Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
What Batteries To Get?

I bought my 37' dp Harney Coachworks (1999) last year. It has four batteries in it, marine, I think. They were not too good last year and seem like they are going to be a big problem this year, so I want to buy four new ones. Can anyone provide recommendations? What prices am I looking at? Thank you very much.

Tivoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Voltage - 6 or 12? Wet, Sealed, AGM preference? Space available?

Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do a lot of boondocking marine batteries will not last as long as True Deep Cycle batteries. If your alway connected to shore power it doesn't really matter. In my opinion the best bang for your buck is 6V GC-2 batteries. With four of them you would connect them in series/parallel. Costco is now selling Interstate batteries. The have the GC-2 batteries for $83.45 each at my local store. They are rated at 208 AH @ the 20 hr rate. With four connected in series/parallel you would have 416 AH for less then $400. If you don't like adding water to them, you can install the Flowrite battery watering system as I did.

Interstate Batteries Golf Detail Page - Interstate GC2-RD-UTL 6-Volt Golf Car Battery replacement battery
Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:36 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I am confused, tho. I have 4 -12 volt batteries now. Looks like 3 are marine deep cycle. One is a little smaller. Two marines are house batteries, and the other two are chassis batteries.
So, will 4 6v replace the 4 12 v?
If I go with 12 volt, do I get 2 deep cycle for the house side and 2 auto batteries for the chassis? Or, do I get all the same? I see some AGMs for around $170. Is it worthwhile to buy 4 of these? Would they be ok for both chassis and house or do I need to get different types of battery pairs for each purpose?
Thank you again.
Tivoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
For all you will need to know about the 12 volt stuff there is The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Excellent batteries and a place to start looking at
Marine / Recreational Vehicle MR | Trojan Battery Company
For the 6 volt use the. T-105's the 12 volt the SCS-150's.

Batteries always seem to take a dump at the first warming weather or at the first cooling weather. Never did know why.

You asked about the house batteries so that's where. I'll start. You may not have room to replace the two 12's with four 6's. Go with 12 bolt deep cycle. Batteries are designated by Group Size so a Group 24 is going to be the same size across all brands. Same with the GC-2 in the 6 volt. After you look through the 12 Volt Side of Life you will understand why you need four 6v to replace the two 12v. Troja's site give the external dimensions.

If you always go for hookups I would go to Costco or the Arkansas based China goods store and buy there house brand. Lots of people go this route with success. Just get true deep cycle, not marine, 12 volt and drop them in. If you boondock lots go the 6 volt route if you can. Remember that wiring the 6's is different. That's covered in the first link.

For the starting batteries look for the Cold Cranking Amps or CCA. The higher the CCA the more reserve you have when the diesel wakes up cold and cranky and needs a little bit bigger boot in the butt to get it going.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:58 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chassis batteries should be automotive type, 12 volts, unless you drive in freezing weather you can also use Marine or MARINE/deep cycle, these are all starting batteries.

House batteries should be DEEP CYCLE, not MARINE/deep cycle. OF these the best Bang for your Buck is the six volt GC-2.

You put two of them in series like this---Bat=ery++++ 12 volt

There are no six volt batteries in RVs..Just 12volt that are 2pieces
(OK,so they were six volt before you installed the jumper represented by the equals sign above. but once that is inplace..2 sixes magically become on big 12.....If you want a size 4D)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
Starting batteries that are rated at MCA (marine cranking amps ) are just regular starting batteries that are rated at 32 degrees, instead of 0 degrees.

The higher the temperature the more cranking amps a battery can supply.

Most boats are not used in below 32 degree waters.

Deep cycle batteries can start engines and most will give you a CCA ( cold cranking ) rating , but a true deep cycle battery will use a AH (amp hour ) rating, first, in their specifications.

Happy shopping

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote