Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #15

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Class A motorhomes are a thing of beauty and I'm sure great curiosity for some. I'd like to know what you do in differing circumstances.

Do you have people walk up and ask if they can see inside your coach and if so how do you handle it?

Depends.

We will most likely travel from 9:00AM to 5:00PM (8 hours). When you're underway for that amount of time do you run the refrigerator? I ask because road vibration can't be a friend of the components. I've read that an improperly leveled coach can hurt the operation.

Yes, we run the fridge

While underway sitting on a couch for example, do you use a seatbelt?

When we are traveling, we use seatbelts.

Do you stand very often while underway other than using the bathroom? Hopefully not when you're driving!

We try not to do this while traveling. Should work fine but....

Do you have many problems with panhandlers etc while pumping fuel?

I have never had an issue where someone came up like that. I only use truck stops that are equipped to handle larger vehicles.

Thanks for your help
See responses to your questions above.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Another thing I'd like to ask is what surprised you when you started motorhomeing? Things that surprised you that's good and those that surprised you there were maybe not so good?
Not fulltimers, so surprised how often we use the washer/dryer. Have to store less dirty clothes and towels, and pack less clean ones.

Also very nice to have vacuum.

Kiawah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #17

Thanks Dave, That was something I decided from the start on my MUST HAVE LIST is stackable washer & dryer. And when I saw the central vacuum option I thought that was another great thing to have.

I wonder sometimes what options you'll actually use? Washer and drying and vacuum system are two of them for sure!
Old 05-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #18

It varies, and my bride rules on laundry and such.
The "sweep in" vac gizmo is nifty, the hoses and such, no. The Shark is our worker.
A big closet, nice hamper, and a fine laundromat make DW happy.
Choose wisely, Grasshopper!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #19

Wow your DW calls you grasshopper? Mine gets closer to Dirt Devel and yes, even Shark!
Old 05-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #20

I'm the same answer as most of the others but I try to stop at no more than 2 hours, go out and walk around the coach as a protection from leg blood clots, one of which I've gotten.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Emphatic NO to any strangers who ask to see the inside of our coach. Somebody we've met in a park ... talked to for awhile and have gotten to know a little bit ..... maybe - but a random "nice RV can we see the inside"? types ... never.

Ours is an "electric only" residential refrigerator - we typically turn it on the night before we depart ... and leave it running until we return and park the coach back on the storage lot. If we're not connected to power - we're either powering it with inverted power from either the batteries, the generator or the coach engine. Our house batteries will power the 'fridge (along with a few lights if/when needed) for 8-12 hours without much problem.

It's usually just the two of us - so it's rare to have a passenger sit anywhere other than the "co-pilot" seat. We wear seatbelts when we're moving - but aren't uber-nutz about it. If the conditions are appropriate - whoever isn't driving may move unbelt and move about the cabin (bathroom mission, snack mission, etc.) "Appropriate conditions" typically mean either cruising at maximum speed on a freeway - or stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. In town where there are constant stops ... we stay belted in.

We rarely travel more than 2 hours with a stop. Even if it's just 4-5-4 minute pause to hit the bathroom, change drivers, etc. I'm trying to get into the habit of grabbing the laser thermometer and taking a quick walk around the rig every time we stop. I like to see that tire temps are consistent and normal as well as look for anything out of whack (toad connections, basement doors open, bikes moving on the bike rack, tie downs on the kayaks, etc.).

I'm 6+ feet tall and while I'm heavy, I do sport what obviously was once a muscular physique. I'm easily approachable 99% of the time ... however, I can flip into "bristle" mode if/when panhandlers, strangers, etc. start getting to close. When I do flip into "bristle" mode - folks usually give me the space I'm looking for. I don't view myself as a "bad ass" ... but when I start sending signals I want to be left alone, the nuisance types usually find an easier mark.
SpaceNorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #22

With all of the changes in Gasser Class As the last few years, we have met a few folks at FMCA Rallies that are curious about what options we chose. The biggies are the drop down bed and residential fridge. The Rally is a pretty safe place to show off a coach and answer questions. never had a stranger just come up and ask.

