Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #29

Instead of looking at brands first look at the Ford 53 chassis on the internet if you plan to buy a gasser. Ford lists all of their chassis and GVWR, wheel base etc. Then start shopping MHs. Look at the floor plan but also look at the chassis under them. A large MH on an 18,000 pound may be cheaper than the same MH on a 22,000 pound chassis. I would then check if tanks are heated and if the dump valves are heated. What you need for your type of RVing. Once you think you find what you want then shop price. Don't get sucked into a quick pushy sales pitch on any MH until you have shopped and shopped.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Into Our 3rd Year of Motorhoming

In '09 started with a Class B 10 yr. old Road Trek. Went to Nova Scotia for 2 weeks and found out that 2 people in the Class B on 3 consecutive rainy days wasn't going to cut it. In 2010, decided to move up to a Class C. Wanted to find a company that wasn't in financial trouble at the time since many of the manufactures had gone out of business or were bought out and warranties were a problem. At that time Winnebago Industries was at the top financially with no debt and the quality of their coaches was rated very good. We ended up with a Winnebago Aspect. Quality-wise was very solid but had limited storage and tank capacities for long-range camping. We recently traded the Aspect for a Class A 2008 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise 32H and will be heading for points south the end of Feb. We also joined the Winnebago Travelers after attending the Grand National Rally in Forest City, IA in 2011. Members in our regional group all have Winnebago manufactured coaches and many swear by the quality in comparison to other manufacturers. So far, so good with Winnebagos.

BerylCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #31

It depends on if you want gas or bigger diesels, but but if you want well built models, anything Newmar, Monaco (some are better than others), American Eagle, Fleetwood discovery, Damon Escaper & Intruder, anything Jayco, Allegro Bus and Holiday Rambler are all worth looking at.

I could throw out models like Prevost Marathon and Bluebird Wanderlodge, but I don't think you want your first motorhome to be a bus.

There really aren't many older motorhomes to run from...because chances are, if they're in the 80s-90s and still in good condition, they can't be all that bad, right? Lower end models, like Bounder, Flair, Southwind, most Coachmens, Hurricane, older Tiffins, and Triple E all were made similarly, so watch for things like wavy side panels (delam), warped storage bay doors etc. Finally, my vote goes for 460 V8 or V10 gas Ford, or Cummins engines, but that's just my personal preference.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarlson View Post

How much of something not working is acceptable? I mean if a fridge is shot is that expensive? If plumbing underneath leaks, is that expensive? Things like that.

I know these things may sound like rookie questions, and the are, but remember we're all rookies at something, right? :0)
Good thing to keep in mind is the cost to fix things that are not working or that my break down.

A fridge - $1000 and up.
Power steps - $500 and up
Tires - $250 - $400 each
Furnace- $600 and up

Etc. Etc. Etc.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #33

Jon Mopar - good point about if still around can't be that bad! Didn't look at it that way.
Jcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile What are the better brands of MH?

Everyone has their own brand preference for one reason or another, but I would suggest only looking at brands whose manufacturer's are still in business today for future product support, recall and safety information. I have an orphaned Fleetwood Coronado and while no longer made, Fleetwood was excellent to deal with. They provided me a recall clearance letter (required for importing the motorhome into Canada), plumbing and electrical diagrams, and a copy of my motor home brochure, all free of charge. For reviewing motor home makes, models, features, photo's, plans and prices, a good place to start would be PPL Motorhomes.

Used RVs for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Good Luck with your search! Half the fun of owning one is the search to find one that has everything you were looking for, along with a few extra goodies, HeHe.
Canfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow, can of worms! Think I'll see how far this thread progresses! Any guess out there?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #36

It's all about budget. Do you want to buy used or new Class A? Gas or Diesel? I own a 2002 Newmar Mountain Aire 3778, but I'd love to own a 2013 King Aire. You have to look at the individual coach and look at the particulars in detail. Go to several RV Shows and visit as many manufactuers at possible, get their brochures and look at their warranties. Look at their methods of construction and also look at the vendors that supply critical components to their coaches. Study the Owners' forums and see what problems are documented. Good Luck.
esfritzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardgood View Post
I just bought a 98 Beaver Patriot. Apart from obviously sitting in a barn somewhere, it appears to be well built and has a lot of bells and whistles. I am still trying to learn everything. I have slowly been going through all the equipment and confirming it works properly or fixing it. I have a technical background which helps no end.
I think the 98 Beaver Patriot Monticello with the 330 cat. is the very best DP ever made. Probably because I just bought mine yesterday, keep in touch Richard we may be able to learn together and from each other how to trouble shoot these coaches
LDP243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #38

Lots of good responses. but probably not a nailed down response like you were looking for.
Some things to consider:

1) how much money can you afford to spend on a motorhome?

2) what will you be using it for? occasional trips, full timing?

3) how many will be using it? you and spouse? kids? pet?

4) what do you expect to get with the MH? how many tvs, washer/dryer, upscale amenities?

My wife and I had planned on buying a brand new MH and were looking at tiffin, newer, and entegra originally. but reality set in and we discovered the cost were higher than we can actually afford for new MH. So we expanded the models we would consider and age of coaches. we found we could get what we wanted in any coach, just need to be willing to upgrade a used coach if needed.

we will be full timing in our motorhome once we buy one. but we will be buying something in the early 2000 year range and for about 40K to 90K.

not the 2013 newer mountain aire we had out hearts set on but something we can be very happy with and still have most of our "must haves" in the coach.

so make a list of what you have to have and figure out what you can afford to spend on a motorhome, new or used. that will be a great way to start looking at what is available and help you tweak your list according to what you find.

take your time and have fun.

DC
deafcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 AM   #39

We just bought our first motorhome last year. We looked for months before we found one on cl. We looked at class c and I didn't like them as they just felt small on the inside. It seams like the class c is more for sleeping room. We went with a class a because we liked the open floor plan and I liked the that I can stand up without hitting my head off the ceiling. We didn't test drive/rent anything we just kept looking until we found one that we liked. Since we bought our 95 it cost us about $400 to get it inspected, $200 to install a new floor I in the kitchen (that includes 3/4 plywood, glue, screws, vinyl, etc) and this year will be about $1200 for a new roof. I guess the best advice I can give you find something you like and something you won't mind putting some and money into. Just remember that finding your motorhome is half the fun
Brian313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #40

Best are probably the Newell and Provost. However, for the money vs. quality, I would recommend Winnebago.
mlynch is offline   Reply With Quote