Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 10:30 PM   #1

What are the tips you are following in order to save fuel?

How could you save the fuel?
I have seen that our company is spending a great amount for the fuels and additives. I have seen a blog,how to save fuel efficiently 3 Ways Your Fleet Can Save On Fuel | Eaglei GPS.
1. Giving proper awareness and guides to the driver
2. Avoid complete stopping of the vehicle and reduce the gear changing
3. Avoid heavy breaks, smooth stops can increase the life of the brakes
Over usage of the fuel can increase your living expenditure
What are the tips you are following in order to save fuels? Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I like to think that I've gotten pretty good mileage on my two DP's by the way I drive. I don't like the feel of the "drive by wire" throttles, so I pretty much use my cruise control to accelerate and decelerate, even in moderate traffic.

First off, diesels don't accelerate, they gain momentum. If you keep that in mind, it will keep you from wasting fuel. I don't race between lights when city driving. When I enter freeway onramps, I accelerate to about 45 mph and then engage the cruise control. Once it's set, I increase the cruise, 1 mph, about every 2 seconds, ten times. This brings me up to 55 mph on the freeway, without wasting fuel. (With the drive by wire and the engine so far behind me, I really can't feel the coach accelerating and feel that I may be pushing unneeded fuel into the engine. I just can't get a good feel through my foot and the seat of the pants.)

Once I'm at 55mph, I adjust my speed to traffic, again a mph at a time until I typically get to about 62 mph.

When exiting the freeway, I allow the coach to coast if safe and not holding up traffic.

I run the SilverLeaf VMSpc program and can easily see my engine load, engine HP, engine torque and rolling mpg. Often, you can't see a head wind or a slight uphill or a downhill, yet my SilverLeaf will show me that in my rolling mpg. Often I will adjust my speed to get better mileage when I see it's falling off. I will also increase my speed when I see I'm doing well.

My 2005 Monaco Diplomat (32000 pounds) got 9.2 mpg on a 6K cross country towing a 6K Silverado. My 2014 Dutch Star (37000 pounds, DEF motor with a tag axle) is getting 8.3 mpg towing my Silverado and seeing some high 8's towing my CRV. We will be taking the same 6K cross country trip next month and I'm curious to see if the Dutch Star can do a little better.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

I save fuel by staying in one spot for 2-3 weeks before moving. Can't use fuel if you're not driving. But seriously, be gentle with the throttle and keep speed 55-60 and make sure your tire pressures are spot on.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery

Accelerate moderately.
Hold you foot steady.
Avoid stops by not following closely, and towns.
Avoid idling.
Try to stay out of traffic.
In hills use least amount of power to climb, use downhills to get back up to speed.
Of course stay 60 MPH or under.
Delay or get ahead of headwinds.
I usually get 1-2 more MPG than most, saving 100s per year
Old 07-26-2016, 10:09 PM   #5

Thank you all
Old 07-27-2016, 08:01 AM   #6

On roads with hills I gather speed going down hill and back off going up hill. Otherwise 70mph downhill and drop down to 55 up hill trying to keep engine rpm down.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
In addition to the above, find your "cruise sweet spot", on our Cummins 500 ISM it's ~1,350 RPM @ ~61 MPH. Engage the "Mode" switch on your transmission selector panel and maximize the use of cruise control.
Stealth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Put a brink behind the accelerator.

I drive like my Mother is sitting behind me with a sharp stick ready to poke me in the back of the neck. Keep it slow and easy. Fuel usage feedback helps which I get from a dash mounted ScanGauge.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I like to think that I've gotten pretty good mileage on my two DP's by the way I drive. I don't like the feel of the "drive by wire" throttles, so I pretty much use my cruise control to accelerate and decelerate, even in moderate traffic.

First off, diesels don't accelerate, they gain momentum. If you keep that in mind, it will keep you from wasting fuel. I don't race between lights when city driving. When I enter freeway onramps, I accelerate to about 45 mph and then engage the cruise control. Once it's set, I increase the cruise, 1 mph, about every 2 seconds, ten times. This brings me up to 55 mph on the freeway, without wasting fuel. (With the drive by wire and the engine so far behind me, I really can't feel the coach accelerating and feel that I may be pushing unneeded fuel into the engine. I just can't get a good feel through my foot and the seat of the pants.)

Once I'm at 55mph, I adjust my speed to traffic, again a mph at a time until I typically get to about 62 mph.

When exiting the freeway, I allow the coach to coast if safe and not holding up traffic.

I run the SilverLeaf VMSpc program and can easily see my engine load, engine HP, engine torque and rolling mpg. Often, you can't see a head wind or a slight uphill or a downhill, yet my SilverLeaf will show me that in my rolling mpg. Often I will adjust my speed to get better mileage when I see it's falling off. I will also increase my speed when I see I'm doing well.

My 2005 Monaco Diplomat (32000 pounds) got 9.2 mpg on a 6K cross country towing a 6K Silverado. My 2014 Dutch Star (37000 pounds, DEF motor with a tag axle) is getting 8.3 mpg towing my Silverado and seeing some high 8's towing my CRV. We will be taking the same 6K cross country trip next month and I'm curious to see if the Dutch Star can do a little better.
the Feel of fly by wire.. add a throttle return spring from an older style carburetor type car.. CHEAP.. may need to make a small bracket.. adds the FEEL back.

just trying to help.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:08 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I only drive down hill, and when I get to the bottom I'm not going any further!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Put a brink behind the accelerator.
I have to get one of these but not sure where to find one.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I have to get one of these but not sure where to find one.
Got past the spell checker what ever it is.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
In addition to the above, find your "cruise sweet spot", on our Cummins 500 ISM it's ~1,350 RPM @ ~61 MPH. Engage the "Mode" switch on your transmission selector panel and maximize the use of cruise control.

Sounds good to me....how do I find the " sweet spot" on a Cummins 350 ISL
Old 07-27-2016, 07:04 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I normally travel between 67 and 70 MPH but on my last 500 mile trip, I cruised at 63 to 65 MPH and my mileage increased a little e over 10 percent.

Tags
fuel