We run the fridge from the day before we leave until after we get back. It is a Samsung, and even has a quick mode when first starting it up. We only use this if we are plugged in, as the first few hours is a big drain on power.

It is just the two of us, so we do not walk around, or sit in areas other than the Captain and CoPilot chairs when driving.

A big surprise for us was how much we enjoy the Fireplace to take the chill off in the morning. Another was how much we like the outdoor TV.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #23

Do you have people walk up and ask if they can see inside your coach and if so how do you handle it?

We have been asked once by a someone who had an older motor home built by Newmar like our coach and we did let him look. We also invited 2 couples we met at a campground that had R-pods.

We will most likely travel from 9:00AM to 5:00PM (8 hours). When you're underway for that amount of time do you run the refrigerator? I ask because road vibration can't be a friend of the components. I've read that an improperly leveled coach can hurt the operation.

Fridge is a residential and is always on during the "season"

Always

Do you stand very often while underway other than using the bathroom? Hopefully not when you're driving!

I'm the one not driving so getting drinks & snacks is another one of my many jobs.

We have not.

Thanks for your help[/QUOTE]
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Class A motorhomes are a thing of beauty and I'm sure great curiosity for some. I'd like to know what you do in differing circumstances.

Thanks for your help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
We have showed people the inside of our MH when they come up and tell us how much they like it, and are considering a purchase. But it depends on who it is and how the conversation goes. There's really only been a handful of people that have actually asked to see inside it. Often when they are admiring it, we ask them if they want to see inside, if we like them.

The fridges are made to be run while traveling, you can either run on propane or via the generator on ours, and it switches automatically. The system is set up so that while in motion being level is not a requirement as the motion compensates for the fridge to operate properly. I think turning it off while traveling would be worse wear and tear than leaving it on.

Seatbelts....depends, when we have our grandkids with us they always wear a seat belt while we are underway. My wife will sometimes go sit with them and does not always put one on.

You can walk around the MH while it is underway, and people(other than the driver) can easily use the restroom with no problem. My wife will often get up and make me lunch or get me something to drink while traveling. That's the beauty of traveling in a MH, no more potty stops, or lunch brakes unless you just want to stop and see something or the driver needs to stretch.

We've been approached by panhandlers while gassing up or sitting in a grocery store parking lot. Again with me It's all how the conversation goes, sometimes I ignore them, sometimes I give them a couple bucks. I'd rather give them food though as the majority of them are just looking for beer/drug money.
Pretty much sums it up - We usually offer a glass of wine to people who ask about the Coach and have met a few nice couples over the years.

Quote:
Thanks guys, Another thing I'd like to ask is what surprised you when you started motorhomeing? Things that surprised you that's good and those that surprised you there were maybe not so good?
I've been doing this sort of thing my whole life - Dad was Navy and we had 11 Road trips across the USA before I graduated from High School - Still remember most every trip. Love to tail gate - over a hundred games over the years and we have often spent the night at the stadium after the game - great to not have to drive home. The best thing is that I sleep better in the Coach than anywhere else - just love the home away from home - not so good is the DW will not go full time.

Next adventure (I hope) is to do all this again with the Granddaughters.

Hope this helps you out,

Busskipper

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #25

I used to get up and get coffee, etc. After we were hit by a speeding dump truck last year, I am glad I was belted in. It was like a bomb exploded with glass and items flying around inside.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #26

Actually, I've never had anyone walk up to our RV while underway___.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:34 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club

Nope. But they always comment on how rich I must be.......followed by. ...."have any money"

Fridge always on. Level matters when stationary

Yes

Yes, it's a wonderful advantage of a coach

About 50% of the time.

Thanks for your help[/QUOTE]
Old 05-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Thanks Dave, That was something I decided from the start on my MUST HAVE LIST is stackable washer & dryer. And when I saw the central vacuum option I thought that was another great thing to have.

I wonder sometimes what options you'll actually use? Washer and drying and vacuum system are two of them for sure!
Our vacuum doesn't seem to have much suction and I've found a section of the pipe disconnected and replaced the bag. Still not very powerful.

We have the washer/dryer stack combo. The only "problem" is that the dryer is 240 Volt so have to run the gen or be on a 50 amp shore power.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote