Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #1

What do you do while underway?

Class A motorhomes are a thing of beauty and I'm sure great curiosity for some. I'd like to know what you do in differing circumstances.

• Do you have people walk up and ask if they can see inside your coach and if so how do you handle it?

• We will most likely travel from 9:00AM to 5:00PM (8 hours). When you're underway for that amount of time do you run the refrigerator? I ask because road vibration can't be a friend of the components. I've read that an improperly leveled coach can hurt the operation.

• While underway sitting on a couch for example, do you use a seatbelt?

• Do you stand very often while underway other than using the bathroom? Hopefully not when you're driving!

• Do you have many problems with panhandlers etc while pumping fuel?

Thanks for your help
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #2

• That would be a "NO"

• Yes, run Fridge both on AC and Propane, usually AC

• NO

• Only when my wife is driving.

• Never have. I prefer Truck Stops designed for large vehicles. I'll pay extra for the convenience.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
No you can't come in and see my home.
Fridge on all the time.
Seat belts yes, I raced to long to think they are useless.
Passengers move about as needed.
Panhandlers I just tell them go away.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #4

We have showed people the inside of our MH when they come up and tell us how much they like it, and are considering a purchase. But it depends on who it is and how the conversation goes. There's really only been a handful of people that have actually asked to see inside it. Often when they are admiring it, we ask them if they want to see inside, if we like them.

The fridges are made to be run while traveling, you can either run on propane or via the generator on ours, and it switches automatically. The system is set up so that while in motion being level is not a requirement as the motion compensates for the fridge to operate properly. I think turning it off while traveling would be worse wear and tear than leaving it on.

Seatbelts....depends, when we have our grandkids with us they always wear a seat belt while we are underway. My wife will sometimes go sit with them and does not always put one on.

You can walk around the MH while it is underway, and people(other than the driver) can easily use the restroom with no problem. My wife will often get up and make me lunch or get me something to drink while traveling. That's the beauty of traveling in a MH, no more potty stops, or lunch brakes unless you just want to stop and see something or the driver needs to stretch.

We've been approached by panhandlers while gassing up or sitting in a grocery store parking lot. Again with me It's all how the conversation goes, sometimes I ignore them, sometimes I give them a couple bucks. I'd rather give them food though as the majority of them are just looking for beer/drug money.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
If they are polite in the CG, of course-come on in, would you like a drink?

Fridge on and never drive more than 6hrs

No

No

No

Does that help?
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Class A motorhomes are a thing of beauty and I'm sure great curiosity for some. I'd like to know what you do in differing circumstances.

• Do you have people walk up and ask if they can see inside your coach and if so how do you handle it?

Nope, hasn't happened but it would be No. We just tell them we have seven cats with us and most don't ask!

• We will most likely travel from 9:00AM to 5:00PM (8 hours). When you're underway for that amount of time do you run the refrigerator? I ask because road vibration can't be a friend of the components. I've read that an improperly leveled coach can hurt the operation.

Refer is always on, even when we had an absorption unit on propane.

Always.

• Do you stand very often while underway other than using the bathroom? Hopefully not when you're driving!

Since she doesn't/can't drive I have to stop when I need to.

Only at home with the cars, truckstops are usually pretty free of them although I did have one trucker try to use my satellite pump for his truck. I caught him as he reached for the nozzle.

Thanks for your help
See answers above.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #7

Why only drive 6 hours?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Only happen once and at a campground where the other person had the same model MH and we ended up showing ours and they did the same - great way to learn some new modifications and space saving ideas. I had plenty of people ask questions about the RV or where I was heading at a Pilot or Flying J while filling up but none asked to see inside. Again like my non-movable home no one gets in until I get to check them by talking to them and using good judgement.

• We will most likely travel from 9:00AM to 5:00PM (8 hours). When you're underway for that amount of time do you run the refrigerator?

I usually turn the Refrigerator the day before we shove off on a trip and leave it on Auto (Elec/Propane) until I get back home and empty the refrigerator which is usually the day after the trip. That way when I am plugged in it is working off electric and when unplugged working off propane. Unless there is a tunnel or other restriction to the use of propane which I turn it off for the tunnel only or restricted area and then back on.

Depends - some times the wife will take a nap on the couch while underway. If traffic is heavy or it's stormy out - yes.

• Do you stand very often while underway other than using the bathroom?

I don't however the wife will head back to the bathroom or get something to drink out of the refrigerator or an occasional snack out of the cabinet - again not usually in heavy traffic or stormy conditions.

It happened once at a rest stop in New Mexico - he said his rv broke down and the story was full of holes and at a Pilot in Louisiana again the story didn't make sense - sent them both on their way. Compare to the number of times I have gotten gas or stopped at a rest area - I would say perhaps just a small annoyance rather than problem.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wake up at 8, drive at 9, park at 3 and DW better be having Martini's shaken by 3:15! I am never in a hurry...but I could drive 12-14hrs no sweat
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #10

I suggest you relax and not sweat it. Ask your neighbors if you must, but it will all work out just fine!
Happy trails

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #11

Quote:

This has never happened to me.

We never shut off the refrigerator while driving. It's a motor HOME after all. Same goes for the furnaces and the A/C.

No, never.

Not usually. I often drive 4-5 hours between stops.

This has never happened to me.

Thanks for your help

My responses are within your quote...
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Why only drive 6 hours?
Why drive longer? Between point A and point B, there's usually a point C worth seeing.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you show me your coach I'll show you mine. I love talking coaches with other coach owners. If you don't own a coach, then it depends if I like you.

Everything is on while we travel. Want to use the microwave, I'll start the generator. Our residential fridge runs 24/7 through the camping season.

Never had an issue with a panhandler.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:42 AM   #14

Thanks guys, Another thing I'd like to ask is what surprised you when you started motorhomeing? Things that surprised you that's good and those that surprised you there were maybe not so good?