Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
What color is it?

This week several people have ask me if I knew the paint colors on their motorhomes so I thought I would explain what to do if you don't know what colors are on your motorhome and you would like to know.

First, you can always contact the manufacturer but I have noticed that even in doing this you may end up with the wrong colors since most companies don't keep good track of that information. Also with so many orphan coaches this might not be a possibility.

If this is the case there is another way to get the exact match. It's call a "chromavision" camera and most companies that sell or use Dupont paint will likely have one or know how to get their hands on one. If you ask really nice they will usually be willing to bring it to your location (providing it's not too far away) and take pictures of your motorhomes colors. These then get processed and you should be able to get the Factory codes and Dupont codes for those colors. This way if something happens to the motorhome or you just need touch-up bottles made, you can go anywhere and be prepared with the information. Also makes you look like you know what your talking about if you need repair work done.

Once you have your codes you should store them with your important papers in the motorhome for future reference. This way you can have the paint made anywhere you are since paint can NOT be shipped in the mail.

This is not to promote Dupont. What chromavision does is also give you the "Factory" (car) code so that you can have your paint made in any brand you want (Sherwin, PPG, BASF, etc.)

This camera is not a new invention but many people just don't know it's available. Also it is not completely accurate in every case but we have used it for years to color match and it's accurate 98% of the time.

Lastly, anyone looking to buy a new/old motorhome should make a point of asking for the "Factory" codes for the paint design and be sure to get touch-up bottles from the dealer to save yourself the headache when something gets scratched. Once your on the road and you need them you will be glad you took the time to do it. (also handy if someone asks you what color is it?)
"I love what I do and it shows."
M Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

codes, factory, paint, touch-up