Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
I normally travel between 67 and 70 MPH but on my last 500 mile trip, I cruised at 63 to 65 MPH and my mileage increased a little e over 10 percent.
That's the bottom line. Once you go over 60...the MPG heads south.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
That's the bottom line. Once you go over 60...the MPG heads south.
That's true to some extent. Each engine has it's own torque curve that will affect what that magic speed is. I've been told it is 200 rpm above the peak torque in sixth gear (allison transmission). That may coincide with 60 mph give or take a few mph. That gives a compromise of time to get to a destination vs fuel used to get there. Load is one factor, but wind resistance is the biggest factor in reducing mpg. If that is true, then 200 rpm above peak torque in 5th gear might yield 55 mph. Will mpg be even better there due to less wind resistance?? Probably. I used to spend a lot of effort and thought in trying to get the best economy that I could. Then one day a light bulb went on. A 40,000# motor home towing a 13,000# trailer is not a vehicle that will ever get good milage. So now, I still drive 62-63 mph because that's the most relaxing speed for me and finally stopped thinking about something I was never going to attain. When the gauge gets down to 1/4, I look for a truck stop.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I used to spend a lot of effort and thought in trying to get the best economy that I could. Then one day a light bulb went on. A 40,000# motor home towing a 13,000# trailer is not a vehicle that will ever get good milage. So now, I still drive 62-63 mph because that's the most relaxing speed for me and finally stopped thinking about something I was never going to attain. When the gauge gets down to 1/4, I look for a truck stop.
Yep, that's how I see it too.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:37 AM   #46

Look in MH-General Discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Above about 50 mph overcoming aerodynamic drag consumes more engine power to push forward so I'm waiting to see someone market an RV air tab kit similar to the air tabs you see on some tractor trailers (e.g., beneath the trailer and around the rear doors). I'm sure some of the aero research and devices for tractor trailers would apply to MHs with the corresponding savings in fuel.
There is quite the discussion going on re: air tabs. I've not seen anything about V-Spoilers, although their website claims they do the same sort of thing, are easier to install and cheaper. I'm still evaluating this idea/option. My interest is 80% about minimizing the push from passing trucks, but improved mpg would be an added bonus.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:53 AM   #47

Haven't used the tabs yet, but going to try a few to see if reduces wind noise around my drivers window, and mirror
gbstewart
Old 09-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #48
RVM1

The MH goes from one spot to another. Fuel savings is from the toad.
Don't sweat the small stuff

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
The sweet spot on your rig is 62 mph @ 1800 rpm. I get around 8.5 to 9 mpg in that range and drive with my cruise control except when I'm in city traffic. I did have my ECM reflashed to increase the HP and torque. That helped pull the grades better but I still get about the same mpg as when I had 350 HP. My torque went from 1050 ft/lbs to 1200ft/lbs. that was the difference.
Interesting, at 62, im sitting right about 1550 rpm.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That's even better Jimmy.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
I drive a Dynasty 34ft with ISL400 since 3.600 miles in Germany.
The speed limit in Germany and in most other countrys in europe for this type of RV is 50 MPH.
I drive mostly 55 MPH due to the fact that the Allison shifts only in the 6th gear with speed > 54 MPH.
With this speed limit and most of the trip with cruise control (except grades hill) i drive this rig with 9.6 MPG.

I'm convinced that the brake pedal affected more the MPG than the accelerator.

Roland
Old 09-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #52

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
So now, I still drive 62-63 mph :
I kind of like that speed because its not to slow to worry about folks (except maybe on some two lane interstates) having to do much to get around you and still keeps the Alison in 6th as you pull a hill. If all pretty much works as planned and you are well optimized for load boost should come up and the thing make torque and you never notice a thing. And on the downhill side you still keep to some sane speed.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #53

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
That's true to some extent. Each engine has it's own torque curve that will affect what that magic speed is. I've been told it is 200 rpm above the peak torque in sixth gear (allison transmission). That may coincide with 60 mph give or take a few mph. That gives a compromise of time to get to a destination vs fuel used to get there. Load is one factor, but wind resistance is the biggest factor in reducing mpg. If that is true, then 200 rpm above peak torque in 5th gear might yield 55 mph. Will mpg be even better there due to less wind resistance?? Probably. I used to spend a lot of effort and thought in trying to get the best economy that I could. Then one day a light bulb went on. A 40,000# motor home towing a 13,000# trailer is not a vehicle that will ever get good milage. So now, I still drive 62-63 mph because that's the most relaxing speed for me and finally stopped thinking about something I was never going to attain. When the gauge gets down to 1/4, I look for a truck stop.
Cummins also has an online calculator for figuring the best rpm for mileage. With our ISX it shows 1370 as best and 1350 is 60 mph so that's where I try to stay.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
1. Always drive with a tailwind.
2. Always drive at high altitude.
3. Always use pure, not bio diesel.
4. Don't fixate on the instant fuel economy gauge.
5. You bought your rig for comfort, not fuel efficiency. Fuel efficiency comes in the diesel Yugo. Enjoy the scenery!
Old 09-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #55
RVM1

We are F/T. Our average move with the MH is about 200 miles, or about $65. I don't baby it.
The Wrangler toad takes us to magical places with sceneries and critters the average RVer may never see, except in plastic at Disney.
Twixed the 2 machines we average 15 mpg.
Damn the mpg, the Journey is the Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
If you have a 100 gallon tank and get 7.5 mpg, that's 750 miles per tank. If you improve that to 7.7 mpg, that's 770 miles. At $2.75 per gallon, that's a savings of $7.65 per tank. Big whoop.

I didn't buy a 42-foot long, 34,000 pound motor home so I could worry about fuel economy.

We travel where we want at the speeds we want and the MPG is what it is.
I didn't by a motor home so I could get from point A to point B as fast as possible.

Tags
fuel