Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is truly remarkable that a camera can pick up a duel losing air. You would think that with a camera and heat sensing devices that a TPMS would also be part of the safety package !
Forward facing radar (FFR) has been installed to detect low, unmarked overpasses encountered by large trucks making rural deliveries. I understand this is now mandatory in some rural areas.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #44

I may have missed it mentioned in another post, but having experienced a battery compartment fire earlier this year, I would strongly suggest either one of your cameras or better yet a suppression system in the battery compartment.

Bubba1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #45

Up to eight cameras now!! Might need a bigger alternator or inverter to run them??
Old 08-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Sobering thread especially after reading that link. I will definitely double check alarms and extinguishers.

Here is an excerpt:

Unfortunately, RV fires are one of the largest causes of RV loss in America today. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fire departments, RV repair shops, and insurance carriers estimate there are approximately 6,300 RV fires annually. Deaths resulting from RV fires are estimated at 5 to 20 each year and RV Alliance America statistics show half of fires erupt while the RV is parked.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
That is truly remarkable that a camera can pick up a duel losing air. You would think that with a camera and heat sensing devices that a TPMS would also be part of the safety package !
Forward facing radar (FFR) has been installed to detect low, unmarked overpasses encountered by large trucks making rural deliveries. I understand this is now mandatory in some rural areas.
i do have a good tpms. a big fire hazard a lot of people may not be aware of is when two under-inflated dullies are touching each other on the fly. i have read reports that fire erupted from there.

another big thing is how you know the wheel conditions from under. 10 years ago i drove a car behind a 18-wheeler. i saw one of the truck inner tires at rear dullies was wobbling about 1 inch away on each turn, obviously dangerously abnormal. i tried to alert the driver, but there was no phone number on the cargo box. i changed to left lane, drove up and waved to him, he was high and didn't see me. later due to traffic i couldn't move and the truck rolled away. at the time i felt guilty that i wasn't able to tell him (if it were today, i would call 911). he would continue to drive until either the wheel would fall out, or the outer dully would blow out due to the weight being put upon it. i wish he caught it in time.

so, my camera under the chassis will serve these purposes. needless to say to monitor brake and leaking fluids etc...
Old 08-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like a bit of overkill but you will be well protected. Sometimes peace of mind is worth a lot. Hope to see you somewhere on the road and discuss some of the results of your electronics information gathering.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba1 View Post
I may have missed it mentioned in another post, but having experienced a battery compartment fire earlier this year, I would strongly suggest either one of your cameras or better yet a suppression system in the battery compartment.
good point mike. will keep it on radar
Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Sounds like a bit of overkill but you will be well protected. Sometimes peace of mind is worth a lot. Hope to see you somewhere on the road and discuss some of the results of your electronics information gathering.
sure gordon, will be glad to meet when our roads cross. when you see a rig in a boonie like the one shown on avatar, it's me . i designed the graphic and had the shop paint it. it's unique, there isn't another with same look in the world
Old 08-12-2014, 03:42 AM   #51

All you who poo-poo engine and refrigerator fires just because you've never had one are living a fantasy and clearly don't read these forums much.. I've never had one either, but I'm also not stupid and realize the odds are in my favor, but we also all pay insurance each year "just in case", right? I agree that putting a camera in a dark camera in the engine compartment is silly, especially since none of those cameras are even capable of either focusing that close or wide. Once you see a fire, now what? Gonna put one behind the fridge also? That in itself is an excellent way to start a fire.

What IS smart is a one time insurance investment installing auto-discharge extinguishers in the engine and rear fridge areas. I have AFFF next to the CAT, and infact two Halon behind the NORCOLD (one high, one low) after there was a post here showing a totaled RV fire where the Halon never went off because the fire started too high. You'all can call me a Boy Scout, but I'll be the one who gets out with plenty of warning and probably my stuff wether the RV technically survives or not. If none of them never go off, all the better. It's an insurance investment that I do once and can remove and transfer if I choose.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:01 AM   #52

I agree with the fire extinguisher program. U get the protection and are not looking at camera screens when you should be watching the road.

Russell
Old 08-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #53

If I was installing cameras I would place one where I could see the door, and whoever has come a knocking.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:25 AM   #54

A door cam would be good. No need to monitor it going down the road!! Good chance you not be having anyone knock on it at 60 MPH. Lol
Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #55

Agree with SCVJeff! And, agree with those who mentioned ignoring the high potential of RV fire is living in fantasy land. The latter need to visit some RV wrecking yards, insurance storage lots, or do some reading. Alarms can be life saving to gain exit time, but automatic suppression systems add a huge advantage in the probability of putting the fire out, as well as gaining exit time. Arguably best to have both.

Our preference is to have a dual head foam on each side of the engine, a foam in the genny compartment, a halon in the electrical compartment, another halon in the battery compartment, and two, hi and lo, for any gas absorption refrigerator as a minimal auto system.

Cost is actually minimal in comparison to life and limbs and personal effects. Plus, it's a small cost compared to the MH cost. Some cost might be offset by reduced insurance premiums, too.

We like the Fire Fight RV systems manufactured in Orlando. They can be installed there or they are often available from other vendors at RV shows and large rally's. Fire Fight Supplemental Halon Fire Suppression Systems
Old 08-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Help me with this !
I have been following this post from it's inception and am having a difficult time trying to determine if most of this is really serious or is it meant to be comical ?

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, cat