Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #1

Unhappy What do we do now?

We had air running and left for several hours. Came back and the air stopped working. We checked ground fault and it was fine. Other electrical things were working. After coming home we found where the wires overheated and melted insulation around the wires. No breakers tripped. No alarms went off. We did not smell anything. How did this not start a fire? And we were sleeping on top of this! Found that the 3rd wire was loose and wonder if that caused this. Until we replace the wiring, we won't know if it was a loose wire that caused it. Wondering if we can just buy the side bar (forget the name of that) and hopefully have enough spare wire to pull it through (remove damaged wire) and reconnect or will we have to buy the entire box? The AC wire will have to be replaced I imagine. I have 2 other photos of this but only see where I can attach one photo. The entire box is over $200. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice? We have not taken it to anyone yet. We are new to this website/forum and not real sure how to navigate yet so I'm hoping we can find any replies to this post without a problem. Thanks. Pam

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, Where did you find these melted wires? in the breaker panel? loose connection could cause this along with over amping the wire size but not meeting the breaker amp. trip size.Was the 3rd wire white that was loose? On the neutral bar?

Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know what you mean by side bar. If it's the bar where the neutral wires (white) are connected it's the neutral bar. Evidently the pictures you have are not posted to your topic. Loose electrical connections are a BIG hazard. It's good to check these at least once a year. Once arcing starts and things get hot it can pave the way for a lot of problems. If you could post the pics even seperately it would be a big help to try and answer your questions but if you're not familiar with electrical wiring I would most definately suggest you have a licensed electrician look at the situation and correct any problems you have.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #4

Here are the photos of rv damage

For those that responded - here are the photos.
I will try to reply to your posts.
Still new and trying to figure out what I am doing in the forum.
Thanks!
Wanted to post this so Julian can research your replies when he gets home from work.
Pam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV DAMAGE.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	31173   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV DAMAGE CLOSEUP.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	31174  

Name:	RV DAMAGE ENTIRE VIEW.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	31175  
Old 12-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #5

Thanks - trying to send you photos

Trying to send you the photos. Please reply if this helps you more with advice.
Pam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV DAMAGE.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	31176   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV DAMAGE CLOSEUP.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	31177  

Name:	RV DAMAGE ENTIRE VIEW.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	31178  
Old 12-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEYA2 View Post
Trying to send you the photos. Please reply if this helps you more with advice.
Pam
It would be really nice if everyone could resize their pictures so that it doesn't take so much time and bandwidth to view them.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
It would be really nice if everyone could resize their pictures so that it doesn't take so much time and bandwidth to view them.
I respectfully have to disagree. These photo's I consider adequate for displaying the problem. Anything smaller and you could see what was going on.

Sorry that I can't help with the solution, but iRV2 are full of qualified people with plenty of knowledge concerning electrical problems. I am certain that someone will be able to assist.

Good luck!

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
It sure looks like you had a bad connection on one or more of the neutral wires and the heating process started and after the process started and the heating got hotter the melting started.It looks like the wiring leaving the box is discolored going out of the box just not by the neutral bar. I surly would check the wiring system out to see just how far this heating problem went and go from there.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #9

Yes it looks like your main neutral wire (white) was loose and then due to the load, overheated and then burnt/melted its insulation and then the insulation of all the wires near. I agree, these set-screw connections need to be checked every year due to vibration of driving. I found 4 of mine loose this year. No fire because it was in a metal box - thank God! A new bar can be bought at Home Depot and an Electrician can splice in new wires. The main neutral looks long enough to cut back and reuse.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #10

Thanks to all

Thanks to all of you who have replied so far. I am sorry about the photo size. I did not realize this put a burden on anyone to view them. What is the best size to make photos? I made them 800x600 in my photo gallery and here with the photo damage photos. I will go back and change my photos to smaller if I need to do that so let me know, okay? I am new and trying to learn how to operate in this website/forum. Thanks for your patience! Pam
Old 12-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #11

I think your photo size is fine. If you seek help, people need to be able to see detail in the photos.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
not a thing wrong with your photos, I even blew them up more so I could see where the problem might of started. The 3 top screws have a rust coating on them in your photos , looks like where the heating problem started.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #13

Thanks so much. I'm having camping withdrawals. Sure hope we can have it up and running by 25 January (reservations)! *sigh*
Old 12-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I don't know what you mean by side bar. If it's the bar where the neutral wires (white) are connected it's the neutral bar. Evidently the pictures you have are not posted to your topic. Loose electrical connections are a BIG hazard. It's good to check these at least once a year. Once arcing starts and things get hot it can pave the way for a lot of problems. If you could post the pics even seperately it would be a big help to try and answer your questions but if you're not familiar with electrical wiring I would most definately suggest you have a licensed electrician look at the situation and correct any problems you have.
I agree that this needs to be looked and repaired by a licensed electrician. One of the neutral wires overheated probably by a loose connection or bad breaker. The heat caused the plastic to melt. I would guess a loose connection. Either way, after testing, the wiring will need to be replaced and a new neutral bar installed.