators and motorhomes I do use stabil during the winters. My jetskis only get stabil during winter storage. This is a pic of my carb gaskets on my 2002 jetski. These carbs only see gas as it is oil injection. This motor has around 1600 gal of gas through it since 2002. The only reason I changed the gaskets is because of age. The engine perform flawless. Most ethanol stories are just myth. However, pre1980 stuff does not like ethanol because manufactures were not designing the fuel systems with E10 in mind. A very reputable small engine shop/power sports tech will also tell you that E10 fuel system failures are a myth. I have check
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020048.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	41618   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020047.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	41619  

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote