Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What caulking to use

Hi I plan to recaulk the seam and molding where the roof meets the sidewall. Is there a specific kind of caulk for that application? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #2

I'd forget the caulk and get some Eternabond tape. It's perfect for that. If you're determined to use caulk, you'll want the Dicor self-leveling caulk.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I'd forget the caulk and get some Eternabond tape. It's perfect for that. If you're determined to use caulk, you'll want the Dicor self-leveling caulk.
Would really use eternabond tape or Dicor self leveling on the sidewall? I thought that was for the roof on flat areas, like aroung the A/C units and other things that go through the roof.
This seam and molding is about 6-8 inches below the roof on the sidewall and from the top to the bottom of the sidewall where front and rear cap attach to the sides of the motorhome.
I don't think I would like the look of that coming down the side of the motorhome.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

do you have the rubber roof? if you do use dicor epdm Dicor RV EPDM Rubber Roof System Lap Sealants Self Leveling | eBay
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on the roof material and the exact location of the seam. EPDM rubber roofs need a caulk that is compatible with EPDM. Dicor EPDM Lap Sealant is probably the best choice and most widely available, but Alpha Systems makes a good one too. If the surface is horizontal, use the self-leveling type. If part of it is sloped, don't use self-leveling - it will run. The EPDM caulk will work fine on TPO or fiberglass roofs too.

Eternabond usually requires that you remove most of the old caulk to get a good seal and a nice smooth-looking job (if it is visible). Works great if you do that, though. And if the surface does not have any compound curves.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
GE Silicone II.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

I have found the Proflex sealant/adhesive to be very good and holds the longest on my Winnebago. I bought it at Camping World.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Do NOT use silicone on the roof. Silicone will crack and will not move when it needs to while you go down the road.

Most end up going with a marine 3M product like 3M5000 or Eternabond tape. We ended up going with a caulking from Teakdecking Systems, SIS 440. Remember to clean the area REAL well before putting caulking or Eternabond on.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For the molding that joins the roof to the sidewall, I've had really good luck with Geocell Proflex RV. It's available at Camping World and many RV supply stores and many RV sales and repair places.

IMHO, Silicone is absolutely the wrong thing to use. First, it renders anything that it comes in contact with unpaintable in the future. Second, it does not 'latch' into the material the way Geocell does. Silicone sticks onto the surface, which leads to hard to explain leakages down the road.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #10

I agree with Proflex I have used both the caulk and the container. This year I couldn't get white so I picked up the Geocel by Proflex and found it easier to use. I have found that Proflex is much easier to use and the container is self-leveling for the seams. You can apply it both wet or dry and I have found that for best results use at temps above 60.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #11

3M Marine 4000 UV. Put it on previous MH roof to side joint. It lasted 5 years and was still in great shape when I traded last year. $20.00 per 10 oz cartridge (5 years ago). West Marine carries it.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Do NOT use silicone on the roof. Silicone will crack and will not move when it needs to while you go down the road.

Most end up going with a marine 3M product like 3M5000 or Eternabond tape. We ended up going with a caulking from Teakdecking Systems, SIS 440. Remember to clean the area REAL well before putting caulking or Eternabond on.
Are you talking about this stuff?

Marine Fast Cure 5200 Adhesive Sealant :3M US

It is great for a seam that is never ever in this lifetime going to come apart, but as a former Yachtie, I wouldnt recommend it. It is impossible to separate the joined surfaces without destroying them.

Marine Fast Cure 4200 Adhesive Sealant :3M US

Note the part where it says it can be disassembled.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
TGR

I always call the manufacturer to see what they recommend. Next step would be to call the manufacturer of the roof material.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen people use both. That's why I said something like the 3M5000 partly cause I could not correctly remember the other number, lol.
We went to a marine supply store to pick up the stuff from Teak Decking We asked them there which they preferred to work on stuff, the 3M or the Teak Decking. They said without question the Teak Decking. They had both 3M's and the Teak Decking there, the 3M was more expensive and you might think they would say the more expensive but they did not. Thom actually used to work for TD about 8 or 9 years ago. He knows the guy that came up with the caulking for them. It's caulking that's used on ships/boats like The Queen Mary and the Disney cruise ships.