Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
What Cap is this?

I have a Generac 5500 Generator in my 1999 National Dolphin. I have a question.
If you are looking at the Generator, there is the oil filler cap and the oil drain cap on the left side of the Generator

If you look on the right side of the Generator, there is also an oil cap that is the same color (yellow) as the oil filler cap.

Question: Is oil supposed to go into the cap on the right side?

What is the cap on the right side used for?

Thanks.. I'm going crazy because I have never put oil in it and hope that I don't screw something up if there is supposed to be oil in it.

Dave

Can't get the pic to come over. Sorry.
yn1bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #2

The other cap is just another way to add oil.
I add oil in the right cap, while checking it in the dipstick cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1468958030821.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	133611  
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:39 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
What Cap is This?

Thank you for your reply. I just knew that this would break something if I didn't put oil in it.
Now I feel a little more at ease.

If I have an oil leak and it looks as though it is leaking in the rear of the unit, what would be leaking?

How hard is it to move the generator out to get to the rear of the unit to see if I could find the leak and get it repaired? Or should I just take it to a mechanic that would repair it?

Thanks again for your answer.
yn1bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I took our generac out of our old gulf stream a few times. Ours also had an oil leak but I could never pin point it. I would just add more or change it. Although it leaked and I went through two starter motors, the thing ran to right around 8000 hours. To tell you the truth, I plain old abused the thing and it just kept going! If it wasnt for the oil leak, it was a great gen. four bolts, a fuel line and a couple electrical connections and its out. The hardest part if lifting it or dropping it out. Ours lifted out and I simply used some wood blocks, a floor jack and believe it or not, my kids little red wagon was the perfect height to slide it out on to and then I could roll it around and service it right on the wagon.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #5

The oil cooler lines are a common source of oil leakage. I had mine replaced last year. I also didn't realize that a valve adjustment is required every number of hours.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote