Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We chose American Coach for many of the same reasons THeman did. We looked at them all. Dutch Star 4018, Entegra 44B and the 42G in the American Coach line were our final 3.
We chose our AC Tradition because it had the best floor plan for us. The goofy half bath door in the 4018 and the lack of space the 44B had closed up ruled those out. Plus we got one &@$? of a deal on our AC. Very happy with our decision.
While I agree that Newell is perhaps the finest coach built, search my post for my comments on my dads Newell. Any coach will have repair and upgrade cost, just know that those repairs on a Newell cost more. His is a 2006 and in the past 6 months he has spent almost $30,000 in repairs and upgrades.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #30

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
While I agree that Newell is perhaps the finest coach built, search my post for my comments on my dads Newell. Any coach will have repair and upgrade cost, just know that those repairs on a Newell cost more. His is a 2006 and in the past 6 months he has spent almost $30,000 in repairs and upgrades.
Very true, Our coach was a "repo", bought at auction so We knew that there was going to be a lot of updates and maintenance issues (tires,brakes batteries & electronics) that weren't up to snuff.
By the time We get everything where We want it will have an additional $30k invested but even then will still be at or near low book for value.

The higher the quality the coach the higher the maintenance costs due to the fact that the components are of higher quality as opposed to "lowest bidder".
Happy Trails
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:33 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
This is one sweet Coach ! 2008 Country Coach Rhapsody For Sale in Corpus Christi, Texas
Old 03-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #32

Start with Newell Used through the factory. Pre-Owned Coaches: Where Luxury and Savings Meet - Newell Coach Look at the videos and then if you are interested contact the sales staff. Newell is certainly in the top premier category Exactly the same for Foretravel Foretravel Motorcoach - Available Coaches Foretravel inventory is probably larger. The Newell factory has a good list of qualified potential buyers but they tend to have some pretty specific "wants".
Old 03-29-2017, 10:59 PM   #33

Thanks for all the replies. We have been looking hard at all of our options. We have decided that when it comes to quality, room, HP/towing, looks, and value the Renegade Ikon can't be beat. I am nearly 7ft tall so the head room is a big deal for us, and the Renegade has that. Also it offers the biggest shower in it's category.
Yogi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:04 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Well go for it Yogi! Yabba dabba doo!

RV'ing and being 7 Ft Tall is a tough deal
MonacoWind96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:08 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Those truck chassis models are nice, solid running rigs.

And when it comes to maintenance. It's a standard freightliner chassis that is mass produced along numerous product lines... which makes it easy to service.

My Monaco on the other hand, although it's a bulletproof driveline configuration plus everything is mechanical...... your front engine configuration is still ideal.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:10 AM   #36

Freightliner Owners Club
Just purchased a Newmar (new) and I am very impressed with the quality, fit and finsh. Just my 2 cents.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoWind96 View Post
Those truck chassis models are nice, solid running rigs.

And when it comes to maintenance. It's a standard freightliner chassis that is mass produced along numerous product lines... which makes it easy to service.

My Monaco on the other hand, although it's a bulletproof driveline configuration plus everything is mechanical...... your front engine configuration is still ideal.
If it's a Volvo truck, it's a Volvo chassis. Same hold for any other brand of truck.
It's only a freightliner chassis if it is on a freightliner truck.

Yogi88, glad you found what you were looking for, and best of luck with it when you purchase it. They make some sweet RVs..
Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, whichever one you got then :-)
Old 03-30-2017, 03:22 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi88 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. We have been looking hard at all of our options. We have decided that when it comes to quality, room, HP/towing, looks, and value the Renegade Ikon can't be beat. I am nearly 7ft tall so the head room is a big deal for us, and the Renegade has that. Also it offers the biggest shower in it's category.
Congratulationson you decision! Make sure to post some picture's of it when you can........
On a side note, be aware there are a lot of nice resorts that do not allow those in.............their rules. Be pepaired.........you will run into this........
Old 03-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #40

If an RV resort won't let me in with a half million dollar rig, I wouldn't enjoy myself there anyway.
Yogi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #41

OP - Congrats on being in a phase in your lives, and well positioned, to set off on the next chapter!

Your question was pretty wide open! And lots of opinions with such openness that may not have any bearing on what the two of you personally want.

So staying on the them of helping you spend you $500K (And understand you have other reserves, so this is for the coach itself. Assume not for a toad, and the other misc $2-4K of getting things set up for tow.)

>I personally prefer under 45' coaches, due to in our state of domicile not needing a special drivers license. And also due to overall size.

>My sweet spot in size would be 42-43'.

>Contradicting that last statement. My 1st preferred coach in that price range would be a 40' Prevost XL based two slide coach. I like the Marathon's, but other fine custom builders exits that might fit your desires on what a coach should be. I would shop interior match to your's and the DW's personal tastes first. Yes maintenance and condition are important, but I would probably never get past the first screening of a coach that did not fit the solid B - A grade in condition and maintenance department. I'd just keep on looking. Miles don't really bother me to much, even up to 150K, if the maintenance and condition support the proper care of the coach. That being said, the last I looked helping a friend four months ago, I found several two slide Marathon's in the $400-600K range that were 45' (His target price range, and he wanted 45'.) Does not seem to be as many 40', and that sometimes makes their used prices a bit higher.

And even with the $500K budget. I'd probably target $400-450K range. Leaving some reserves to handle any customization to make it 'our coach', any catch up on the maintenance is due now, and I'd probably pony up for the best Extended Warranty I could find.

>If not a Prevost based unit. Then yes add me to the Country Coach (Intriguem Magna or Affinity models. But only if the Intrigue had the optional BIG BLOCK CAT. (Like our 40' Allure, has treated us well. But do believe BIG BLOCK engines are the way to go in these size coaches.), Newmar (Mountain Aire and above (And not blaming the Dutch Star but don't believe they ever get above the ISL size engine.)), Monaco (Executive or Signature (And their Holiday Rambler counter parts.)), Foretravel (U320, Nimbus, Phoenix and if your timing is long enough, maybe a used Realm).

Suggest you and the wife go kick many tires. Decide on length, and number of slides. (We're a two slide drivers side only, with non plumbing in the slide. With deep slide on the front living quarters. But that is for our current preference and some favorite locations where width of coach is more a factor then length of coach.) Start writing downs lists of Must Have's and Nice to Have's. Chassis Mechanical section and Interior section. Keep looking some more, and this will will start to narrow down your choices to a few manufactures and models that you both like, and score well against your Must and Nice to have lists. Then take your time and go shopping.

Please note that I feel American Coach, Beaver (Patriot Thunder and Marquis), Travel Supreme are fine coaches. Only American Coach remains as a factor in the price points your looking at. We liked the mechanics of the upper end American Coach, but the interiors did not float our boat.

And another thing to keep in the back of your mind as you two start looking over coaches. And since you may have a little more reserves stashed off to the side that could be reallocated if you both feel it worth doing so. Newmar will still make some modifications to standard models on factory orders. So again contradicting myself some, perhaps a Dutch Star with ISL450 in under 45' models - but customized to the specific that the two of you may like - could pencil out for you. New, factor delivery (And do the factory delivery if buying a new Newmar.) having a warranty - and again, sitting down and ordering and adjusting as you can to your desires, could possibly allow you to buy 'Your last coach first!'... (The epic dream of RV owners!).

Last comment. As time goes by and you two get closer. Add more meat to your wide open question. We want XX length. We want 1 1/2 baths. We want 4 slides. We want... provide more info, and many on this board have the experience (Well, we all have the opinions!) to provide you with more finite feedback.

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #42

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoWind96 View Post
Go use; sometimes only 1 year old , buy the same thing for 50% off

So many times you'll see a husband and wife buy a $500,000 motorhome, and then unfortunately one gets ill and I have to sell it. It's an unfortunate truth that you may be able to find a brand new motorhome with 5000 miles on it that you could pick up for 50% to 70% off MSRP
Bought the Magna in late Feb, 2015. On April 30th late DW was terminated due to her poor health and unable to work, June 13th 2015 she was diagnosed with liver cancer. She died August 21, 2016.
BUT I'm NOT selling the MH, don't need to and don't want to.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote