Coming home from a weekend of camping in Indiana, last week, the genset sputtered out and we lost coach AC in 90+ degree heat and high humidity.
(The dash AC doesn't work)
I checked all the typical things... Had a full tank of fresh fuel so I knew it wasnt fuel level. I could get it to start, running very roughly, but once I put a load on it, she sputtered out and stalled again.
So we made the executive decision to continue on home (about an hour's drive time) and I would see what I could do once I got it home and had more tools with work with. Driving on the highway at 60-65 was bearable, but when we got into the last 5 miles from home, it was all stop & go traffic and no air movement except from the dash fans...
We get home, unloaded, cleaned up, and had lunch. Then, I decided I'd futz around with the genset. Still, I could get it to start, and it ran rough with no load on it. As soon as I turned the AC on..... putt putt putt putt.... <cough>
I had run the fuel system cleaner/seafoam in the tank prior to our trip, and could feel the genset and the chassis engine running smoother, as we drove, so I thought that things were looking up. Then this......
I shot carb cleaner, around the outside of the carb, tried to shoot some inside the air inlet to clean the throat while it was running...... it smoothed out, a little bit more..... Turned on the AC.... <sputter> NOPE!
I took the MH back to storage without the genset operational, and took the week to think over the possible causes. When I took the airbox off the genny, the filter was dusty, but not what I would have considered to be unusable. But I thought, meh..... I'll replace the air & fuel filters and see where that gets me.... they were on the list of things that needed done anyway.
Yesterday, I got the MH from storage to pull numbers from the genset, to get the filters. The parts department had the fuel filter in stock, but not the air filter. I ordered the air filter and brought the fuel filter home and installed it and MAN, she runs like a brand new Genny!
First crank, she fired right up, ran strong, and when I kicked on the rooftop AC, she blipped for a half-second, but never missed a beat and kept right on running strong.
I know we all have different philosophies about how to fix things on our coaches, but starting with the simple stuff really does pay off.
A $15 dollar part solved my problem.
I was so chuffed that I bought a couple pounds of refrigerant for the Dash AC, and lo & behold... I'm getting some cool air out of those vents too!