Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

What am I doing wrong?

Enjoying a great weekend camping, when out of blue our Winnie's house batteries aren't being charged by the 30amps at the pedestal. Discovered the issue two days into our weekend when fridge spit out code saying lo dc power. Battery bank charges when I fire up the engine.

I checked fuses and all look good. I'm puzzled, which when it comes to our new Winnie, is easy to do right now.

2013 Vista 35B is the make.
griff4217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #2

Check breaker on inverter, could be 30amp white pop out type.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #3

Sounds like your converter is not working. Need to check A/C breakers.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am confused also. I would think that your fridg would automatically run on electric. Not DC & propane. Are you sure their is power at the plug in? Most have a breaker (that should be turned off when you plug in).. Check power at the post, then breakers inside first thing.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #5

Yeah, turned off breaker at pedestal b/f hooking up on Thursday. I'm getting power from Pedestal as we've needed the A/C and microwave this weekend. All my fuses look good in coach.
griff4217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thats about all I can think off. Someone will come to your rescue. Do You have an Inverter? See if it is ON. Turn it off, switch by the door or on the inverter unit. Maybe the inverter is tiring to power the fridg through the batteries.. Is their a switch on the fridg to select Gas or Electric...
Old 03-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
A VOM is your friend check from where you do have power to where you do not the problem is between the two. A VOM will diagnose 90+% of electrical problems.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:59 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the Fridge setup for Auto operation? If Fridge stated loss of 12vdc power then it was running on 12VDC or Propane and NOT 110VAC. Look at controls on fridge and set to AC or Auto so it will run on whatever power source is available. Next you need to check House batteries also, verify that the breaker is not tripped. Best way is to trip it then reset it. Batteries should charge from 30amp and NOT just hitting the gennie.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Check the voltage at the batteries when on shore power and then on generator. It should be somewhere between 13.6 and 14.4 dcv. That would indicate the batteries are being charged via the inverter/converter.

If not charging, then check for large rated fuse(s) on wiring between the inverter/converter that may have failed. Also check inverter/converter for breaker on unit that may have popped.

If all the above is good, the charger likely is the problem.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I may be wrong, but the fridge CONTROLS run on 12 volt ALL the time .. On gas or 110 ( very few fridges now have a 12volt heat cycle .. 3way) with no 12 volt it won't run on gas or 110 !
My bet your converter is not working ,breaker off or just plain broken.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #11

I think even with AC power available the refrigerators control circuitry needs 12VDC to operate. The AC is for the heating element.

This is from Norcold's owners manual:
Electronic controls operate on 12 Vdc. When an AC/DC converter is used to supply DC power, the refrigerator circuit must be connected to the appliance output terminals of the converter (filtered side).
If the refrigerator circuit is connected to the unfiltered side, the AC ripple generated by the converter may cause a dc LO fault code to display.
To troubleshoot a dc LO fault, connect a charged 12 volt automotive battery to the power board. If the dc LO code clears, the fault was caused by unfiltered DC power.
If the dc LO code does not clear, replace the power board.

Check the batteries, water, electrolyte, voltage.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you checked to see if the AUX switch (battery disconnect switch) by the door has accidentally been turned to off?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As stated battery cut off switch needs to be on when ever your using the coach and appliances, for batteries to be charged by converter.
Converter also needs the 110 in its outlet check the load center circuit breaker.

RV ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Hi All..
I ALWAYS carry a 3 stage battery charger with me.. Never needed it. Probably cause I carry a charger.. But have lent it to camp mates who have had Inverter issues and they were sure happy I had it.. Cheap insurance.. Who wants to fix electrical issues when you are supposed to be having fun?
Ron Husak
Currently at Lake Havasu AZ
rhusak is online now   Reply With Quote