Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
1. Floor plan that you like.

2. Diesel pusher with side radiator and exhaust pipe

3. Good service records

4. Long enough for your needs ( they're hard to stretch! )

5. Check tire manufacture dates!

6. Look closely at the ceiling to check for leak stains

7. Inspect the roof for cracks, damage, etc.

8. Check EVERYTHING for proper operation! Don't take the word of the owner!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #16

I would recommend the following:

1. Never buy from a dealer. Buy from the owner who does the maintenance.
2. Consider the Newmar brand with a diesel engine at least 10 yrs old (no emission equipment to cause trouble).
3. Get at least 3 slides and consider a 40' length coach.

Good luck!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
All sorts of room for responses but here are some thoughts:

1. Figure out your floor plan - most important item IMO. We wanted a bunk model for our current needs. We recognize that grandkids will continue to want to travel with us for a couple of more summers. For now we have a bunkhouse with 1.5 bath, 3 slides, washer/dryer and lots of basement storage.

2. Know how much you have to spend initially and then for annual upkeep.

3. Look at virtually ALL floor plans that fit you needs and finances.

4. Shop for you motorhome!!!

5. And most important - enjoy. We do more than enjoy - we love it. Our coach enables us to stay in touch and in the lives of a number of our grandkids.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #18

If I was going to buy a new motor home I would start attending every RV show I could find. I would look at every offering and take notes about what I did and didn't like about each one. I would pick up every brochure I could get my hands on for later reference.
I would soul search the options and decide which ones were must haves and which ones I could live without. Things like, do I need a macerator, auto transfer switches, multiple TVs, an outside kitchen, 2 bathrooms, one or more slides? The list could be endless. Don't go into a dealership and not be somewhat informed about what you want and need. Those sales people are trained to Up you and sell every little option known to man to increase their sales commission.
Then sit down and see what fits YOUR budget and you can live comfortably with. You don't have to buy bigger and better just because someone you know has a top of the line really expensive coach. Do you think he is going to tell you he has lived on peanut butter sandwiches with day old bread for the last few years because the payments on his MH are a little stiff? He probably can't afford soap for his fancy washing machine and dishwasher.
Regardless of what you buy it will cost you several thousand dollars the day you drive it off the dealer's lot in depreciation alone. If you think you may have buyer's remorse after you purchase the MH then don't buy it in the first place.
I prefer to buy used and am never in a hurry to lay out the cash. If it isn't a good deal then there is no deal. I'm not cheap by any stretch but after working nearly all my life I don't intend to feed the wolves either.
I told a friend once buying something is like getting married. Sometimes the chase is more fun than the catch.
Good Luck!
Lynn
Old 10-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #19

Others have touched on it when speaking about floorplan, but just to add some additional color to that point, you really have to focus on what you like to do, and what's important for your use.

Are you the kind of person that spends a lot of time watching TV? If so, do you mind/like sitting on a couch that's at 90 degrees to the TV position?

Do you like to sit in a recliner to watch TV or read a book?

Do you like to be outside but still watch the big game?

Do you go to very hot or very cold climates? If you are going to summer on the Colorado River, for example, a coach with 3 a/c units is going to make it nicer and significantly cooler when it is over 100 degrees. For cold climates having hydronic heating and heated basements/wet bay will be important.

Do you like standalone tables to sit and eat at or is a banquette okay?

Do you like to go to places where you dry camp without water or power? If so, black and gray tank sizes may be more important, compared to not being an issue if you generally stay at full hookup campgrounds.

Ride quality and road noise. If you like to move around a lot you may want a DP and the comfort of air ride. Even within DPs, are you kind of person that says "we'll get there when we get there" or the kind of person that hates climbing big hills at 35mph? (in which case, engine size may matter).

Others can likely add even more questions... but to me, being honest with yourself (this is not a "right or wrong' set of questions!) is the most important thing in making the choices so you get what makes you happy.

Steve
Old 10-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #20

FWIW you might be getting the drift that a lot of people see things important to them. If you look at the old postings you will find rational disagreement with every one of their points. People generally defend their choices. For you it comes down to what you like, can live with, and can afford. If there is much you or your SO do not like the magic will go away and the do not's will become the focus.

I would pick a power train you can live with. There are not really many choices.

I would look at every unit I could find in a size range plus a bit bigger and smaller than you think you want. Sit everywhere that one can sit, stand every where one can stand, lay down everywhere one can lay down, etc. You will develop a sense of what you like and do not like. To use your example I know folks who love a separate bath and shower and folks who hate them. Ditto bath and a half, washer/dryer, dishwasher, workspace, cooking facilities, closet space especially height below the bar, TV placement, windows, tank sizes, guest space, and on and on. You really need to think how you want to live and what it will take to make that happen on terms you are content with. I used content because you will not like some of the compromises but you will have decided to live with them. Good luck.

FWIW2 If it was my first go around I would buy used from a dealer and make sure I had a very good walk through as well as the ability to go back with questions. Then I would take it home, load it up and go camping within an hour from home. Preferably near the dealer or a Walmart for what you did not know you needed. ;-))
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #21

We looked, went to all the RV shows, rented Class A MHs, did the research...spent over 3 years finding the right one.

Most important for us:

1. Wife likes layout/interior
2. Chassis, power train - had to be able to haul 15k# (I will be hauling a stacker trailer with two cars and race equipment)
3. Ride quality/wind noise
4. In the budget!

The only coach that met the first 3 was the Newmar line on the Spartan K2 chassis.

The only one that met those plus #4 was a 2007/2008 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528

Finally found it...and buying it.
rjohnson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:01 AM   #22

Most important to me were:

Floor plan
Able to easily tow my toad
Enough CCC
Plenty of storage
Quality manufacturer
Diesel engine

I have a rear radiator and it is just fine. I know there are some that say to stay away from them, but I have not had a problem assessing the engine because I have a large trap door right over the engine that gives easy access to everything.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:34 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
For us, #1 was floor plan. #2 was a gently used coach we could pay for in cash (it drives so much better without the weight of a mortgage ). #3 was the overall quality.

Take all the time needed to find what works for you!
Old 10-31-2015, 09:54 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman 2 View Post
Going to buy a class A M/H, Newmar maybe, last M/H was a 25 ft class C, many years ago, retiring now. Heard many disappointing investments, Trying to avoid as many as possible. Plan on traveling as well as camping. One friend told me to not have the toilet and shower together, and make sure you can service, or access the engine, that is the kind of stuff I am looking for. Appreciate any experience or insight you folks might have to keep me from making a dumb decision.
Thanks Irish 2
It seems you have almost every possible answer you can get. Having retired two years ago here are my two cents on things to look at:

1) what you are going to use it for and who will be traveling with you. We first purchased a Class C thought it was the perfect unit only to find one Christmas trip with the kids it was simply too small. Also with that when your are traveling with guests having to close off half the coach because some one is taking a shower in the hallway shower you will wish you purchased the shower in the bathroom. I would recommend the shower in the bathroom as a matter of convenience.

2) Your financial situation is going to dictate what you can afford. It is also important to consider the additional costs such as storage when not being used, the routine maintenance and repair costs are vastly different with diesel vs gas. The last thing you need is a large repair or maintenance bill. Whether you consider a service contract, or putting a monthly amount aside for repairs and maintenance, or simply take funds from the nest egg. While gas is not as robust as diesel it gets the job done at a lesser expense. It all is part of the costs that has to be figured in.

3) Lastly, New or pre-owned - it is whatever you feel comfortable with - I went with new but in retrospect after going through the initial issues of owning two new units I would consider a unit that was 3 to 5 years old. I would probably get more for the money spent but I would probably have to wait awhile to find a coach that matched what I have now.

4) Toads - You will want to tow a car behind the coach and almost everyone does. Do you have a towable car? I ended up trading in a newer pickup truck for a older Jeep Wrangler to tow. Then there is the tow bar and mount along with auxiliary brake. Just another expense to consider.

Every penny spent was well worth it. However I didn't do my homework as much as you are doing and some expenses were not expected.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post

1) what you are going to use it for and who will be traveling with you. We first purchased a Class C thought it was the perfect unit only to find one Christmas trip with the kids it was simply too small. Also with that when your are traveling with guests having to close off half the coach because some one is taking a shower in the hallway shower you will wish you purchased the shower in the bathroom. I would recommend the shower in the bathroom as a matter of convenience.
Here is a point I would disagree with. In the Class C I used to own and the
Class A I have now the shower is across the hallway from the bathroom. ( is it still a Bathroom if you can't take a bath in it? ) Yes I can open the bathroom door and close off the hallway. I don't see this as a problem though. The only room beyond the bath and shower is the bedroom. There is no reason anyone would want to go into the bedroom except maybe the better 1/2 and she knows how to open and close a door.
I don't like confined spaces. With the hall door shut and the bathroom door open I have a lot of breathing room. We have bath mats we put down on the hallway floor. I can lay out my clothes on the bed and I have plenty of room.
If I were buying a new MH I would look for this arrangement. To each their own.
Lynn
Old 11-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
For us, #1 was floor plan. #2 was a gently used coach we could pay for in cash (it drives so much better without the weight of a mortgage ). #3 was the overall quality.

Take all the time needed to find what works for you!
Agree 100% w/Patti Brown. Paying cash for your Newmar is the best Comfort Drive option you can buy!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My preference is any Newmar DP. Products 2005-10. Stay away from the newer CAT diesels 2007-10 with Smog controls they are trouble and CAT is no longer in the OTR engine business. Also I would suggest a side radiator chassis instead of a rear radiator. Easier to access the engine. You mentioned Entegra coaches, before they were Entegra they were Travel Supreme. Same company. NEWMAR and Entegra/Travel Supreme (up until a few years ago) built on Spartan Chassis with Cummins engines. I feel they are the one of the best chassis around. The 2005-09 Monaco is also a great product Their RR10S chassis is one of the best handling and riding chassis out there (too bad the newer coaches are not using it) it rides on 8 airbags +2 with a tag axle. I would also suggest a 42' bath and a half (his and hers) makes it easier to get ready in the morning and it has a tag axle (more stable in winds and trucks passing you) and 4 slides. If you look at Tiffin stick with the Allegro Bus. Side Radiator and Cummins 400-25 HP engines.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This was a post to someone else that asked the same question.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote