Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Have you even dropped in and done a quick walkthrough on the coach?
That would be a prerequisite for me even bothering the seller with questions.
In the past 3 years, we've been in the coach several times. Within the last 6 months I've looked over the roof condition.

Of course this motorhome isn't our only option, and I should think the owner would be happy for us to be considering their RV.

Since this coach has been inactive, and sitting outside in the weather for perhaps nearly 6 years, it would have to be inspected fully before I'd make an offer, and it's going to be on the owner/dealership to motivate me to go that far.
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with others. This MH is either way overpriced and the seller is not motivated to sell it, or there is an expensive problem. Making a low ball offer is smart but subject to an inspection. You may have found a jewel or a dud.

Good luck with your search.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
The seller must be holding out for a certain price and won't budge. They obviously are not hurting for money
I'm thinking just the opposite. They may be completely upside-down on a loan and have no available funds to make up the difference to get it sold for it's current value vs the loan they would have to pay off.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #18

This may be a good deal if you really want the coach. Are you interested because you like the floor plan and your previous cursory inspection makes it appealing. Or are you thinking you can get a great deal and are going to live with it if you can?
If the former you can get a feeling for the coach by spending 30 minutes and doing a quick inspection. Does the eng and gen start. Do the toilets flush, water pump work, refrig work, propane work, furnace work, AC work, sides work, awning work, any noticeable leaks, etc. You already checked the roof, so it must be OK.

Doing this quick inspection shouldn't take very long and will give you the impression on whether you should continue.

I would get a chassis inspection and house inspection even if you decide it's in acceptable condition and make it a contingency of any offer. You don't know the state of mind of the seller, so trying to guess is a waste of time.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
I'm thinking just the opposite. They may be completely upside-down on a loan and have no available funds to make up the difference to get it sold for it's current value vs the loan they would have to pay off.
The owner and/or southern Puget Sound dealership has always maintained the same 122K asking price over the years(at least 3 anyway). So, I guess the possibilities are broad.

Perhaps it was one of the dealership owner's parents motorhome, who passed away, leaving the well-optioned RV to him. The enterprising lad saw it for what it is; a magnet to their collection of used RVs. He put it on the lot, set the price high, didn't bother renewing the registration and hasn't given thought to responding to my email in the last 5+ hours.

We'll see what real story is. I'll call them shortly.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
This may be a good deal if you really want the coach. Are you interested because you like the floor plan and your previous cursory inspection makes it appealing. Or are you thinking you can get a great deal and are going to live with it if you can?
If the former you can get a feeling for the coach by spending 30 minutes and doing a quick inspection. ...Snip...
Thanks Tim.

Happens I used to be in Tampa, affiliated with some jets that were there.

We would have bought wheeling it's HR, had our View sold quickly enough. Not solely because it was a good deal(which it certainly was) but mostly because we find the floor plan and base HR package on point for what we're after, should we go with a coach that old. Would also go with a newer Newmar or Tiffin and we'll see which wins out. Floor plan and the deal are both important to us. We could easily be selling again in a year or two.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #21

Sounds like you got a handle on this. Let us know how it turns out.
I took a different approach. We bought our first coach last. Never had an RV before, did the research and couldn't be happier. If we do buy another RV, it will be a 5th wheel which we'll plant somewhere we loved visiting while using our current DP.
Good luck.

I'm a retired AA pilot.
Both sold
Old 06-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #22

Quote:
I took a different approach. We bought our first coach last. Never had an RV before, did the research and couldn't be happier. If we do buy another RV, it will be a 5th wheel which we'll plant somewhere we loved visiting while using our current DP.
Good luck.

I'm a retired AA pilot.
Retired USAF here. Really liked my time in Tampa, back then.

My approach has always served the focus of my ever changing lifestyle.
Have 3 Hilleberg tents left over from exploring the world on foot, etc.
Had something small and light in the southwest for staying close to the wilds.
After landing in a place we highly enjoy we picked up the Sprinter.
Now that parents are at "that age", we're going full-time, and think I'll need a rolling project that I can sell for close to what we paid (I like the challenge). Did that with the 2017 Sprinter.
Once this stage has passed, who knows! I haven't gotten rid of those tents just yet.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Good luck.

I'm a retired AA pilot.
I agree.

If it passes the "sniff test" and isn't foul with rot, it could be ripe for a ridiculously lowball offer.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #24

Holy smokes the far fetched scenario I came up with in jest, is accurate in several ways. Here's what I learned...

1) The owner of the lot doesn't charge the person, as they do most everyone else, to keep the RV there because it's a magnet for their lot. (not as much as it used to be)
2) I'm told the owner thinks he can get the high asking price based on the low mileage, so it's not so much tied to what they owe, because this would decrease over time. This may have been fine when it was newer.
3) 109k is what I'm told is the lowest this person will take, putting it still very high for a neglected RV.
4) I'm told they were given a 89k offer (not sure when) and the owner gave the dealer an earful.

Just for kicks, I might determine what the market value is for a pristine coach of the year/model, and itemize deductions based on what work is needed because of it sitting for 6 years, and submit an offer.
Tires, batteries, fluids, resealing, servicing, complete inspection (with anything found also to be deducted from the offer). Once they have a demonstrated fair offer, maybe they'd respond favorably.

Otherwise this Endeavor will continue to be the sacrificial lamb for the dealer. Sadly for the dealer, their inventory is nothing of interest for those drawn by the Holiday Rambler.
They'd be better served by updating an overpriced lot queen to something which better matches what they offer. ...but that's the marketing guy in me talking.

Thanks for the insight all!
Old 06-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #25

My experience may help. I bought a 40' boat from a guy who had it overpriced for I think 3 years. Finally he realized with prodding from the broker that it's loosing value every day it sits. I bought it for pretty much what the going price is for that boat, but the boat had sat for awhile and it took the seller several months and several thousand dollars to get it running right. It took me, the buyer 3 years to get it running right and that included an engine change.

Boats are different that RV's so my experience is not the same, but sitting for long periods does no go for anything mechanical.
Both sold
Old 06-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #26

Quote:
My experience may help. I bought a 40' boat from a guy who had it overpriced for I think 3 years. Finally he realized with prodding from the broker that it's loosing value every day it sits. I bought it for pretty much what the going price is for that boat, but the boat had sat for awhile and it took the seller several months and several thousand dollars to get it running right. It took me, the buyer 3 years to get it running right and that included an engine change.

Boats are different that RV's so my experience is not the same, but sitting for long periods does no go for anything mechanical.
Yeah, unless I could get it for far less than market value for an average condition Endeavor, I wouldn't consider it. A fairly rare coach, but a rough one since it's been sitting for 3 plus years.