Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

What are the dangers of driving with a cracked windshield?

I have a 2006 Itasca Horizon with a single piece windshield. A rock hit the upper left corner, which we did not see until it had spread 3 inches up to the top edge, and 5 inches down. My deductible to replace the windshield is $1,000, so I am not anxious to replace it unless driving with it in this condition is dangerous. Any thoughts?

Erik

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't believe it's dangerous, just unattractive.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #3

The crack is not readily visible. If it doesn't present a clear and present danger, I may just let it be for a while and save my pennies!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Place a piece of scotch tape right at the bottom end of the crack and then keep an eye on it. If it keeps growing, even a little, its time to call someone about fixing it. Safelite should be able to do something. Cracks can be dangerous if they are allowed to get too big.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
It's not going to fall out, it could spread further but if properly installed it shouldn't be a real issue.

However the next rock is likely to send the cracks all over the place. Still not a danger of falling out most likely, but then could cause issues with the Sun glare and your wipers.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cracked windshield

Eriik:
I received a ticket in California for a cracked windshield on a car.
Have fun!
Milt
Old 10-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Master of Disaster

You should see if a windshield repair shop can fix it. They may be hesitant because of the size, but if you tell them you understand that it may not hold, they should do it.

What typically happens is that your crack is just in the outside layer of glass. You can verify this by running your hand across the windshield inside the coach. If it's all nice and smooth, you just want them to repair it (which is about 40 bucks and basically, they squirt epoxy inside). If it's cracked all the way through... I'd replace it, if it were me.

I have never had a crack repaired before, just the initial little cracks/impact (which is when it's best to catch it) but the repairs have held for years on different vehicles we've had.

Steve
Old 10-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
You should see if a windshield repair shop can fix it. They may be hesitant because of the size, but if you tell them you understand that it may not hold, they should do it.
Steve
Typically a rock impact appx the size of a quarter (25 cents) or less is repairable. The problem is a vacuum must be created with special tools so the epoxy will be sucked into the crack in order to repair it.
I agree with popsuscdds, the worst thing that can happen is getting a fix it ticket depending on what state you are in. The ticket does not really cost much of anything, except the $1000.00 it costs to replace the windshield.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If I remember correctly from way back when I had a NY state motor vehicle inspection license the crack had to be 17" in the wiper area (or something like that) to fail. Your location might be different of course. The idea is that your vision of the road is not obstructed. I would look to a repair first and contact your insurance company about it. They may cover a repair differently. If it is not in your road view then safety wise it isn't as much of a concern. Maybe some of the stick on tint will disguise it
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:30 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Erik, you don't say what state you're in. Some states, by law, have no deductible when it comes to windshields...Florida is one. Most insurance companies do not advertise this - worth a check.

I agree with Steve, if it's not cracked on the inside, although weakened, it shouldn't be dangerous and give you some time to save those pennies. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:39 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The other thing is that cracked windshields are usually covered under the comprehensive deductible and not your collision deductible, so it might actually be cheaper, depending. Also, some insurance companies will replace it as a safety device which is also usually cheaper, if not free.

First, however, is to see if it can be fixed..
Old 10-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #12

Many states will give you a citation if you have a cracked windshield. Having said that though I drove my motorhome for 12 years driving from Arizona to Maine and back with a crack in both the left and right windshields and didn't have a problem from either a safety or legal standpoint. The cracks were small and neither were in the field of vision.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #13

Believe that now days they do repairs on small cracks and in my case the insurance company would cover it
Old 10-31-2010, 08:41 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
As others said, legal problems usually arise if the crack is in your field of vision when driving.

If the crack is a single line with one end running to the top edge of the windshield, I'd have a glass shop stop drill the other end of the crack so it will not run any further.

Toad - "08 Ford Taurus X
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote