Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #15
TWV

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
It is exactly this kind of attitude that shows how far RV Service has to go to achieve good customer relations. I have a good chunk of my hard earned savings tied up in that motorhome which is also my full time home and I am already paying you a premium service charge so I should not expect to find grease on my bed or hands prints on my walls or dirt on my carpet. And I certainly don't expect you to say "it is fixed" and 5 minuets down the road I find out it is not.

I will take my rig to service centers that respect and cater to my concerns and I will avoid service centers that have reputations for giving poor customer service. That's why I value the information I get from the people on this and other RV forums. You screw one of them, you can bet you won't see me in your place of business.

I'm sorry if you are offended by these comments but I am retired from a career in customer relations management and know that the RV industry has a long road to hoe till it even comes close to good customer service. And good customer service does not cost an extra $100 an hour.

This is the exact kind of attitude that cause repair centers to not want customers hanging around. If you don't trust them to do the job go else where otherwise stay out of their way and the job will get done faster with likely fewer errors.

TWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWV View Post
This is the exact kind of attitude that cause repair centers to not want customers hanging around. If you don't trust them to do the job go else where otherwise stay out of their way and the job will get done faster with likely fewer errors.
And you trust a stranger to come into your house while you are not there? Really?

Old 09-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
It is exactly this kind of attitude that shows how far RV Service has to go to achieve good customer relations. I have a good chunk of my hard earned savings tied up in that motorhome which is also my full time home and I am already paying you a premium service charge so I should not expect to find grease on my bed or hands prints on my walls or dirt on my carpet. And I certainly don't expect you to say "it is fixed" and 5 minuets down the road I find out it is not.

I will take my rig to service centers that respect and cater to my concerns and I will avoid service centers that have reputations for giving poor customer service. That's why I value the information I get from the people on this and other RV forums. You screw one of them, you can bet you won't see me in your place of business.

I'm sorry if you are offended by these comments but I am retired from a career in customer relations management and know that the RV industry has a long road to hoe till it even comes close to good customer service. And good customer service does not cost an extra $100 an hour.
who ever said his shop would leave greasy fingerprints on your motorhome?? What he said is nothing more than common sense. Would you look over your doctors shoulder while he did surgery on your spouse? Maybe give him a tip or two on what angle to make the incision? Let them do their job and concentrate. With that attitude, you will most likely never be happy. How is he screwing anyone? The last comment was a joke, being around customer service all your life I would think you have seen such comical signs or perhaps the one with the grenade that says "please take a number". Im sure neither of these are posted in his establishment either. What he said about being a good customer makes a lot of sense. The road goes both ways. I for one would never expect to watch my coach being worked on and wouldn't interrupt them. Little tip, when your "that guy", they see you coming and run, you end up the guy that they can't fit in their schedule or are referred to the specialty shop. I talk to service managers and dealers all the time and whats funny is they all know when they get involved with such a customer, they knew from the beginning they should have turned them away. Sometimes its not the quality of service provided but the quality and common sense of the customer that are the issue. Good quality shops are plentiful. Good customers are appreciated and shops bend over backwards and go out of their way for those good folks.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hanging around, getting in the way of a tech or picking his brain, does take time. Time that you inevitably are paying for. Maybe that job that would have only taken an hour instead took an hour and a half or two hours. He doesn't have to charge you 200 an hour, just charge you for the extra time it took.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
who ever said his shop would leave greasy fingerprints on your motorhome?? What he said is nothing more than common sense. Would you look over your doctors shoulder while he did surgery on your spouse? Maybe give him a tip or two on what angle to make the incision? Let them do their job and concentrate. With that attitude, you will most likely never be happy. How is he screwing anyone? The last comment was a joke, being around customer service all your life I would think you have seen such comical signs or perhaps the one with the grenade that says "please take a number". Im sure neither of these are posted in his establishment either. What he said about being a good customer makes a lot of sense. The road goes both ways. I for one would never expect to watch my coach being worked on and wouldn't interrupt them. Little tip, when your "that guy", they see you coming and run, you end up the guy that they can't fit in their schedule or are referred to the specialty shop. I talk to service managers and dealers all the time and whats funny is they all know when they get involved with such a customer, they knew from the beginning they should have turned them away. Sometimes its not the quality of service provided but the quality and common sense of the customer that are the issue. Good quality shops are plentiful. Good customers are appreciated and shops bend over backwards and go out of their way for those good folks.
Sorry, I disagree with everything you said. I said I have had techs leave hand prints and dirt on carpets so that I do have limits to who I can trust in my house.

I have learned a lot from talking to the techs who have worked on my coaches over the years to the point where I can now perform many of the things that they did myself, so now I save a lot of $$. I have always been friendly, courteous and un-intrusive. The techs, seeing my genuine interest, have been very forthcoming, imparting their experience to me so that I can avoid problems going forward. None have ever "run" away. I also get knowledge of which techs I can trust and go back to and which to avoid. I respect the RV techs and the people who work in service centers as I would all people, with dignity, even when they have screwed up.

Sorry, but leaving my house in the hands of a stranger is not "common sense".
Old 09-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Would you look over your doctors shoulder while he did surgery on your spouse? Maybe give him a tip or two on what angle to make the incision? .

Really? Comparing a mechanic to a surgeon? Seriously ?
Old 09-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Respectfully, I think both sides bring up some valid points. I have been to places where a half-assed job is acceptable to them and I have been to other places where they treat my motorhome or vehicle like it was the mechanic's personal vehicle.

Unfortunately, I do not have the mechanical knowledge to fix a lot of things myself or I would. I pay attention to detail and generally expected my vehicle repaired properly the first time and returned as clean as it was when I dropped it off. $100 an hour is the going rate and I expect the mechanic to take a few minutes for me to explain what the problem is and to answer my questions. This is all about building a relationship and the mechanic knowing what I expect.

I like to watch the repairs being done more for my knowledge than to "supervise" or "harass" the mechanic in getting the job done quicker. One thing I have noticed is a lot of mechanics or Dealership service advisors do not follow the RV forums, so I usually have more knowledge about my RV (and it's accessories)and its potential problems. This can come in handy if the mechanic or service advisor is willing to listen.

Just my thoughts!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
I expect the mechanic to take a few minutes for me to explain what the problem is and to answer my questions. This is all about building a relationship and the mechanic knowing what I expect.

I like to watch the repairs being done more for my knowledge than to "supervise" or "harass" the mechanic in getting the job done quicker. One thing I have noticed is a lot of mechanics or Dealership service advisors do not follow the RV forums, so I usually have more knowledge about my RV (and it's accessories)and its potential problems. This can come in handy if the mechanic or service advisor is willing to listen.

Just my thoughts!
Ditto, John. You made my point better than I. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #23

What do I do when my rig is in the shop ???? I PRAY alot.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When having trans repaired and rear main bearing on engine repaired the rig is on a hoist. Don't ask me how I know. Sooo, look for the cheapest motel in town because you will need all your dollars to pay for the repairs. Or find a loan shark in your spare time if your bank account is low.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #25

Back to the OP's question. I have only not been able to stay in the Coach twice in 20 years. Once when the fuel tank had to be dropped (unplanned) and the second time it was planned for painting and a motel was then answer reserved ahead of time.

Any other maintenance stops while full timing we were allowed to spend the night in the coach. This includes Freightliner, Cat, Cummins, Sparton or Newmar facilities. Usually with electrical hook ups.

Few stops take more than a day. Worry about something else.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
Old 09-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #26

We spent 8 days broke down in Ohio last year. We stayed at a Red Roof Inn because they are pet friendly. Our extended warranty insurance paid for 3 days lodging and meals for wife and I.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
89 sandman, I have tried doing what you suggest for 13 months now and it hasn't worked out to well !!! I don't have a lot of choices were I can go. You make it sound like it is easy to find a good honest tech. It may be at your location . I am amazed at the guys that are knowledgable how to work on their motor homes and do not understand that a lot of people don't have the time or do not know how to work on them. If everyone worked on their MH you wouldn't have had a job. I don't want to offend anyone and that is not my attention at all. But I am tired of several people trying to put a good spin on how good MH repair is . As I have traveled the last 15 years in travel trailer/ MH I have not meet to many people that has had good experience with repair shops / dealers . I have had the MH the last 13 months and I have done just as you suggested didnt get in the way and put my faith in them to service the MH properly. I have had things they aren't working on damaged. Spent countless time on phone to service dept. trying to get things done. I figure their is a lot of people saying to me ,go to another shop. I assume three shops and a road tech is not enough. I will get off my soap box now. Just had to get that off my chest.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
We're not full-timers - but we did purchase our rig from a dealer that's roughly 200 miles from our "stick and brick" home. The dealer was great to work with throughout the purchase process - so we've been happy to give them our business after the sale. We haven't had any big problems that have needed to be addressed - however we have made a couple of trips up to the dealer for maintenance/installation work/minor repairs. When it's time for a trip up to the dealer - I make a list of what needs to be done and contact them well in advance to schedule it. So far, I've been able to give them 1-4 days to get the work done. They typically triage my list of work on the first day - just in case any parts need to be ordered. I stay in the coach for the time the work is being done ... and enjoy a 50 amp hookup while I'm there. During the day - I work my day gig (which I do via a VPN connection in my coach on a regular basis anyway). They take great care of me ... and I usually come away having learned something new about my coach to boot. I've got no complaints.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote