Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #1

What are “your friends” most bonehead moments done while RVing?

You don’t need to give “your friends” name, just a description to help others avoid.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

Dumping his tanks he got splashed pretty good with black tank waste. Remember to check your connections if you are using 2 hoses to dump.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Long ago back in the popup days "my friend" left the door step down and drove away. The old Coleman doors hinged at the bottom so the door stuck out from the side and took out 2 cable and one phone pylons along with some pink flamingos before being discovered.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #4

This one really is about a friend. He was in love with a woman. She asked him if he would pull a fifth wheel from California to Montana. He had never pulled anything before. Along the route, he went under a low underpass and shaved both AC units off the fiver. Adding to his pain, the woman rejected his love.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #5

I ran over/ onto a fire ring last week with the car, only causalty was trim popped off lower bumper, trim snapped back on.

Camp spot was like a field no parking spots , just lots of grass.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #6

Driving down a boulevard in Santa Rosa CA......my awning....er...I mean MY FRIEND's awning, got caught by some low hanging branches and ripped it off the trailer. Fortunately some Mexican solder got things patched up enough until we got back to Canada. Oh and the fridge vent too. Fortunately, no rain until the next campground where I...my friend..... replaced the vent.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #7

Lots of Water Everywhere

My wife's "Best Friend" was in a hurry to do all the hookups in the pouring rain at night.
Hooked up water, turned on but forgot switch was in tank fill mode. My wife yelled at her friend "Why is water pouring out of bottom of bedroom closet?".
Let's just say that was a long night and there is now a BIG tag on that switch.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Broke "his" own cardinal rule and left the awning out when he took the motorcycle into town to witness all the debauchery of Bike Week in Ocean City. A few hours later, he was the only biker not huddled under a gas station awning or overpass as the worse rain he ever experienced on the bike came down. He headed back to the RV with his boots literally filled with water and even the bills in his triplefold leather wallet soaked through. He arrived just in time to witness the awning that normally sheds water pretty well to have a huge bulge along it's entire 21' length, snap the brackets, come down with enough force to bend the rods in the actuator tubes, and hit the edge of a frameless window.

Awning repair: New brackets for $950 plus labor to mount existing roller tube, fabric, and lights.

Window repair: Estimate is for $500 for the single piece of glass that serves as a transom window over the co-pilot's sliding window. Temporary fix is a smoked piece of 1/4" plexiglass meticulously cut to fit and reverse match the driver side window, sealed with windshield adhesive/caulk......looks so much like the original glass that he may decide to just live with it.

Re-enforced the rule of never leaving an awning out as the weather can sneak up on you.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #9

Not so pleasant

One of the girls in my office had her mom stop in and we were talking. She told me that they went to a camp ground and she decided to help set up. She hooked up the water hose to the black tank rinse and opened the valve thinking it was the fresh water feed. Let’s just say that they just did get the awning and chairs out before the tank that had not been cleaned from the last outing was I assume coming from every where.
Jpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
You don’t need to give “your friends” name, just a description to help others avoid.
I guess it's the "Like Mother, Like Son" scenario for us.

I thought I could maneuver my motorhome into position with the door opened and steps out. Only thing was, I forgot about those pesky wood campsite stobs. They don't move out of the way and will bend your steps if one comes into contact with your steps.

My Mom was trying to do the same thing, but at her house. She had her little class C parked almost perfect but then wanted to move a tad bit closer to the edge of the driveway. On a positive note,, she did find out that the corner pole of her RV port is fairly robust!

If you'll notice, I didn't give out any names.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Expat View Post
Broke "his" own cardinal rule and left the awning out when he took the motorcycle into town to witness all the debauchery of Bike Week in Ocean City. A few hours later, he was the only biker not huddled under a gas station awning or overpass as the worse rain he ever experienced on the bike came down. He headed back to the RV with his boots literally filled with water and even the bills in his triplefold leather wallet soaked through. He arrived just in time to witness the awning that normally sheds water pretty well to have a huge bulge along it's entire 21' length, snap the brackets, come down with enough force to bend the rods in the actuator tubes, and hit the edge of a frameless window.

Awning repair: New brackets for $950 plus labor to mount existing roller tube, fabric, and lights.

Window repair: Estimate is for $500 for the single piece of glass that serves as a transom window over the co-pilot's sliding window. Temporary fix is a smoked piece of 1/4" plexiglass meticulously cut to fit and reverse match the driver side window, sealed with windshield adhesive/caulk......looks so much like the original glass that he may decide to just live with it.

Re-enforced the rule of never leaving an awning out as the weather can sneak up on you.
Unwritten law number two. Never put up an awning level. If you would have angled the awing to one side, the water would have shed off, and not broken due to weight. It wont help with wind. Newer style awnings are designed with a breakaway spring in one end if the weight builds up. The old style with the side brackets are the ones in danger.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:53 PM   #12

We were pulling into a Walmart for the night with two 40 rvs pulling tow cars. We scoped out spot at the end of the parking lot that we both would fit. Just as we are about to get to the spot, this other uncourteous rv comes flying in at double speed from the side, wheels it around right where we are headed. He then backs into the end blocking the space so two of us wont fit. Wouldn't you know it, karma came around and kicked him right in the rump. In his haste to be a jerk, he backed right into a concrete light standard. My sympathy for him wasn't too great. Moral of this story, don't be a jerk.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #13

My “Friend” having to return from AZ to northern Utah in February, pushed into Kanab, Utah during one of the biggest storms in years, heavy rain all day that had turned into heavy blowing snow. Quickly pulling into a spot, he’d chalked the fiver, and ran down the landing gear then unhooked the goosebox connection and disconnected harness and chains. Upon pulling forward with the truck, he discovered there was a huge puddle outside his truck door, so he backed up a bit, then hopped out and ran around the front of the truck instead of the normal behind truck, check clearance, and close tailgate routine. Huddling under the basement hatch out of the weather, he hit autolevel. It’s amazing how quickly the bottom of the goosebox settled down on the outer edge of the tailgate, and even more amazing that the tailgate supported the full pin weight of the trailer without getting damaged.

Of course having had a career in aviation where working outside in all sorts of weather, and sticking to checklists and routines is the only way go, I personally would never get boneheaded just because of a little weather like that.....
Old 09-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Unhooking the tow car on a slight incline, that “my friend” failed to notice and failed to put the tow car in park. Turning his back to the car while securing the tow bar, he turned around to find the tow car gone. Ops. There goes the tow car.

Tags
rving