Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
What do you do when your rig is in the shop?

This has probably been asked before, but my searches were not yielding the answers to my question. I'm sure I just wasn't using the right "key word" in my search. Anyway, my husband and I are going to buy a Class A Diesel Motorhome in the near future. Since our truck is currently in the shop for extensive engine work, it made me wonder what people do when their Motorhome is in the shop. Where do you sleep? Is there some Roadside assistance which covers a hotel or am I making this more complicated than I need to?

Guidance please....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

Are you asking as a "full timer" or just a regular RV owner ?

We've had ours in the local shop a few times... we just drop it off and return when its done...

Once, we went to Forest City, IA (home of WBGO) and they worked on it while we waited.. it took a couple days, they made it "livable" and returned it to us for the night.. Others decided to get a hotel room so they didn't have to put everything back together, just to take it back apart the next day.. I guess it would be a personal choice and depend on the extent of the repair..

The scenarios on this question are endless... I would suspect all answers are dependent upon the severity of the repair and location (house vs chassis)..

Hope that helps !!

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I am talking about FT. We will no longer have a S&B house, just the rig.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Most of the big manufacturers seem to let you live in it unless the repairs means it has to stay in the shop (extensive paint for example).

Our dealer has a complimentary parking area. It has 50 amp service. Each morning you "get out" of your MH and the tech takes it into the shop. We have the choice of touring the area (dealer has courtesy cars or use your own) or sitting in a very comfortable customer lounge with coffee, etc and wifi. At the end of the day the tech delivers the coach back to the plug in line and you move back in to spend the evening and night.

The dealer will dump the tanks and fill water if that service is required.

I have heard of some manufacturers who will let you observe the work and even stay in the coach if you are not in the way of repairs.

Of course there is always the option of staying in a motel or hotel. We prefer the comfort of our own home.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on the severity of the service to be performed, I check into a motel, or I'll plan a far-away non-RV vacation trip.

The key to service as a fulltimer is to NOT simply drop off the RV and leave it at the mercy of the service writer's scheduling prowess. It will be shuffled to the service department's convenience, not yours.

I only drop off my RV when I receive a conformation hat all parts are in stock, all authorizations have been received, the technicians are available for work, and that I'm going to pick it up at a scheduled day and time, (preferably washed and waxed)!
Old 09-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #6

I have had a few minor things done that took less than a day to fix. I always watch over the tech's shoulder as much as I think I can get away with. In shops where they don't let you in the service bay, I hang out side and watch unless they close the door then hang around the service desk just to let them know I am waiting. I occasionally ask how things are progressing in a nice and mannerly attitude.

Freightliner full service took a day and half and they have a parking area with 50 AMP service and a dump station for the over night stay.

Hey, it's our home! I don't let strangers have it.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I spend the time saying good by to the contents of my wallet.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #8

As a shop owner I would suggest not bugging the tech's. Your job will get done faster with less chance of something being overlooked if they can just do their job and not have to "entertain" you. If you don't trust them then you should take your unit to somewhere you do and if that's not possible then just do the work yourself You need to do your part to be a "good" customer just as you expect your mechanic to do good quality work. The phrase we charge $100 an hour, $200 if you watch comes to mind...
Old 09-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #9

Last year we spent about three weeks in "Camp Parking Lot". Only one time were we out of the MH overnight and the shop guys went way out of their way to take care of us. Usually we could get electricity and water even at non-RV shops.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Our dealer is Alliance Coach out of Wildwood Florida the dealer has a complementary Camping Area with 50 amp service and water. Each day the tech takes it into the shop we can stay with the coach while being repaired or wait in lounge area At the end of the day the tech delivers the coach back to a site plugs in and you are ready to spend another night if required.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Are you asking as a "full timer" or just a regular RV owner ?

We've had ours in the local shop a few times... we just drop it off and return when its done...

Once, we went to Forest City, IA (home of WBGO) and they worked on it while we waited.. it took a couple days, they made it "livable" and returned it to us for the night.. Others decided to get a hotel room so they didn't have to put everything back together, just to take it back apart the next day.. I guess it would be a personal choice and depend on the extent of the repair..

The scenarios on this question are endless... I would suspect all answers are dependent upon the severity of the repair and location (house vs chassis)..

Hope that helps !!
Yep! Same scenario with us. We continued to live in the MH while they worked on it. We simply staid out of their way.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:06 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've never expereined this myself, but I've spoken to many that have had to leave their full-time coach at a shop for an extended time. In addition to the excellent suggestions above, here are some things I've heard people do with success:

1. Many RV repair shops can loan you an RV to stay in while yours is being worked on. Not all of them, of course, and not usually for very long, but it is an option to at least ask about.
  2. Many full-time RV'ers will rent an RV to move into temporarily while theirs is in the shop. It would be expensive to stay in a rental indefinitely, so the shorter the better, but it's another option that some find better than getting a motel.
  3. Check with the shop or look online to see if there are any RV clubs in the area. If you ask their leadership nicely they may put the word out to the members that you need help with a rig to stay in for a short time. The RV community can be very close-knit and helpful - like everyone here - so I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by the responses you get.
  4. Camping in a nearby park is another option - tent camping, of course. Might have to buy a tent and sleeping bags, but that could be cheaper than a motel room or renting an RV.
Here's hoping you never have to put any of these to the test

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our engine blew, took 5 weeks to get it fixed and put back together. Luckily we were only 40 miles from home so I made 6 trips back and forth to get the DW, 6 cats, and our necessary clothing, meds, food etc. home and out of their way.
If it happened several thousands of miles away we'd have had to find a motel that would take us and the cats for that time or drive back home in a hurry!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
As a shop owner I would suggest not bugging the tech's. Your job will get done faster with less chance of something being overlooked if they can just do their job and not have to "entertain" you. If you don't trust them then you should take your unit to somewhere you do and if that's not possible then just do the work yourself You need to do your part to be a "good" customer just as you expect your mechanic to do good quality work. The phrase we charge $100 an hour, $200 if you watch comes to mind...
It is exactly this kind of attitude that shows how far RV Service has to go to achieve good customer relations. I have a good chunk of my hard earned savings tied up in that motorhome which is also my full time home and I am already paying you a premium service charge so I should not expect to find grease on my bed or hands prints on my walls or dirt on my carpet. And I certainly don't expect you to say "it is fixed" and 5 minuets down the road I find out it is not.

I will take my rig to service centers that respect and cater to my concerns and I will avoid service centers that have reputations for giving poor customer service. That's why I value the information I get from the people on this and other RV forums. You screw one of them, you can bet you won't see me in your place of business.

I'm sorry if you are offended by these comments but I am retired from a career in customer relations management and know that the RV industry has a long road to hoe till it even comes close to good customer service. And good customer service does not cost an extra $100 an hour.