Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #1
What Constitutes a Luxury RV?

I noticed that some manufacturers refer to some of their models as "Luxury RV's" while not using that designation on their other models. For example, Newmar does not refer to a Dutch Star as being luxury, but it still has an MSRP when loaded up of close to $400,000.

So kind and gentle readers (gotta quit reading Miss Manners), what constitutes a "Luxury RV?"

2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
Taxman...I could not really define a luxury RV in terms of what it cost to buy... I am still defining projects to turn my rolling bicycle platform into the best locker room I can own. But I have watched a few episodes of "MEGA RV" on the travel Channel....and there are some other RV shows out there....hmmmmmm.... there are some really awesome rolling live-in homes out there. If you can dream it they can place appliances in it.

Craig Gosselin
1994 Fleetwood 33H
1995 Fleetwood 30H (parts vehicle)
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
Everyone's Rv is a Luxury,if you think about it.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Entegra Owners Club
A luxury RV is whatever somebody says it is. There is no official definition. One man's luxury is another man's squalor <G>.
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
To me it means going from a tent to a new pop-up that was...a Luxury RV upgrade. Going from a PUP to a new hybrid tt was Luxury RV upgrade again.

I think each person has a satisfaction point they can dream about and hope to afford one day. To some of us, affording a new 20k RV would be the same as a well off person buying that 500k coach. My wife keeps saying we'll go back to the tent again some day. I think she is losing it?
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #7

A luxury RV is one that makes you feel happy everytime you use it.

Not to be confused with expensive RVs!!
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
Our RV does indeed feel like luxury compared to the tents we used to use but that doesn't answer your question or make it a luxury coach.

I think it is the materials used. The type of leather, marble, granite etc. That sort of thing.
1998 Bounder 36s V10 F53
ohhwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
In Newmar's case, luxury = High Line service. Service is more accommodating to the owner, more personalized, some more service perks, etc., all at a higher price initially.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #10
A "luxury" RV is one that gets me from the house to a destination of which I choose to spend a weekend or week away from the grind of having to continue to work. Sitting on the lake, relaxing, and just unwinding is the "luxury" in RV's.
2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T
Traveling with Westies, Max, Ellie and new addition Sophie.
bobbyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The one that YOU own!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #12
Actually a Luxury RV would be like the Mercedes of RVs. They have real wood, high quality flooring, carpeting and marble countertops. I like household appliances also, cheaper but last as long with more refridge space, oven space and 4 burner stovetop as we cook for a lot of people when we go. (10) grandchildren and I have 6, my wife 7 siblings. My biggest requirement for a MH or RV is at least a Queen size innerspring mattress of the best quality. If Momma ain't rested, everyone suffers for it. A Luxury is when they back everything up, even 10 years after you buy it. Fit and finsish should be, on all MHs and RVs top quality with no flaws. Unfortunately too many try to skim.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor
Overland Owners Club
Originally Posted by Pilatus View Post
Everyone's Rv is a Luxury,if you think about it.

It's all a point of reference or point of view. If you're in a tent, the pop-up looks pretty luxurious...
Don & Anita Sweger
98 Overland Larado 4141SO
41' 325hp Cummins C8.3 Nicknamed "Lola"
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
Vintage RV Owners Club
One that comes with its own pit crew and driver?

87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote