Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 10:04 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Class A motorhomes are a thing of beauty and I'm sure great curiosity for some. I'd like to know what you do in differing circumstances.

• Do you stand very often while underway other than using the bathroom? Hopefully not when you're driving!

Thanks for your help
Standing while using the bathroom underway can have weird consequences. Acceleration and deceleration tend to screw with my aim............
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 10:46 PM   #30

Talking

Quote:
Class A motorhomes are a thing of beauty and I'm sure great curiosity for some. I'd like to know what you do in differing circumstances.

• Do you have people walk up and ask if they can see inside your coach and if so how do you handle it?

Yes, this has happened to us, and the answer is no. We have even had someone try to open the door at a fuel stop. I always lock the door when I get out of the bus when at a temporary stop. I even lock the door if I'm doing a walk-around.

• We will most likely travel from 9:00AM to 5:00PM (8 hours). When you're underway for that amount of time do you run the refrigerator? I ask because road vibration can't be a friend of the components. I've read that an improperly leveled coach can hurt the operation.

Our refrigerator is a NorCold and is always on. If we need A/C the generator is running and the refrigerator is running on AC power. When it's cold the generator is usually off and the refrigerator is then running off propane.

• While underway sitting on a couch for example, do you use a seatbelt?

No. The only time we use seat-belts is in the front seats.

• Do you stand very often while underway other than using the bathroom? Hopefully not when you're driving!

My wife is often up and moving while I'm driving. Sometimes she's even cooking or baking. I often get yelled at for taking corners too fast...

• Do you have many problems with panhandlers etc while pumping fuel?

No, not while fueling. Rest area's are another issue...

Thanks for your help
Answers above...
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:08 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
General statements: Surprising how level a site really needs to be to make it good for a MH. Trailers are easier.

Specific: Surprised we use the half bath and fireplace a LOT. Happy that we have an electric awning and surprised how much more often we use the awning.

Surprise at how noisy our gas model is. Surprised that we are still thinking of getting a DP.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:06 AM   #32

What do you do while underway?

Quote:

• Do you have people walk up and ask if they can see inside your coach and if so how do you handle it?

• We will most likely travel from 9:00AM to 5:00PM (8 hours). When you're underway for that amount of time do you run the refrigerator? I ask because road vibration can't be a friend of the components. I've read that an improperly leveled coach can hurt the operation.

Thanks for your help

My frig runs 24/7 till I get home.
After my front tire blow we always wear seat belts.
I never go to the bathroom while driving.
No panhandlers if I did I'd say I don't have any money I'm having to buy fuel.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:18 AM   #33

The only pan handler we experienced had an elaborate story of needing gas money to get home. I asked what he did with the money I gave him two weeks ago. He mumbled something about buying gas with it and quickly moved on. No, I didn't give him any money two weeks ago, but he didn't remember that. You would think he could change up his story.

We do wear seat belts, but we also have discussed plans for a rapid deceleration if one of us is standing. What to grab and where to throw yourself to avoid the dash and windshield, such as onto the couch and against the slide wall. Crouch to dash level to avoid the windshield. This obviously depends on level of agility. The planning and practice makes it an instinctive reaction to deceleration. The driver always calls out stops, curves, railway tracks, etc. when someone is up.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:26 AM   #34

As others have said, there's a reasonable time to get up and times not to. On the open road going 65 mph seems like a reasonable time, where in town stop and go, not so much.

Everyone should have a seatbelt on in the drivers or passenger seat! I was curious if most folks also have them on while on the couch or the dinette?

Happy Memorial Day!!!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #35

I always say that all of my travel expenses are on a credit card and I don't carry any cash.

Quote:
... • Do you have many problems with panhandlers etc while pumping fuel?...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #36

Good idea George! No cash no handouts. For years I've carried 5 $5.00 Mickyd's gift cards. You hungry, here you go!
Old 06-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
It's kinda funny because with our Class A we've seldom been approached but we also have a very restored pristine looking Class B camper van (a 1988 Falcon 190) that we drive for fun once in a while and people often come up in CGs, grocery store parking lots, gas stations, etc., and ask about it. Eh, go figure?
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #38

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

I've had people strike up a conversation at gas stations. Usually things like, "what does it take to fill THAT up?" or "My <so-and-so> has a motorhome/camper/RV and we've used it once...blah blah blah" Never had anyone ask to see inside. If it happened outside of a campground I would simply not allow them in. Too many crazies out there.

Fridge runs all the time, they are made for that environment. In the summer I also run the genny and house AC to keep kids and pets comfy.

No

Only when my wife drives, which isn't too often. When I'm in the seat we don't stop except for gas or if I have to use the bathroom. My wife calls me a camel because I can go 3 or 4 hours without having to stop.

Never had a panhandler approach me, but usually I'm not standing by the pump when fueling, I'll be checking tires, purging trash, using the bathroom, or something else.

Thanks for your help
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #39

That reminds me. Do you drink the water from your fresh water tank?
Old 06-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #40

Windshield damage

We are in transit and a large rock hit the windshield and left a large softball sized crack. We are trying to get it repaired on the road but have had no luck with anyone having the windshield in stock. We aren't sure how far we can drive with it before it gets worse - we can see fine out the windshield. Any advice?
Nonny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #41

Nonny1, you may want to make a separate thread about your windshield to the forum so everyone can see it. Here it's buried and your question is an important one.

Hope you get it fixed and get back on the road. Happy trails!
Old 06-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
= Not vey often, but we usually invite them in if it's not a mess inside.

=Road vibration IS a friend to the rv fridge, so yes, we always run ours. Out of level is only bad when stopped and steady, the vibration of movement cures the problems of out of level.

= No. I'm 61 years old with 10 tours of combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. That didn't kill me. Be real, do you want to live your life in a bubble or do you want to sensibly enjoy it? However, when driving, 100% yes. I need to stay secured in the pilot seat behind the wheel for whatever comes. Copiloting, usually, just cause it feels natural.

=We stand and walk around while underway all the time, like being on a yacht. However, NOBODY stands to pee EVER in mama's motorhome. I never met a man, including myself, who can guarantee his aim.

=They only come around once. I can't stand losers and panhandlers and have a hard time hiding my feelings. And I am the wrong guy to get attitude with.

Thanks for your help
=You're welcome
Reply inside your quote.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote