Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

Question What did you look for when buying your first DP

We spent months on here reading about what to consider before buying our first MH.

We decided to buy a gas unit (lower $) to see if we enjoyed it. Took some short trips then took a 6 week 5000 mile trip.

We found that we LOVED it but 1 AC unit in Az stinks . We don't like staying in one place very long. So "traveling comfort" is big on our new list.

What things did you look for and research before buying your first DP?
Sasquatch 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My opinion.....

Become familiar with the different engines, and which ones may have known problems.

I would also pay attention to which transmission is used. For example an Allison 3000 vs 2500. The smaller one may not have enough capacity, depending on the coach
Old 04-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
My opinion.....

Become familiar with the different engines, and which ones may have known problems.

I would also pay attention to which transmission is used. For example an Allison 3000 vs 2500. The smaller one may not have enough capacity, depending on the coach
I've been reading about the DEF years and the engine years that bent valves but never considered researching transmissions.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #4

I followed the forums here for over 6 months. Then looked for a quality brand that had a good floor plan and wasn’t trashed like a rock star bus. Ended up with an 02 American Eagle. Only things I wish it had now would be a 1/2 bath and a full bathroom behind the bedroom. We full time.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello.

Everybody's wants and needs are different. I would spend a lot of time at dealer lots looking at different DP's and start making a list of your "must haves" and "that would be nice" things.

I would start by deciding on a budget figure. Then you can go to RVTrader.com and do a search based on that to see what is out there.

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #6

What size are you thinking of and what's your budget ??
That will narrow down the question some.

Read, read, read, ask and read some more. I've felt so stupid at times because I've PM'd someone with a question about something and I've had to google something(s) in their answer to understand what they are telling me. I'm a certified auto mechanic with a background in diesels so I feel I should understand more but RV's are a whole different animal.

As far as engine I lean towards Cummins as they are more rebuildable without pulling the engine out like a CAT. But that's thinking of worst case.
Having an Aqua-Hot or similar system of engine preheating, hot water and coach heating is really nice.
Service records. I have records on repairs, any maintenance including oil and spark plug changes on my riding mower, cars, boat, ... if it has an engine I have a word document with date, complaint, repair, part #'s used and cost even if I did it myself in the middle of the yard. I can't believe how many sellers don't have any records. To me that's a big negative as you have no idea if they were just sloppy record keepers or didn't have stuff done. Seeing as how expensive labor and parts are for someone to climb in or down to work on your engine/trans/P.S./Air pump/Hydraulics to me it's critical I can track how they've been maintained . . . or haven't.
Full set of original owners manuals, coach, frame, appliances and accessories and options. An engine service manual would be nice even if you don't understand it as you might break down where the mechanic needs it and doesn't have access to one.
Depending on your use I'd like it to come with a good expandable solar system. I'd like to run the generator as little as necessary.
I would prefer a residential refrigerator as my GF is challenged and should a nightmare LP fridge fire erupt in the middle of the night I wouldn't want to count on trying to get her out an escape window.
As much as I like a separate toilet area my GF wants to go and then wash without touching anything like a door knob. Happy wife, happy life.

Realistically if you like the coaches layout and everything seems OK the safe bet is to get a professional inspection.
My 2 cents
Old 04-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We went from tents, to a box, to a 5er, to a MH. The way we picked the MH, I had particulars and DW had particulars. Our minimums; I wanted DP 350HP or greater, plenty of water, fuel, and A/C capacity. Also, no propane.
DW wanted king size bed and 1.5 bathroom with accessibly on the road without moving slide outs.

Wanted quality, so read these forums, asked questions, and started looking at floor plans next along with price points. Of course we had a Ram dually diesel and the 5er as trade in.

After looking and driving a couple, landed on a 2017 (Aug2016 born on date) Tiffin Phaeton on the lot. They came down about 26% plus gave us above value on the truck and 5er. Couldn’t pass it up and been happy since.

Sure, had to take it back to them for the punch list fixes, and been to Red Bay twice, but all were minor issues. Both dealer and Red Bay bent over backwards accommodating our needs. We’ve been pleased with our search, find, and afterwards results.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #8

Sorry, I guess I should have asked right away, new or used.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
Sorry, I guess I should have asked right away, new or used.
We are looking at no more then 40' to get into the places we enjoy and used because of our price point.

What I determined using payment calculators and the way we like to move around a lot, payments on 120k to 180k will leave us with plenty of fuel funds and leave us able to put routine maintenance dollars away, eat out etc.

I'll get another ESP after having the parking brake go out on the gas burner and seeing the cost of RV repairs but those funds will be for routine stuff.

Our must have item is GREAT air conditioning. One a/c in AZ in the summer was absolutely miserable and we sleep best when cold. The other must have are windows that open at the head of the bed. Sounds strange but never said we were normal
Old 04-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello.

Everybody's wants and needs are different. I would spend a lot of time at dealer lots looking at different DP's and start making a list of your "must haves" and "that would be nice" things.

I would start by deciding on a budget figure. Then you can go to RVTrader.com and do a search based on that to see what is out there.

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Thank you for the welcome from North Mississippi
Old 04-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
We went from tents, to a box, to a 5er, to a MH. The way we picked the MH, I had particulars and DW had particulars. Our minimums; I wanted DP 350HP or greater, plenty of water, fuel, and A/C capacity. Also, no propane.
DW wanted king size bed and 1.5 bathroom with accessibly on the road without moving slide outs.

Wanted quality, so read these forums, asked questions, and started looking at floor plans next along with price points. Of course we had a Ram dually diesel and the 5er as trade in.

After looking and driving a couple, landed on a 2017 (Aug2016 born on date) Tiffin Phaeton on the lot. They came down about 26% plus gave us above value on the truck and 5er. Couldn’t pass it up and been happy since.

Sure, had to take it back to them for the punch list fixes, and been to Red Bay twice, but all were minor issues. Both dealer and Red Bay bent over backwards accommodating our needs. We’ve been pleased with our search, find, and afterwards results.
We both like the Tiffin Phaeton but DW requires access to the head while in motion and I wasn't sure with 4 slides in if she would have her access.

Since we are looking at Tiffins between 2008 - 2014 I'm guessing that I need to focus my research on engines and transmissions combinations to start.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch 2 View Post
We both like the Tiffin Phaeton but DW requires access to the head while in motion and I wasn't sure with 4 slides in if she would have her access.

Since we are looking at Tiffins between 2008 - 2014 I'm guessing that I need to focus my research on engines and transmissions combinations to start.

With our 4 slides in, we can get to the 1/2 bathroom just fine. Ours is a 40QBH.
Our engine is an ISL 380 and tranny is Allison 3000 6speed. No problems pulling a Wrangler in the mountains West or East.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
With our 4 slides in, we can get to the 1/2 bathroom just fine. Ours is a 40QBH.
Our engine is an ISL 380 and tranny is Allison 3000 6speed. No problems pulling a Wrangler in the mountains West or East.
Thanks for the bathroom info DW would be happy which would then make my life MUCH easier.

I'm not sure why yet but we keep looking at the 40QTH though not sure why just yet.

The one thing we didn't like was our dinette and are now looking for the table & individual chairs.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #14

When we went looking for our DP it started with getting back into RVing after some time off. Our original thought was lets get a Class B to travel and stay at Hotels when it gets tight for size. After looking at a few we knew right away that wasn't going to work. Started looking at Class C's but they never really sat well with me as I recall one of our former RV's as a Class C that had two glaring things I didn't like. One was not being able to talk without yelling to each other. The other was the heat from the engine cooked my right leg. So looked at Class A's but again after having a few I could just remember what I didn't like which was about the same as the Class C. We knew this was going to a part thing for us. Basically a way to get from our NY home to our FL home, some summer trips and eventually when we are both retired something to be comfortable in for 4 to 6 weeks at a time. We didn't want to get to deep into one in case we didn't like it. I knew we didn't want to get a big one either. We found a few, one in particular we were just about to pull the trigger on and decided to make a play for one that was not for sale I had been eye balling for a while that ended up being the one we have.

We like this one because it is very high quality and has a large chassis so very easy to handle on the road.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying