Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting perspective Tireman...

"You do understand B2B coverage has essentially NO exclusions other than tires and possibly brake pads.
I have had burned out light bulbs replaced at 42,000 miles"

Can you share which manufacturers offer such warranties and at what cost?
And, are you really saying that all coach manufacturers that offer only a 1 year warranty "don't care about quality?"

Were the tires you designed built to provide the absolute highest level of safety and longevity that technology could provide without regard to cost?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #44

It seems ludicrous to compare quality without quantifiying the product. I myself am looking for a coach in the $100 - $125K price range. No older than a 2004 for fulltiming. I can't be concerned about the quality of a coach that doesn't fit my criteria. Similiarily to you have to qualify a product before you can quantify it's quality. What I mean is my list is not going to include Prevost, Marathon or Executive

Old 07-25-2010, 09:43 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newell
Prevost
Foretravel
Bluebird
Country Coach
Monaco

Pretty much in that order.

Ken
Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #46

Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Nuttmann
warranty

Over the last 15 years extended warranties have been used by some companies as an effort to cover bad quality or a bad quality reputation. Hyundai comes to mind. Whereas I have a number of products such as cross pens that I know will last my lifetime and do have a lifetime warranty.

Most class A type motor homes would not lend themselves to extended B2B warranties. For example, I have a Motosat F1 internet satellite. Why would I want to take that all the way to the motor home makers plant to have work done on it. Why not just get Todd the local Sat guy to do the work. My point. Most motor home makers assemble parts from other makers. Usually repairs on those items is best done by the actual maker and not the assembler.

All that said, if you are buying a new motor home you should try to get as good a warranty as possible. But I don't think class A's are like cars. BMW covers everything but they make everything too. I suppose Navistar is getting up there in percentage of components made by the maker, but not since GMC has anyone made the whole thing.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
FORETRAVEL.. without a doubt... someday i'll get one.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of folks have gotten on the bandwagon to offer their opinion about what quality is and many have even offered an opinion about the best on the list! The one thing I noticed most is the one that I own is not on anybodys list.
On that, I agree!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #49
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Interesting perspective Tireman...

"You do understand B2B coverage has essentially NO exclusions other than tires and possibly brake pads.
I have had burned out light bulbs replaced at 42,000 miles"

Can you share which manufacturers offer such warranties and at what cost?
And, are you really saying that all coach manufacturers that offer only a 1 year warranty "don't care about quality?"

Were the tires you designed built to provide the absolute highest level of safety and longevity that technology could provide without regard to cost?
I do not have the data for all current RVs. What I have observed over the past two years is that with one exception the standard warranty appears to be 12 months 12k miles or there about.
I do note that warranty info is not something that the various RV magazines (FMCA, Motorhome, GoodSams, Trailer Life) pay much attention too. Sometimes they mention the 12 month warranty sometimes that info doesn't appear in the PR article the magazine publishes.

B2B cost
Not sure if any manufacturer is willing to offer B2B for year two, three or four at any cost.

RE Tires
We offered 4 year warranty on manufacturing defects. Since tires by nature are intended to provide service for a limited munber of miles the warranty basically covered the normal wear life.
Road hazard warranty was an extra cost option for some tire lines.

By comparison why can't someone make a refrigerator or furnace or water pump that is good for more than a few months operation?

Why do manufacturers use wire and water connectors that they are not willing to stand behind for more than 12 months?
Old 10-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #50
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nuttmann View Post
Over the last 15 years extended warranties have been used by some companies as an effort to cover bad quality or a bad quality reputation. Hyundai comes to mind. Whereas I have a number of products such as cross pens that I know will last my lifetime and do have a lifetime warranty.

Most class A type motor homes would not lend themselves to extended B2B warranties. For example, I have a Motosat F1 internet satellite. Why would I want to take that all the way to the motor home makers plant to have work done on it. Why not just get Todd the local Sat guy to do the work. My point. Most motor home makers assemble parts from other makers. Usually repairs on those items is best done by the actual maker and not the assembler.

All that said, if you are buying a new motor home you should try to get as good a warranty as possible. But I don't think class A's are like cars. BMW covers everything but they make everything too. I suppose Navistar is getting up there in percentage of components made by the maker, but not since GMC has anyone made the whole thing.
I agree that Hyundai needed to do something to address the poor quality in their 90's vintage cars. But simply eating the warranty costs is no way to stay in business so what they seem to have done is to get serious about their design and build quality so they keep their warranty costs to a minimum.

Extended warranties offered by some car manufacturers are B2B but I am not aware of any RV extended warranty that is B2B. The list of exceptions includes everything on my Coachmen except the Refrig, Furnace and genset so I decided to not pay the price for essentially no coverage as the stuff that is most likely to fail (and in some cases has failed at less then 36 months) is the stuff the RV manufacturer put together or would not have been covered such as brake lights, holding tank heaters, holding tank level wireing, dump valves, water heater valve, and awning.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #51
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEPPER9950 View Post
FORETRAVEL.. without a doubt... someday i'll get one.
It appears that with w 36/36 Warranty Foretravel may be the exception and can claim to be a quality built coach.
Now all we need is a model nearer the $100k level.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:08 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My top picks:

1. A coach that has never been a problem. Everything works as it should, and very little maintenance.
2. A coach that my spouse and I feel comfortable having.
3. A coach that I can afford.
4. A coach that has plenty of power when I need it.
5. A coach that is economical to operate.

Yeah, I know...it's not a matter of brands. People buy coaches for different reasons, and I wouldn't dare trash the choice of that someone has picked. When I went looking to "buy" a coach, my first consideration was what I could afford. That being said, if I could AFFORD any conversion of my choice that I've actually been in; it would be a Prevost.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Newell
Newell
Newell
Prevost
Foretravel
Monaco
Old 10-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #54

In the details...

One part of Quality is in the hidden details, how did they build the thing.

We have an older CC, so we are just a little biased...

We had to replace the water system, was not fault of CC, Shell oil created the materials.

In replacing the system we discovered the tubing was clamped down every 12 or less inches, there was no way any of the system ws going to move, this meant a little more work getting the new stuff behind the shower and through tight places, but we got it in.

We also got to look at the hidden stuff, color inspection cameras are great fun.

Simply put, our coach is built better than our house, they are both about the same age...

Our new installation was not clamped the same way where we could not get to it.

During a trip to a local self serve wrecking yard where they have a couple rows of MH we were able to see how they were built, there was a collection of Tiffen to Winnies, none of them were built the same as ours, when the tubing or wiring gets behind the panel where no one could see it it was simply laid on the floor or shelf with a clamp here or maybe there.

The Tiffin had some interesting hardware for keeping the doors closed which we harvested, but there did not seem to be much difference in the general construction between most of them.

I would state that there are simply different classes of MH.

The Gassers need to be conservitive of weight, so things must be done to keep the weight down, the result is a different materials and construction while the DP is less restricted with weight so different materials and methods are used.

So if one is looking at purchasing new to them unit, look behind the scenes to see how they are built, everyone here has great information and most are biased a little which is great, but everyone should see with their own eyes the insides of the unit they are looking at to see how it is built where you are not expected to look.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Winnebago/Itasca
Tiffen
Newell
Prevost
Newmar
Old 10-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #56
Commercial Member

TQ60 is right. There are lots of Hidden things.
In my Coachmen I found half empty spray can of paint, multiple locations of the air duct being crushed to half height, holes bashed with a hammer through wall pannels, scrap wire behind walls, wires just cut off and connected to nothing or they were supposed to connect to holding tank heeters but I don't know which.