Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2017, 07:45 AM   #29

In all things in life, most of us can't have everything, so compromises/trade offs are in order:
Two bathroom sinks - have this and non-negotiable, but would possibly consider getting bath & 1/2-not sure we really need it
No carpet-replaced carpet in ours
Have table/chairs dinette on driver's side - probably would like on other side, but not a deal breaker. Credenza is nice. Had a MH without-much nicer with
DH would like a tag
stackable washer/dryer-have this-non-negotiable
residential fridge - replaced RV fridge with this-much better
Don't get all the talk about Aqua Hot-have never had an issue with hot water even with 5 staying in the MH-must be missing something???
Access with slides closed-have this and very important
Would LOVE a king bed-have one at home-only have Queen in MH
Nightstands beside bed-have this and have seen some without-deal breaker for me
Would like a 3rd air conditioner-only have 2
Really like a recliner or two. Replaced the love seat sofa with a swivel, wall hugger recliner. Might put in a 2nd one.
Have microwave/convection oven. Don't miss a regular oven at all. Never bake or use an oven.
Enough CCC to comfortably pack for a trip. Have seen some with too little capacity.

Happy hunting.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
The thing we completely missed was making sure there is enough counter space in the kitchen to actually prepare a meal.
Even though we near always grill there is still prep work to do in the kitchen (or maybe a salad to make). The counters are annoyingly small, almost to small to work.

Now when we look at RVs the FIRST thing we look at is the kitchen counter space.
That's a go/no-go for us right there. We've been in some big beautiful rigs that had the best of everything (both DP and gas) and gorgeous marble counter top - but only about 2 feet of it. It looked like they chopped the kitchen to make room for the 50" TV that rises up out of the entertainment center.

The next thing we look for is interior storage. It seems that in some you can store food, or clothes, but not both.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #31

Few or no one has mentioned washer/dryer and king bed. Those would be on our list. Residential fridge too.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Queen bed. I'd like a regular queen but I'll settle for a short one.
Fold out couch for the very rare times when someone sleeps over.
No slides. I like to sleep and run and want the inside unobstructed.
Actual shower. No sitting on the pot to wash please.
2 a/c's would be nice but not necessary. Gas hot water, heat, stove and fridge. No starting the Genny on a quiet morning in the woods.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #33

We spent years dreaming, researching, etc. We've selected a Newmar Bay Star 3113. I'll try to remember why

Price - We didn't want to finance more than $100k. We can afford more but don't want too.

Size - We plan to boondock a lot. Smaller is easier to maneuver. Also gets us into more campgrounds with size limits. And we're moving toward a simpler lifestyle so no need for excessive storage.

King Bed - Have had one for 20 years. Could go back to a queen but don't want too.

Dining Table - We hate booths. Uncomfortable, one size (never) fits all, space hogs. We wanted a normal table and chair set up of some kind.

Lot's of Cargo Carrying Capacity - I know I said we didn't need tons of storage but we don't want to count every ounce. We'd rather have more capacity and not need it that have less and need more.

Big Tanks - We wanted at least a 50 gal gray tank and 60 or more gallons of fresh water. Black tanks seem to follow suit when it comes to size. We got 75 FW, 60 Gray and 40 Black. Not bad in a 32 foot gasser and should allow us to camp for a week or more with no hook ups.

Good Coach Builder and Good Dealer - If the builder doesn't turn out quality coaches they stand behind and the dealer isn't focused on customer service, you're asking for trouble.

Full Time Worthy - You can full time in anything but we wanted something that wasn't cheaply built. We saw too many coaches with low end travel trailer hardware, fixtures, storage doors, etc. We wanted DP quality in a gas coach.

Residential Fridge - We've come to appreciate the advantage of residential and be wary of the fires, recalls, lawsuits and general poor reliability of RV fridges.

TV Placement - We're not going full time to watch TV but it's a common way to spend a few hours. We didn't want a TV mounted in the cockpit or one positioned perpendicular to the seating. It had to be comfortable to watch.

I'm sure there's more...
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO it will depend upon your ideas and how you plan to use the unit.

Good advice about getting to some of the things like bed, fridge, bathroom, etc with slides closed. I don't have a ton of experience with units with closed slides but doubt that many of them will have issues. Difficulty yes. Our coach closes up pretty tight but I can get to everything. I am 170 lbs but if I were 300 it would be different. There are a couple drawers we cannot open with the slides in but that is it. It is a matter of compromises, tight when traveling is spacious when parked. We can get to the washroom, bed, fridge, pantry, we can make lunch and eat it comfortably with slides closed.

Features are personal. Go to a number of dealers and view as many coaches as you can. Sit in each and role play. What are you doing when it is raining and cannot get outside comfortably? Do you have enough room to not be in each others face after a couple days?

Is the shower big enough? Can you cook with enough counter space?

We like all electric, stackable washer/drier, residential fridge, aqua hot, heat pumps, king bed, bath and half, no tv over dash, table and chairs, comfortable couch (high back), lots of counter space, lots of storage.

I would look at as many coaches as you can and from each pick the things you must have, want and would like. From that list determine the coach that comes closes to checking all of the boxes. That will determine what kind of fuel you will buy.

Getting what pleases you the first time will save money in the long run. More people change units because of floor plan and amenities than the engine that moves them.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk70 View Post
I know everyone is different but as

I am putting together a list

I am always missing something.

For example, someone just mentioned to me access to kitchen, fridge, and bathroom when slides are closed - that is a requirement but something I wasn't thinking about/

So,

any

items that you required when purchasing

that may come in handy for me?

Appreciate it
First for me - Is it good in the WINTER?

Diesel

Full sized Shower

Private Water closet

King Bed

Mid station TV

Large closet

Dishwasher

Washer/dryer

Gas stove

Couch

Love seat

Tile Floors in Living area/entrance

Solid Wood cabinets

Slide out basement trays

Full length awning

That's a start

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #36

I wanted an outdoor kitchen so I could hook up my camp chef and have everything I needed. Unfortunately we never found a unit that met our needs. We were able to compromise by the fact that the mh we bought has a propane quick connect already installed. So I got mt camp chef hook up. None of that was a must have but our previous TT had small windows at the head if the bed. Mt wife really liked that so oddly enough that was a must have.
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #37

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Warren View Post
I wanted an outdoor kitchen so I could hook up my camp chef and have everything I needed. Unfortunately we never found a unit that met our needs. We were able to compromise by the fact that the mh we bought has a propane quick connect already installed. So I got mt camp chef hook up. None of that was a must have but our previous TT had small windows at the head if the bed. Mt wife really liked that so oddly enough that was a must have.
I have noticed the window at the head of the bed in only a few MH's. I might say it's a requirement but so few have it that I moved it to a want list.

Since this will be used for mostly weekends and then the 2-3 week vacation trips per year my list of requirements right now stands at:

- Bunks that have windows
- 2 outlets minimum in kitchen
- enough counter space in bathroom. I hate pedestal sinks- no space to put anything
- access to kitchen, bathroom, and fridge when slides closed
- outlets/usb ports in master bed nightstands
- 2 A/C's but that depends on the length

If I get the above, I will next looks for the below wants (but by no means a deal breaker):
- central vac
- washer/dryer
- window at head of master
- bunk bed TV's
- sleeper sofa or drop down bunk over cab
jk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #38

What are/were your Class A Requirements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk70 View Post
I have noticed the window at the head of the bed in only a few MH's. I might say it's a requirement but so few have it that I moved it to a want list.

Since this will be used for mostly weekends and then the 2-3 week vacation trips per year my list of requirements right now stands at:

- Bunks that have windows

- 2 outlets minimum in kitchen

- enough counter space in bathroom. I hate pedestal sinks- no space to put anything

- access to kitchen, bathroom, and fridge when slides closed

- outlets/usb ports in master bed nightstands

- 2 A/C's but that depends on the length

If I get the above, I will next looks for the below wants (but by no means a deal breaker):

- central vac

- washer/dryer

- window at head of master

- bunk bed TV's

- sleeper sofa or drop down bunk over cab

The one we bought has a washer and dryer. Like you we use it for long weekends and dry camping. 30 nights a year max. At this point the first thing I would give up is the washer dryer. Until such time as we ever go away for an extended trip I doubt we will ever use it. That would make a great pantry. But not worth the effort of removing it. Good luck on your search and purchase.
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #39

I recently ordered my second diesel pusher. Like most I had a list of must have items and a list of like to have things.
Must have:
1. Quality of materials and workmanship.
2. Chassis that works well with the power train.
3. Overall size that allows entry into most state and fed parks.
4. Salon including two very comfortable recliners with a direct view of the TV.
5. All electric.
Like to Have:
1. Emergency sleeping for guests.
2. Comfortable to drive and operate.
3. Ability to select colors outside and inside.
4. Split bathroom.
5. Washer/Dryer/Dishwasher.
6. Good garage storage.

I am retired and will be solo, with my dog, about 80% of the time. I will do easy/simple maintenance but not major repairs. I wound up ordering a Newmar 33'. I had to order to get the colors and furniture I want. I also ordered to be able to delete a couple of standards and pass on many of the options found on the sales lots.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #40

For us, we had a pickup camper and loved the manueverability. Our must-haves:
Walk upright around either side of the bed. No TV to duck in the middle of the night, not crawling over DW to get up.
A shower tall enough for a 6 foot adult.
A double sink. I can't believe HR builds a 30 footer with a single kitchen sink (and round to boot).
Access to bath and bed with the slides in.
Real live chairs to sit in. Booth becomes a pain in the butt after 20 minutes.
Easy to set up and tear down so we can use it as a car during the day.
A good local dealer with a competent service department.
We ended up with a Newmar Bay Star Sport 2702 and love it.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
For us it was floor plan first. We’re traveling with our three pre-teen boys so a bunkhouse was critical.

After that my wife - our primary and sometimes solo driver - wanted a shorter RV.

We wanted something sleeping more than 5 so we could take friends for short trips.

We wanted something reliable long term. That doesn’t seem to exist in RVs. We went with a manufacturer who could at least get us parts for years to come.

We ended up with a 2018 Winnebago Sunstar 31BE. Bunkhouse floor plan. 32’ but with our flat tow Jeep we’re about 45 feet. 7 seatbelts and bedding for more kids.

Tags
class a