Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #1

What are you planning to be your next coach?

So I'm trying to narrow down my search on a class A. However, I'm still all across the board in my thinking. It would be interesting to understand what others have in mind for their next coach purchase.

Tell us what you are planning for your next coach.
If used, what are you hoping to spend and what do you expect to get for that amount?
If new, how much below MSRP are you hoping to deal for?
What is motivating you toward your particular choice?
What options do you want or modification do you expect to make, so it suits you?
If you just bought, what made you choose your new coach?
Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #2

I can't be much help, but you can read my threads in the Newmar section to see what lead up to our decision. Others have also posted what they're going through in ordering their dream coach.

The only thing for me: I want to be 10-15 years older, we'll see whats out there then.

Good luck. Choose wisely or spend often.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
next DP

The next one will be another DP or Tag with a true Jake Brake that will actually contribute to slowing down 32k pounds. The exaust brake just doesn't cut it with me out here in the West.

Just my opinion, yours will probably vary and Merry Christmas to all
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
We purchased our new to us 2004 Bounder back in May, so we aren't trading up just yet. Ours has two sides, one in the bedroom and a super slide for the living/dining area. We picked this one mainly because of the floor plan however, it only having 6200 miles on it sealed the deal. The bathroom is totally private and you do not have to go through the bedroom to get to it. Our Bounder is a gasser, but so far we are averaging 7-10 mpg without towing and over the last 6500 miles we averaged 7.3 mpg total! That includes mountainous and level terrain. I don't have a lead foot and I am quite comfortable driving at 60-65 mph.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #5

Probably something horse drawn
Old 12-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
If you just bought, what made you choose your new coach?
Thanks!
In my mind, the kind of use dictates what kind of unit is the best choice. No point of investing in a class A for a few weeks of travel each year. On the other hand, a small class B would be a poor choice for an extended trip in most cases.

For our recent 13 month outing (see my sig line), we chose a 37 Ft. used DP. I would have chosen something smaller for shorter (say 3 month) trips, but the amount of basement and interior storage to carry 4 seasons worth of clothing made this a good choice for the two of us.

What I really liked about our choice:

It has a 7,000 pound cargo capacity, so there is virtually no reasonable limit, and front to rear cargo balance is not as critical as with small capacity rigs.

It has a 10,000 pound towing capacity. That means that our SUV filled with cargo and fuel (6,000 Lbs.) is way below full capacity.

The small Diesel (Cummins 6.7L - 350 HP) has adequate performance and gets an honest 10 MPG average in combined flat and hilly driving.

2 Slides are a good compromise between the simplicity on none and the complexity of 4.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
In January, we bought our current motor home. The galley was the selling feature for me - the U-shaped counter in the 1999 Tradewinds 7371. DH wanted a diesel pusher, so he got what he wanted too. It only has one-slide which seems ample to us after nearly 30 years without slides.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My wife and I have a list of must haves and nice to haves. Our list is constantly refined as we search. It was 16 degrees here this morning and Aqua Hot just moved up to the top of her list. We also would like at least two slides (3-4 is better), tag axle, 40' min length, and a large diesel engine(1200 ft lbs or more). Some items like the TV and RV refigerator can be updated, so they are not on the must have list.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #9

We are looking to 'upgrade' our 2003 to a newer MH. Looking at 40' max, 3 or 4 slides (no full side slides), 2008-2011 model year, no tag, plenty on counter space in the kitchen, forced air heating. Also want a Cummins engine, would like side radiator but.... The inside colors need to be warm and not too loud, as there are times that we spend a fair amount of time inside. Tile floors so they are easy to clean. I like the way that the outside compartment doors open on the newer MH's. They look to be easier to get into. Needs to have a diesel generator, not propane.
This is our starting point, for the Monaco & Holiday Rambler's that we have been looking at.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
If new, how much below MSRP are you hoping to deal for?
I Think most people expect to negotiate 25% to 30% off the MSRP and that is what the "Show Specials" usually reflect.

Happy hunting. Shopping is one of the fun parts of RVing.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #11

Definately a bunk house or a coach with a drop down cab bunk. Most of the time it's just my husband and me but when the grandson comes along I want him to have his own bed without having to pull-out the sofa or drop the table.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
There are so many options and each couple has different needs and wants. We rented our MHs for many years before buying. We rented from El Monte Rents (Bounders) and Altmans (Winnys) each year for our vacations. We always had a new MH and enjoyed the upgrades that came with each new year model. When we finally bought ours (2004 Dolphin) we had a good idea of what we wanted and what we didn't want. We are very happy with our choice. We went to the RV show in Pomona, CA last summer and I looked at a lot of MHs from basic to top of the line. After all was said and done I still like ours better that anything we saw.
It's ahard choice to make. Good Luck!
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #13

Sorry I can't answer all your questions but here is my 2 cents worth.
Our Winnebago is our first class A and we are quite happy with it. As far as future coach I guess we could say we have future "wants", here are some in no particular order. Personally I would only buy used, there are many low milage (under 30K) and five year old coaches out there for thousands below the cost of new. It's not like a new warranty is that attractive.

"Full" size queen bed 80" long
Auto generator start
Three rooftop AC units
Window awnings
Windshield shades not wrap around curtains
Side radiator if a DP
Dinette on curb side (to view our campsite not the neighbors)
Residential refrigerator
More windows in bedroom
60+ gallons capacity in the gray tank

"Other" notes:
Room when slides are in to move around and pack clothes?
Are driver and passenger seats comfortable? Adjustments ?
Only one sofa / couch, two opposing looks like a waiting room.
If a DP then kitchen preferably in the front of the coach.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Before I bought mine, I have been searching and testing for a year. Among many of them I had driven, CC Intrigue was on top - built strong, details focused, comfort on road, and looking elegant. I bought this one very cheap, still think i made the right choice after so many trips. do i plan to upgrade with another? nah, not for foreseeable future.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote