Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #15
I googled windshield crack and they say cracks up to 24 inches can be repaired

koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #16
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
My understanding is not the length of the crack but the direction, position and severity. Caught early enough, drilling a stop hole at the end of the crack will arrest further spreading and is sometimes covered by insurance companies. (mine was) We had ours repaired at a rally two years ago and it has not spread any further.
Our state inspection laws do not allow cracks or large chips within the area of the wiper travel. (ours was not)

Call your insurance carrier back and ask about repairing it. They sometimes will wave the deductable if you go that route.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins powered Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Honda CRV, tow-N-4 Down, U.S. Gear Unified Tow brake, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
windshield Crack

Most windshields with damage in the drivers side, which is in the drivers line of sight should be fixed for safty. Safelite will give you advice on how bad the crack is and how it may spread. Winnebago windshields have a good steel frame around them which helps keep cracks from spreading.

duncan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
You say you have $1000 deductible but you did not say what the replacement would cost. I had rock chips in both my Buick LeSabre and my Pleasure-way MH which is on a Ford E350. The windshield replacement for either one is $169.00 at the local shop. I am waiting to see if the repairs hold or not. The insurance paid for both the repairs but as someone pointed out they are not guaranteed. Not getting a ticket would go a long ways in paying for a replacement.
Retired US Air Force and IBM
Sergeant80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Sergeant80 View Post
You say you have $1000 deductible but you did not say what the replacement would cost.
A few years ago I had the driver's side windshield replaced on my 2007 Bounder 35E - I believe the total bill was around $900 or so. I had to pay my $500 deductible - apparently not all insurance companies waive the deductible for windshield replacement...
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In SC no deductible for glass.
Sunny South Carolina
2004 Pace Arrow 37-C WH W-22
Pete & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #21
Master of Disaster

In KS and CA, my experience has been that the insurance company will waive the deductible for a repair but not a replacement.

SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had a windshield replaced on my coach. About $800. My insurance covered all except $100.
That's the first question I asked when changing insurance companies.
We've put 50,000 miles on our rig and a LOT of stuff hits that big windshield. I've got four chips that have been repaired and several birds have hit us.
If you don't have glass coverage now you better get some. It's just a matter of time.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #23
Not sure at all why a Winny steel frame would stop a crack from spreading vs. a rubber frame. A crack is a crack, regardless of what is holding the glass in place.

Just had a windshield replaced. Crack could not be larger than a dollar bill. They could fix it alright, but no guarantee.

The windshield I had replaced was on my Winny (Itasca). The crack started real small and then kept spreading. So much for the previous theory.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #24
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ya, they do tend to keep spreading.. right to the other side of the frame.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #25
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we were looking for a used rig, we saw many that had stress cracks near the top outer edge of the windshield. Seems the frames may be twisting when using hydraulic jacks.
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #26
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Windshield crack

As a auto glass technician for fifty years I have replaced many windshields for a crack as you described. However with todays technology that crack can most likely be repaired. google windshield repair in any large city. Do not be bashful it is your money, make sure the tech is trained and certified in long crack repair. Repair should be under 100.00 Some insurance will wave deductible. Important thing here is get it done SOON.
sac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #27
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by popsuscdds View Post
I received a ticket in California for a cracked windshield on a car.
Have fun!
That is, very likely, the greatest danger.

IF the crack or Ding is in your "Field of vision" you are very entitled to said ticket.

And if you get in an accident and someone points out that the windshield was cracked the lawyer for the jerk you accidently hit will smile.. A very expensive smile.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #28
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Scotch tape would not stop it from spreading ... "upper" varies from one coach to another. The top 18" of my glass is tinted, with just a few inches of that being visible from the driver seat, so I could have an "upper left corner" crack and never see it. On my coach, I would probably leave it until it became an obvious problem. When I had mine replaced a few years ago, ONE glass (two piece) was $750 w/o adding the labor for removal and replacement. ...and my insurance would cover it...

Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote