Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tankcj......When you buy a microwave it comes with that flapper. You keep it in to vent to an outside duct and you remove it to vent to the inside of the coach at the top of the microwave. Most motorhomes vent to the inside so you don't have issue with an exterior flapper that will make noise while driving. The downside as "steved44" stated is that it will often set off your smoke alarm that Monaco typically mounted pretty close to the microwave vent. When cooking something that might produce some smoke, we make sure the Fantastic Fan is on in the kitchen.

The bar is called an Extend-A-Vise. As stated, it keeps your slide from moving while underway. If it was intended for you coach, it most likely was attached to your largest slide, which should be the driver's side front. Look on the wall just in front of the driver's side front slide (when the slide is in) for a white plastic disc (about 1.5" in diameter) at about the level of the top of the slide. As stated it will have a pin inside the hole. That pin corresponds to a slot cut on the smaller end of the Extend-A-Vise. Insert the pin into the hole and then angle the vise up until it's level. Now you twist it with your hand to extend the pad until it touches the back flange of your slide. If the distance is too far to adjust by screwing the arm, there are adjustable pins in the arm that let you extend or shorten the arm. It should already be at the proper length. Give it a good hard twist, but don't deform the slide flange.

Mine fits right behind the driver's seat and helps reduce the noise of the slide moving around on rough roads.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry for the resolution but here is a picture that shows what I assume to be the part on the wall that the lock threads on to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide lock.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	51844  

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Thanks, that's an easy way to tell!
Thanks, ours (Monaco Cayman 40) vents to the interior and have been debating the merits of getting it vented to the exterior. You've convinced me to proceed.
3 Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry for the resolution but here is a picture that shows what I assume to be the part on the wall that the lock threads on to.
that's the one alright. when the slide is retracted the lock fits into the hole as per my previous post. Travel safe.
3 Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
ok so is this required when traveling or is it a "in case you need it" type thing?

It was wrapped in plastic so I assume the PO never used it.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved44 View Post
Tankcj, turn on your microwave, if it blows back into the room you probably don't have an outside vent. Mine was that way and I had an outside vent installed last year. Keeps my smoke alarm from going off when DW is cooking.
so you cut the side wall open? that should be a good adventure and real rewarding now i need to think about it harder
Old 12-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #21

Quote:
ok so is this required when traveling or is it a "in case you need it" type thing?

It was wrapped in plastic so I assume the PO never used it.
As one person mentioned, it can remove some of the travel noise as it keeps the slide tight but really it's protection in the case that the slide mechanism fails. My hydraulic system even mentions "Slide Travel" even though I have never experienced that. There have been reports of slides opening while driving! On the flip side, there have been reports of slide motors activating while on the road and damaging the coach due to a slide lock like that being in-between the slide and where it wanted to go.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #22

Are these slide locks more likely to be used on hydraulic slides rather than electric ones?
firedoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #23

I too had an 08 Beaver Contessa. You don't need either. The microwave vent is not used, as installed. The slide lock is dumb! To be effective you should have 2 and they should be on the bottom of the slide, not the top. They only give you one because you can't get to the rear end of the big slide. A slide that begins to come out comes out from the bottom first. The other problem with a top lock is that if you forget to remove it before opening the slide you will put the full force of the ram on the entire slide, this wouldn't be the case if it was at the bottom on both sides. I never used mine and never would when I looked at how it was intended to be used.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Most motorhomes vent to the inside so you don't have issue with an exterior flapper that will make noise while driving.
Venting the microwave/hood fan to the outside is worthwhile modification.
However, adding an outside microwave can be complicated and expensive, (especially if the micro is located on an inside wall like mine).

IMO the reason most RV microwaves are not vented has more to do with the bottom line than noise prevention).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #25

I have never heard the flapper from either my range hood or my washer/dryer. Maybe that is because I drive a gasser.....
Old 12-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #26

I had my vent done last year in Red Bay Alabama. That's where Tiffin motorhomes are built, and they will do those mods. I didn't have mine done at the factory, but by a guy that used to work there. His name is Brannon Hutchinson and he has a shop just outside of town. He charged me around $200 and then had a paint shop in town paint the vent to match the bus. Glad we had it done as it also vents heat out of the bus while cooking. Steve

steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver