Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
What am I doing wrong?

In my first DP, past experience has been in TT. I turn off the house batteries and the chassis/starter batteries, but within just a couple of days the batteries are dead and I have to start the engine to charge the batteries to crank generator. What am I doing wrong? With all batteries disconnected is it normal for them to go dead so quickly?
MaxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxB View Post
In my first DP, past experience has been in TT. I turn off the house batteries and the chassis/starter batteries, but within just a couple of days the batteries are dead and I have to start the engine to charge the batteries to crank generator. What am I doing wrong? With all batteries disconnected is it normal for them to go dead so quickly?
In some rigs you have to turn off the inverter also.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #3

Most times the disconnects do not turn off the inverter cables.

As mentioned, be sure to turn that off at the control panel.

As a test, plug something in to a inverter powered outlet and then switch off the disconnects. If the plugged in item still works, the inverter is on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:12 PM   #4

Its also possible it could be a bad battery. It only takes one to drain the whole bank. Discharged during the winter at a dealer it could have frozen and damaged a cell, assuming it has wet cells. Have you noticed if it charges continually when plug in, never or seldom showing full charge?
rte154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rte154 View Post
Its also possible it could be a bad battery. It only takes one to drain the whole bank. Discharged during the winter at a dealer it could have frozen and damaged a cell, assuming it has wet cells. Have you noticed if it charges continually when plug in, never or seldom showing full charge?
Have had the coach home just one week. Haven't taken a maiden voyage yet, so I can't respond to how it responds to being plugged in.
MaxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
There are still parasitic loads, even when using the battery disconnects. The only way to be SURE you're not getting drained is to disconnect the neutrals if you aren't going to keep it plugged in.

Lori-

P.S. It will also help if you create a signature (User CP > Edit Signature) with your year/make/model of RV in it. Our members can better assist you if we know what you've got.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote